Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1.6 to 1.8 Miata Conversion Motor Swap Thread.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    Paul, I totally agree with you. The mount is extremely close to the CAS wiring harness. So close that I had to loosen my FM mount to unplug/plug in ny CAS wiring when doing a repair. This could probably be fixed with an angle grinder, or just ignored, by having to loosen 2 extra bolts.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! psulja's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Twilight Blue/1991 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    Yup, I wasn't expecting it to be that close and I needed to adjust my timing. Cutting it could work but we bent it out of the way, just enough to give rotation of the CAS, since I didn't really have time to pull out the cutting tools at the time.
    Paul | IG- @psulja
    Build thread:
    1991 Mariner Blue - Built 1.8 swap, EFR, Fab9Tuning, Tii drivetrain

Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    I really need to put a gun to my car

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power JLBMX5's Avatar
    Drives
    Red '93 Miata
    Thanks Given
    You guys did not check timing at shop when installing the motor. Is timing light something I need to add to my shopping list ?

Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    no, I have access to one you can use. the motor has been running well with no audible detonation, so it has to be pretty close to dialed in.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    i didn't have a timing light so mine is just set somewhere that the car seemed happy. Still need to set it with a light.
    Paul | IG- @psulja
    Build thread:

Stalled - Fire it up!
    Drives
    silver 1991 MX-5
    Thanks Given
    I just signed up so I'm not sure if I do this right. It looks like the forum is a tad bit old but since I am thinking of doing a swap I'll see if I get a reply. I have several posts on the topic and the beginning of this one was great, it that list didn't scare you off then your motivated. Anyway. I'm in the process of gaining info. currently and have considered two different things. I have a 1.6 considering a Flying Miata Turbo Kit for it, the FM II, which would boost me to 230 hp or swap for a 1.8 and then Turbo from there giving me up to 400 hp per similar swaps seen on youtube with Dyno run. Is anyone running on this forum anymore?

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Golden Stallion's Avatar
    Drives
    2008 RX-8
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCheeze View Post
    I just signed up so I'm not sure if I do this right. It looks like the forum is a tad bit old but since I am thinking of doing a swap I'll see if I get a reply. I have several posts on the topic and the beginning of this one was great, it that list didn't scare you off then your motivated. Anyway. I'm in the process of gaining info. currently and have considered two different things. I have a 1.6 considering a Flying Miata Turbo Kit for it, the FM II, which would boost me to 230 hp or swap for a 1.8 and then Turbo from there giving me up to 400 hp per similar swaps seen on youtube with Dyno run. Is anyone running on this forum anymore?
    I don't have any info for you on the swap details but I can speak for the community a little. The thing you have to remember is that we aren't as big as the other forums. We have plenty of people that are still active on this forum. some are daily, some check in every couple of days or so, and some people live on this forum. We have people that would never even think about using another forum here and some that use others like CR more. My point is, this forum is very active, we just don't always have much to say in the engine swaps section. Hope you enjoy this forum and someone that has more experience can comment on your question. also one thing, a fm2 kit at 12 psi(what our engines can take before becoming really unreliable), you are going to be no where near 400hp. You would have to go with a built engine to handle more boost and things along that. just thought I would clear that up if you were a bit confused.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCheeze View Post
    Is the question about swapping a motor, then adding a turbo? If HP is your primary concern, you can make more with the 1.8. 400bhp on a 1.8 is doable, but it's not necessarily a "bolt" on affair. That level of power, reliably, is going to need some serious engine work. Ball park price range to put down that much power, reliably, is going to be about $5-12k. You can cut a lot of corners, but you will start breaking stuff in a hurry. 300hp is around where the driveline starts to run in to issues, primarily the transmission.

High HP numbers are great and everything, but you also have to think about what it's like to drive the car, too, which is entirely different. 400bhp sounds more like a dyno/strip queen than a daily driver.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

tsingson (11-03-2014)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    On mobile so can't get into it much but you're gonna need more than just a swap for 400whp. How much power do you actually want to make? And whatever that number is, have you ever ridden in a miata with that much power?
    Paul | IG- @psulja
    Build thread:

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psulja For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (11-03-2014),tsingson (11-03-2014)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    budget for 400whp RELIABLY, starting with an na6 easily clears $10K. I know I'm already passed that and I don't even have a motor.
    Paul | IG- @psulja
    Build thread:

14. The Following User Says Thank You to psulja For This Useful Post:

tsingson (11-03-2014)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    That is getting into LSx swap territory.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power JLBMX5's Avatar
    Drives
    Red '93 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Its been alittle over a year on my 1.8 swap and i still love it. My prother has a 1991 miata with 1.6 so i can ride with him from time to time and i can feel the difference. I am saving up for a turbo kit as well. Also in consideration is trackdog racing rotrex kit if it ever gets complete and sells as a kit. I am not looking for that 400 hp goal but a solid 220 sounds nice.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    That is getting into LSx swap territory.
    It is. But if you want reliable you have to think about just how much will break at 400whp. Just a regular 6 speed won't cut it anymore, better start looking at a real trans swap. A miata torsen is also really close to its limit there too, if not already past.

Then you have to think of fuel, cooling, meth, brakes, tires, oil system, hot and cold side turbo bits, safety components, etc.

Sure you can make that much power for less money, but how much will you be able to truly enjoy the car? I know I wouldn't be driving a 400whp+ car on skinny tires, small brakes, stock seats and belts, and a simple 4 point bar.

Just looking at the entire picture here ;)
    Paul | IG- @psulja
    Build thread:

18. The Following User Says Thank You to psulja For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (11-04-2014)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    400 hp would have me looking for an FC trans and diff, among other items.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123