Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910

Thread: PhatSpeed3 マツダ BL3FW

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MiataQuest's Avatar
    Drives
    faster now with the Ecotec 2.4 (1992 white NA)
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 443 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    2017 Subaru Limited STi by Randy George, on Flickr

So I got this 2017 Subaru STI as a replacement, however after a month of driving it I decided it wont work as a daily driver for me because it only gets 15 MPG on the highway
    Love is what defines a Subaru, not gas mileage.
    Wow only 15 MPG, that's crazy with today's technology. Is that because you kept your foot in it?

My 1979 V8 302 Thunderbird now gets 20 mpg highway after I de-smogged it.
    My 2001 Chevrolet Blazer that is shaped like a brick got 20.6 mpg last week driving to Tennessee and back. The only mod it has is a better exhaust.

Glad you are happy with the MS3. You should write up a brief comparison between the two.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MiataQuest For This Useful Post:

tsingson (11-26-2018)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power MLambert19's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 LS3 R.I.P. 1990 Donor Chassis in Progress!
    Thanks Given
    Glad you found a 'Speed3, Randy! A good friend of mine highway commutes in his and loves it. I think he's at or near 200K miles and never had an issue.

-Matt

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MLambert19 For This Useful Post:

tsingson (11-26-2018)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MiataQuest View Post
    Love is what defines a Subaru, not gas mileage.
    Wow only 15 MPG, that's crazy with today's technology. Is that because you kept your foot in it?
    Hardly, the gas mileage was a LOT lower when I would flog this car.

I was also shocked at the poor gas mileage in such a new 2017 car.

Quote Originally Posted by MiataQuest View Post
    ..........You should write up a brief comparison between the two.
    okay like a pros and cons... ??

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post

okay like a pros and cons... ??
    Which one would you rather pick for track laps and the Dragon?
    Which one is more fun to drive on the highway?

Drives
    Thanks Given
    On paper they look nearly identical, but I can assure you they are not.

2017 Subaru WRX STI -----VS------ 2013 Mazda Mazdaspeed3

Subaru-STi Engine 305 hp, 290 lb-ft
    Mazdaspeed3 Engine 263 hp, 280 lb-ft

Subaru-STi Curb weight: 3,391 lbs
    Mazdaspeed3 Curb weight: 3,281 lbs

Subaru-STi Stated MPG: 17 city / 23 highway
    Subaru-STi Actual MPG: 12 city / 15 highway

Mazdaspeed3 Stated MPG: 18 city / 25 highway
    Mazdaspeed3 Actual MPG: 18 city / 28 highway

Subaru-STi Fuel Tank Capacity, Approx : gal 15.9
    Mazdaspeed3 Fuel Tank Capacity, Approx : gal 15.9

Subaru-STi MSRP: From $35,195
    Mazdaspeed3 MSRP: From $24,995

POWER
    Both cars are very fast, the Subaru's AWD will help you launch with no problems, however the Mazdaspeed3 you will get some wheel spin as to be expected with most FWD cars and since the Mazdaspeed3 has so much power that comes on tap right away there is a lot of torque steer. The Mazdaspeed3s turbo is very quick to spool and the power is immediate, the mid-range has tons of torque too, so best not to get into full boost unless you are already rolling. The Subaru takes a bit to the build power up, it has a lot of boost lag IMHO, but once it spools up hold on!!

HANDLING
    Both cars hug the curves with no problem, but I will say the Subaru felt like it hugged the corners better. The Subaru feels more planted as well, and a bit lower/flatter, but on the other hand it felt too heavy and sluggish at low speeds, where as the Mazdaspeed3 still feels very light and nimble, much like a Miata. I will say the Mazdaspeed3 has a much better / tighter turning radius, and the STi you will need more room to make a U-Turn or tight parking spot.

COMFORT
    The suspension in the Subaru has two settings, Sport, and Super Sport, but ill be damned if I could feel much difference. Im not sure if it was the seats or the suspension or both in the Subaru but it was not fun on my daily highway commutes My butt and back felt like they got a workout everyday. The Mazdaspeed3 was much nicer ride quality on my 40 y/o butt, and back, where as the Subaru felt like a lowered car already, it was not kind at all to my butt.

MILEAGE
    The Subaru Gas mileage was actually quite a joke, especially when all the other 2017 Japanese cars are getting close to 30 and 40 MPG, I was expecting the same, so I was really disappointed in this category. I even called the dealer and was like, ummmm are these cars supposed to get such crappy mileage? The salesman chuckled, "yes, mine is lucky to get 17 if I hypermile it, hahahahah." The Mazdaspeed3 can get 28 MPG on the highway all day long (as long as you are not in boost). I tried that in the Subaru and best I can get is 15 MPG. Both have the same size gas tank and the Subaru got 225 miles on a tank of gas, whereas the Mazdaspeed can get close to 390 miles on a tank of gas.

Both cars are blast to drive, however being as I commute 50+ miles per day for work the Gas Mileage was "one" of the key factors pushing me back into the Mazdaspeed3

CUBIC SPACE
    If you have kids this will be a factor, the Subarus trunk was very slim and kinda small you have to lay down the kids backpacks and push them back to close the trunk, and the Subarus Rear Shelf Speakers sit low in the car and you lose a good 5 inches due to the speakers hanging up inside that Subaru trunk. This was not a big deal until I had to pick up my kids in the typical Florida Monsoon rains and i am racing to get the kids loaded and their backpacks dont fit in as easy, yeah getting soaked is not fun.

Mazdaspeed3 Hatch WINS on this hands down zero comparison, I have crammed so much stuff in the back of my Mazdaspeed3 I should get a movers award, not only can i easily toss in the kids backpacks with ease, but I can, and have in the past hauled anything, including: Miata 4-point rollbar, 12 x 5 gallon pails of paint, 10" thick chopped logs at least 20+, Big Rocks and concrete pavers for the yard/garden, 4 sets of rims and tires (separated), full Mazdaspeed3 catback exhaust and downpipe, 15 gallon tree and other various potted plants, 9 x 80 lb bags of soil, 2 miata front bumpers (Nopro & GHO) plus the fender flares for them, a desk, groceries, etc etc. I have really made this into my work truck, and did I mention it gets excellent gas mileage ??

STYLING . These are both great looking cars, the Subaru looks more serious bees knees though, where as the Mazdaspeed3 just looks happy, hahahha. The STi I had had a big wing on the trunk which seemed to attract the police like bees to honey. The first day I had it a cop followed me for several blocks likely running my tags, which is super annoying and stressful, a few days later a Honda was revving his engine at me and instead of following the Honda the cop followed me. This only happened once in the Mazdaspeed3, but numerous times in the Subaru (it had to be that big wing though), every time I felt like I was being profiled as a street racer. ugh . But honestly without that wing the Subaru looks like every other boring 4-door sedan, lame. So damned if you do, damned if you dont I guess.

OTHER NOTES
    The back window on the Subaru is rather small and if you have the big wing it feels even smaller, and there is no rear wiper on the Subaru, I got REALLY attached to the Mazdaspeed3 rear wiper blade, especially on rainy days, or colder days when you have that layer of fog, mist, dew or whatever, turn on the rear wiper and boom instant clarity. I like to just jump in my car and GO in the morning, I dont have time to wash off, or scrape off any morning dew when I go to work, and the rear defroster just takes too long. Hard to see cops following (pacing behind you) in the morning on the highway if you cannot see out that rear window.

My main 4 things that lead me back to the Mazdaspeed3

1. MPG
    2. Cargo Room
    3. Ride Comfort
    4. that rear wiper arm. Yo

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (11-26-2018),freedomgli (11-27-2018),HarryB (11-27-2018),MaRcOp01o (11-27-2018),MiataQuest (11-27-2018),MX5Wisher (11-27-2018)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    That was a great review. Thanks for that.

My son has a low mileage Mazda-3 2.5 hatch and loves it. He bought it new. He sometimes thinks he wants to get a Subaru to get some more room while having a sporty drive. This may convince him to keep the Mazda-3 until it is wore out.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MiataQuest For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (11-27-2018)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    hahhaaha there is NO WAY a Subaru will have more room than the Mazda3 Hatchback, unless they start making the hatch again, and then you still have to deal with the V8 gas mileage the Subaru gets. If he wants a sporty drive tell him to get a Mazdaspeed3

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Congrats on the new daily, Randy, wish I could talk my wife into a MS3 but she doesn't like wagons. I'd totally daily one!
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (11-27-2018)

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910