Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: Jazz

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone speedypenguin's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Black
    Thanks Given
    Woah, it's been awhile since an update. In the almost two months since the last update, a lot has happened. Good things.

First off, a few weeks back, I went to my first track day! A local Miata club organized a Miata-only track event at Thunderhill Raceway Park. What a blast. I had a great time being able to drive Jazz at track speeds, and I know Jazz had fun as well. Probably even more fun than I did.

From my last update, I had acquired a JR header, and was able to install it before the track day. Might be me, but I'm sure it was the last piece of the "puzzle" for a full exhaust upgrade. Jazz definitely pulls harder than before, thanks to the RB intake-->JR header-->hi-flow cat-->JR exhaust configuration. He even sounds more "raw". (Manlier? ) I'll take a sound clip of the new exhaust setup in the future.

Here's a picture of Jazz's engine bay. I had also picked up a radiator cooling panel from Kenjo (Garagestar) as well.

Couple pictures taken at the track paddock. I had also mounted new RE11a tires onto my now-track wheels. Great tires, very progressive, and gave me lots of confidence.

So...were you wondering if I had a video clip from my first track day? Yup, I do.

After the track day, I know where I want to take Jazz in terms of performance mods. I will upgrade his suspension to better coilovers with improved shock and slightly stiffer springs, and install at least a front sway bar.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to speedypenguin For This Useful Post:

Dandy (10-21-2013)

Drives
    '94 Black
    Thanks Given
    Now onto the cool updates.

Awhile back, I was browsing CL for fun (it's a bad habit, since I do it way too often), and while scrolling down, the word "Nakamae" jumped out at me. I clicked the link, and someone local was selling a set of Nakamae transmission and door-sill quilted covers. I had to get them.

I was so excited about picking these up, that I forgot to take pictures of them uninstalled...but the quality is immaculate. Stitching is perfect, the quilted-covers feel exquisite...I could go on and on. My pictures do not do the Nakamae covers justice, but it feels amazing sitting in Jazz's interior.

Drives
    '94 Black
    Thanks Given
    Next update is a set of Retromodern climate control knobs. I've known Ken (owner of Retromodern) for awhile now, and I was hanging out at his place recently, as he was going to help me with some electrical wiring. While I was there, I asked Ken to make me a set of his climate control knobs. All I can say is...wow. Ken spent a long time finishing and polishing the knobs, and the difference they make to the interior is astounding. It's hard to believe that just a little touch makes a huge difference in the interior.

The quality of the knobs reflects on Ken's push for perfection. My picture does not do the Retromodern knobs justice, but trust me, these are must-have for an interior upgrade.

This is an IG image I took of the knobs...honestly I like this pic better.

Drives
    93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Nice score on the Nakamae covers. Thanks for the good look at the Garage Star radiator cooling panel. I need those same cut-outs. Cool video. You Cali boys have all the fun.

Drives
    '94 Black
    Thanks Given
    Now onto exterior upgrades. I've lusted after the M2-1028 mirrors awhile now, and was THIS close to buying a genuine set from Yahoo! Japan...but then the bidding on that set went nuts, so opted out of spending $500+ on a set of mirrors. I was a bit bummed out, but then noticed a set of M2-1028 style replicas being sold on the forum, and decided to get them. These mirrors were painted BRG, so I had them repainted in Brilliant Black along with my other exterior upgrade (refer to the next post. )

What do I think? I love them. The shape of the mirrors is very pleasant and overall profile fits Jazz much better than the OEM mirrors. I must confess, the visibility of these mirrors is quite poor. Rather than seeing an entire car next to you, as of now all I can see is a wheel and part of a bumper at best...but my friend recently gave me his Broadway wide-angle rear view mirror, so I can see cars behind me with that. But I may plan to get the "blue mirror lenses" from Zoom sometime soon (per a recommendation from a friend).

Last edited by speedypenguin; 10-21-2013 at 08:37 PM.

Drives
    '94 Black
    Thanks Given
    Finally, I saved the best update for last. Ironically, this will be my 100th post on MR.

I'm sure it's not just me, but there have been a lot of part-outs of well-executed and built cars recently. One of these recent parts was Kenjo's partout of his Garagestar Red NA. Now we all know that Kenjo had some very desirable parts on his red NA, but one particular part stood out to me...can you guess what?

Whaaaaat?
    IMG_2117.jpg

I had to get the GV tails for Jazz. I mean, how often does a chance come up like this, where there's a set of GV tails available locally with brand new lights and practically brand new tails? It was a very spontaneous choice, but I'm glad I did (I'm only young once right? ). Jazz was even more excited than I was to get a new butt...err I mean rear end...wait, new tails?

As you can see, the GV tails were painted red to match Kenjo's car, but had to be repainted for Jazz. I owe Kenjo for the hook-up to Car N Bike Moto in Vallejo, CA. Al (one of the owners) is super legit guy and his paintwork is immaculate (as you will see below). Thank you Al for painting my new GV tails and the M2-1028 mirrors. And thank you Kenjo for the GV tails.

I have to say thank you to Adam (revlimiter) for his detailed write-up for the GV tail installation. Without that, I'd have spent a much longer time with the installation. Thank you Adam (and Sharka!).

Okay, onto the install pics? Shall we?

Time for a butt transplant. Uhh...rear end enhancement? Who knows...

20 years worth of dirt and dust hidden behind the panel.

Better. It was actually quite easy to remove the finish panel...but that's because there were a few nuts and bolts missing...-_-"

Going from stock rear finish panel and taillights...

...to Garage Vary Nostalgic Tails and lights.

Mazda porter-cab lights.

Daihatsu (?) reverse light.

Covers.

Thanks to Adam's write-up, was able to put the covers on in one-go.

Test fit...

Finished.

Wow, what a difference. I've seen GV tail conversions in white, laguna blue, red, but never saw a conversion done in black in person before. Honestly, I love the GV tails. Plug-and-play with the Mazda porter cab lights and some additional wiring with the reverse light. Probably the best modification I've done for Jazz.

I have to give a shout-out once again to Ken from Retromodern. Thank you for teaching me how to wire in the reverse light, and for helping me get the GV tails to sit flush with the body.
    Last edited by speedypenguin; 12-07-2013 at 11:14 PM.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to speedypenguin For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (10-26-2013),atank (11-24-2013),tsingson (10-28-2013),WASABI (10-22-2013)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power ueru's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 NA8C, 1998 NB8C
    Thanks Given
    Love the GV taillights. Looking good!

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Ihatecars's Avatar
    Drives
    91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Crazy awesome updates! I absolutely love what you're doing with your Roadster.

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    The GV's are a Very Nice addition to your Roadster!!!!!!!!

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    That looks great!!!! I'm sure the fit of the GV finish panel was spot on too, having been fitted properly on Kenjo's car. Super addition!!!

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,353 Posts
    Very nice

Drives
    '94 Black
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandy View Post
    Nice score on the Nakamae covers. Thanks for the good look at the Garage Star radiator cooling panel. I need those same cut-outs. Cool video. You Cali boys have all the fun.
    Thanks. If you order one, just mention to Kenjo that you have ABS.

Quote Originally Posted by ueru View Post
    Love the GV taillights. Looking good!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihatecars View Post
    Crazy awesome updates! I absolutely love what you're doing with your Roadster.
    Quote Originally Posted by atank View Post
    The GV's are a Very Nice addition to your Roadster!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by WASABI View Post
    That looks great!!!! I'm sure the fit of the GV finish panel was spot on too, having been fitted properly on Kenjo's car. Super addition!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Very nice
    Thank you all! It's one of the best add-ons that I think NA owners can add. It's also makes me chuckle when I see people asking what kind of car Jazz is. And yes Wasabi, fitment is spot-on, thanks to Car N Bike Moto. They are a top-notch shop.

So yesterday, Willywongka, Garagestar, and I met up to hang out for a bit in the bay. Fun times were had. Photo credits goes to Kenjo.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to speedypenguin For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (10-26-2013),atank (11-24-2013),Ihatecars (10-26-2013),WASABI (10-28-2013)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift I<3flippyheadlights's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Spirited Green Miata!
    Thanks Given
    GV tails on GV tails on GV tails.

Very nice.
    1990 Miata, she was red but now she is Spirit Green!

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....d-a-love-story <--- build thread!

Also check out the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/IHeartFlippyHeadlights !!! Its a facebook page dedicated to the awesomeness which is flippyheadlights! Not me, but the actual headlights! High time someone noticed how awesome these things are; check it out!

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Damn, love the way your car is heading.

Drives
    '94 Black
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by I<3flippyheadlights View Post
    GV tails on GV tails on GV tails.

Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    Damn, love the way your car is heading.
    Thanks man! It's been fun piecing together parts.

Looking back at the past year, Jazz has transformed (haha get it?) a lot. I remember when I first got Jazz, all I planned to do was R-lip, suspension, wheels/tires, and bucket seat. I would not have imagined Jazz would be where he is now. I think this is because of the inspirational builds and posts I have seen on various forums and meeting other Miata/Roadster enthusiasts within our community who are equally, if not more passionate than I am about modifying our cars.

So where do Jazz and I stand now? Well, I think I owe it to myself, and more so to Jazz, to enjoy driving him as a car. Sure it's always fun to change things up and add/remove parts, but I feel I've been looking at Jazz as a template/canvas, rather than a driver-enthusiast car. I actually acquired a Recaro SPG that fits me better than my current Sparco setup, so I'll be installing that soon. I also plan to acquire a Joyfast shift knob at some point, mainly because I don't like seeing the gap between my Blox shift knob and my Project-G shift boot...but I digress. After those, no more modifications for awhile.

What does that mean? I'm going to put a pause on acquiring parts for now. Whether that'll be for a month, half-year, or who knows, I owe it to Jazz to take him on more drives, track days, autocrosses, etc...the point of having a car is to get to you places, and when you bond with your car, you'd want to go on journeys with your car, experiences that sometimes cannot be obtained just by adding/changing parts. I have also changed the timing belt and water pump recently, due a coolant leak that developed after the track day, so Jazz is in good driving condition for a long time.

So let's go on more adventures, Jazz.
    Last edited by speedypenguin; 10-28-2013 at 04:01 PM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to speedypenguin For This Useful Post:

atank (11-24-2013),WASABI (10-28-2013)

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast