Page 1 of 24 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: KFJs "God's Chariot" e30

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts

KFJs "God's Chariot" e30

I am a slave to RWD German cars and I don't know why. Maybe it's my ancestry, maybe it's because I grew up around them in my formative teen years. My father was an automotive engineer and traveled abroad a lot. He spent a lot of time working with BMW as a supplier and always brought home really cool BWM racing posters I had adorned on my bedroom walls. I wish I still had them. He owned a couple, one of which he passed along to me when I was a more experienced driver. He also owned an '88 M5 that he and I drove to CA and back.

I tried to fill that void many years afterward with a '95 e36m3. Intoxicating engine, gorgeous body, poor interior and many electrical gremlins:

I sold it in '10 to help seed my consultancy. It did and I am glad it went to a good home.

I had another, lesser model e30 many years ago that needed a lot of work. I drove it to and from college while I was still in Detroit. It could never be what I wanted because I was too poor, too busy and lived in the Rust Belt. I had put almost 100k on that e30 before I sold at 250k and it still ran like a champ. After thinking about what I paid for the M3 and what I put into it, I knew I would have enjoyed a cleaner, well-kept e30 more. And so it goes...

So, I have been planning to buy this car from a good friend for almost a year. It is an '88 325is. I know him to be like me about his vehicles; particular and demanding. Fussy. He didn't have to talk me up about the car, I pursued him about it for many months. I knew he was looking for another car (e28) and the pursuit heightened when he finally found and bought one to his liking. I helped him to look for an NA Miata after he drove mine I had sold to a mutual friend. I offered planning and build advice for his intent.

Finally, the stars aligned and I was able to divert on return from a business trip to ATL to pick it up and drive it home. It is a well documented, no rust Southern car. All the desirable, preferred upgrades have already been done: welded in swaybar reinforcements, P/U bushings, electrical fan conversion, metal radiator, exhaust, Z3 shifter, Bilstein shock, H&R springs, 15" BBS euro-weaves, sticky tires. All the peripherals work as they should, A/C, PS (rebuilt), rebuilt PS rack, PW, PL (well, the PL don't work, but that's not uncommon. ) I drove it home on my wife's birthday. She has been very understanding of this disease I have for these cars.

She ain't perfect, but she's mine!

Since I knew I was buying it, I has been collecting parts for the last 6-8 months. I bought a set of plastic bumpers to replace the metal ones, a set of cleaner seats to replace the worn, haggard seats. Good friends of mine 2 hours away have been storing them in their garage for the last 2 months, because the seller was local to them and I asked them to pick them up for me. It good to have a nice network of friends across the country.

Mechanically, the car is very sound. 182k on it, new TB/WP etc. done the wek before I picked it up. A huge pile of documents and a box of new parts for odds and ends. My friend didn't have a garage and lives on a shaded street, so moisture, heat and sun exposure had crept onto the finish. No big deal for me. My first order of business was to swap out the seats and start to detail it. There is no better way to take stock of the condition of any car than to pour over it while detailing it. And so I did...

IMG_0594.jpgIMG_0595.jpgIMG_0597.jpgIMG_0598.jpgIMG_0599.jpgIMG_0600.jpg

8-10 hours over the last 2 days, the color is corrected and the crevices cleaned. I left the front valence alone because I am going to recondition it very soon with fresh paint.

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,353 Posts
    I <3 that car

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone DK Wolf's Avatar
    Drives
    MR.net Ball Breaker
    Thanks Given
    I can boner-town here right? Because... boner-town.

That's pretty freaking rad. I'd be down to own one of those, and I'm hunting for a daily for VA. Either going to be an older 3 series, or just rock a good ol' fashioned Grand Marquis like my old one! WOO!
    1994 Mazda Miata, 1992 Mazda Miata Sold, 1995 Mazda Rx7 (500hp) Sold, 1999 Subaru GC8 (310hp) Sold

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Yes that is a very good find!!!!! I wanna see it with the new bumpers installed......

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Come on up to a meet, Anthony.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanks all! I still have a boner. Maybe I should consult a physician.

DK - e30s are very popular in the southeast/mid-atlantic for Spec E30. They are out there, but like Spec Miata did to NAs, clean examples are getting tough to find. Maybe look at an e28 sedan? I see a lot of good ones in the region.

I am doing a long-term project. This is the replacement for the NA. Here is my inspiration:

This is also my inspiration for the build:

more of that here too:
    http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/23/j...-to-do-it-all/

Right now, I am just enjoying the smooth torque of an I6 and the grumpy idle that is reminiscent of something sinister. I am planning to swap in an s50/52 engine and transmission, brake upgrade, find an M-tech 2 kit, repaint (same color) and do some tasteful interior mods. I will also add some modern electronics for music, phone, and information.

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    Come on up to a meet, Anthony.
    I love NC, a trip up there would be great, and its getting that season!!! "KFG" I like that stance of that inspiration BMW!!
    Last edited by atank; 08-21-2013 at 09:50 AM.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Rogue's Avatar
    Drives
    93LE #737, 93LE #783, 92BnT, 95M, 90A and now a 97PEP
    Thanks Given
    Good Inspiration, i just wish I had the discipline to keep my shop that clean and organized.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! drv2fst's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Just found this on Monday http://godschariot.tumblr.com/

Love E30's
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death - Hunter S Thompson

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    I grew up German-Catholic, so take the enduring qualities of both, and you get the idea. Our home as a child was kept clean like the pope was going to arrive any minute.

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Kinda upset that I won't being seeing it tonight. Stupid HOA....

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone mini_fd's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Black Miata
    Thanks Given
    Your inspiration makes me want to look for a red one.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    OK here's what the can already has:

rebuilt steering rack
    rebuilt PS pump
    Z3 shifter
    PU suspension bushings
    braided brake lines
    aluminum radiator
    electrical fan, mechanical fan/clutch delete
    Ansa exhaust
    Bilstein shocks
    H&R springs
    Upgraded brake pads
    15" BBS
    Dunlap Star Specs
    Conforti Chip

there is more, I know I omitting a bit.

The maintenance items are all all up to date, very little was deferred. There are a few issues, but they are DIY and pretty easy fixes. The injectors may need refreshing, but that is doable too. Love the snarl the exhaust makes. It turns heads.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    Looked good, sounded beastly

Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,435 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Looks amazing, Steve

Page 1 of 24 1234567811 ... LastLast