Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK based Fastback development thread

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! vindi49's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given

UK based Fastback development thread

A friend of mine is developing a fastback for his car. It's something he's wanted for ages and can't find anything on the market that he likes ... so he's making one himself!! It's obviously a huge undertaking, and as he's got more into it I think he's realised just how difficult it is ... especially how to deal with the boot entry and the fuel filler cap / aerial. He's been working on it for a year or so, and decided to get it sprayed so he can see how it looks ... it's hard to see the lines when the top is multi coloured and the car is a normal colour! He's asked for some feedback and thoughts on how it's looking so far, so I thought I'd see what you guys think.

I'll add some more close ups and maybe a video walk around, I love the overall shape but think I'd personally prefer the sides to be straight and would just live without the filler cap (can be relocated to the boot) and the aerial (don't have a radio). Andrew has added the scallops to allow it to be lifted on and off without having to change or move anything ... so fitting it takes the same time as a normal hard top. Very clever but I'm not sure if the shape works.

I would also prefer the side quarter windows to follow the lines of the car more. They are a quirky bubble window that's a shape the fabricator already had but I'm not sure they work for me. Very easy to change though!

Any thoughts / opinions welcome, it's not finished yet so would be good to get some feedback on it

Russell.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    I like the roofline profile and the subtle ducktail. I do not like the ending of the fastback above the boot, does not blend in and looks like an add-on. What I really find ugly though is the sides; should be flat without the scallops really, and windows are not flowing at all. My personal favorite would be Garage Woolery modified Autoconnexion, it looks like it should be there from the beginning. Also Autoconnexion solved the gas cap clearance issue elegantly, by tapering the fastback towards the rear, which IMO looks amazing.

That being said, it seems like a solid effort. If done properly (and marketed and the final price is reasonable), I would definitely like one for my build.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

vindi49 (12-20-2015)

Drives
    93 LE
    Thanks Given
    I'm not going to sugarcoat it. That looks just awful. Garage Vary and Autokonexion have decent designs. If you are not following their lead and trying to improve on those designs then you are doomed to failure in my opinion. As a personal DIY project, more power to your friend and all other opinions be damned.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dandy For This Useful Post:

artcentermiata (02-04-2016),fwdtamiya (12-21-2015)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given
    I think it looks terrible, but its his car. Not a fan of any fastback hardtop though, being charitable.

Drives
    Classic Red '91
    Thanks Given
    I don't like the way this looks.

I think the way Mazda made the NB coupe is the right design. Also as a DIY project I think it's a HUGE undertaking.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vegard For This Useful Post:

Dandy (12-20-2015),fwdtamiya (12-21-2015)

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate the feedback ... well, most of it anyway. If you're going to give feedback, make it useful. Comments like "it looks awful" would be better with details ... why does it look awful, where does it look awful etc.

As I've said, this is a development thread so this is very obviously not a finished product. The idea is to get some thoughts on how / where to change things, so if a Fastback is something you are interested in, here's a chance to make something nice so say what you think could be better. If you don't like Fastbacks I honestly have no idea why you'd comment!!

No idea if Andrew will sell these once he is finished, it's not his trade (he's a printer) but I guess he might if there was interest. Thanks for the pic Vegard, I'll forward that to Andrew as that's roughly what I'd thought for the side windows.

Russell
    Last edited by vindi49; 12-20-2015 at 10:25 AM.

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    Comparing Andrews fastback to the Mk2 coupe is interesting, I prefer the way the coupe stays wide ... although it doesn't end well, I think having a ducktail works a lot better. The Autokonexion one looks odd to me from a back view because it tapers in so much, kind of like a boat tail, although at the very back it ends a lot better, probably the best on the market. Looks amazing with a wing and a wide body kit as well!! I can't see how the AK boot works though, would be good to see some pics of that.

I think one of the ways the Coupe works better around the rear window is because it keeps curving, the Autokonexion one also works there because of the taper as it adds a curve and avoids any dead areas. On Andrews Fastback there is quite a big flat area from the top of the window all the way to the ducktail, which definitely needs something.

On speaking to Andrew, he's said he will keep tweaking it to improve it, but the first prototype one can be used to mess about with and test a few ideas on ... so fingers crossed he will chop out the side windows and flatten the sides and see how that looks.

It's worth mentioning that this is a fully working prototype, it clamps in place properly and can be removed in about 30 seconds, by one person. It does not leak, and has absolutely no wind noise, or creaks or rattles. The rear canopy opens, and gives good access to the boot ... pretty remarkable for a DIY effort. He does want to improve it though, so please give constructive ideas and they will be passed on.

Russell.

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    I like the roofline profile and the subtle ducktail. I do not like the ending of the fastback above the boot, does not blend in and looks like an add-on
    Very interesting, and I see what you mean here ... it stops on top of the boot, but there is a line maybe 2 inches further back that is what I'd see as the end of the boot. Will have to look at moving the end point back to that area. I guess another option (my personal preference) would be to remove the standard boot completely, and have the fastback boot extended right down to replace it, utilising the standard latch point. That would save a bunch of weight (9kg for a standard boot?) and also add another fixing point.

Russell.

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Russ, that's exactly how the AK boot works; albeit in AK's case it does not open, rather it has to be removed. It could be fairly easy to modify it to use the OEM hinges and latch though. Also IMO the taper on the AK is awesome and it helps A LOT with the gas cap issue; maybe the only way to make the stock one work. Anyway, some pics for inspiration:

And one of the best detailed/modified AK fastbacks:

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

Dandy (12-20-2015),WASABI (12-21-2015)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone wannafbody's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    The windows look pretty horribad on the UK version. It also needs to blend more at the trunk. The AK fastback pinches down too much on the trunk. It needs to look more like a 67 Mustang fastback, although more rounded. The Lightspeed(Australian) fastback looks the best of all of them.

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    The Lightspeed(Australian) fastback looks the best of all of them.
    Interesting, never heard of them. Did a quick googling and nothing came up, do you have any links by any chance?

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BlitzWing's Avatar
    Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given
    Hate to jump on the band wagon but I cant stay its a looker.

the rear windows just dont fit the lines and rather then bending the roof around the antenna I'd just remove it all together. IMO copy the AK design with it going to a point.

Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by vindi49 View Post
    Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate the feedback ... well, most of it anyway. If you're going to give feedback, make it useful. Comments like "it looks awful" would be better with details ... why does it look awful, where does it look awful etc.

As I've said, this is a development thread so this is very obviously not a finished product. The idea is to get some thoughts on how / where to change things, so if a Fastback is something you are interested in, here's a chance to make something nice so say what you think could be better. If you don't like Fastbacks I honestly have no idea why you'd comment!!

No idea if Andrew will sell these once he is finished, it's not his trade (he's a printer) but I guess he might if there was interest. Thanks for the pic Vegard, I'll forward that to Andrew as that's roughly what I'd thought for the side windows.

Russell
    Ok, as you ask, but because its a hardtop for his car, why should he care what I think;

Whats wrong:

1. The seemingly random rear quarter light shape bears no relationship to the rest of the car. Guess it was whatever was lying around.
    2. The aerial treatment. Given that this hardtop will likely wreck the paintwork of what otherwise appears to be a fine VR-Limited, there is no chance this will be regularly coming on and off. The owner might as well accept the inevitable and block up the aerial hole, and therefore cure the carbuncle. Right now it looks like its melted.
    3. There is something funky going on with the rear window, not in a good way, but the photos don't allow a proper assessment. The upper corner curvatures don't match the windscreen, and therefore this screen also looks like something that was found lying around the workshop, even though probably it wasn't.
    4. Double boot. Why keep the original boot lid, to have a lumpy rump?

I was under the impression this was a personal project and would remain a one-off, rather than potentially entering commercial production.

Drives
    93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Garage Vary solution:

This makes for a short fastback but functionality is retained.

Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given
    Coachbuilding skills should be able to emulate this NA with a metal top

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast