Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grumpy's Roadster Evolution

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! mhogan0's Avatar
    Drives
    91 1.8 Miata
    Thanks Given
    wow man looks really good, what trim level is it that comes with the front lip and side skirts that u have my neighbor has the same lip/skirts on her car and i love it
    Praise be to Jah giver of speed and brakes, and the sense to know when to downshift

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Grumpy's Avatar
    Drives
    Grumman Wildcat (ok, 92 Miata) :
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by mhogan0 View Post
    wow man looks really good, what trim level is it that comes with the front lip and side skirts that u have my neighbor has the same lip/skirts on her car and i love it
    It's the appearance package. It doesn't come with a particular trim level. There's also a rear part to the package as well. Aside from the front, much of it is very subtle imho.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    it just occured to me, I never put in the mod that I was the test mule for. This actually happend this past spring...
    Axialflow made shifters for RX8's and were interested in one for the NC. I got in contact with him, and after a loong wait, we finally got things rolling. We test fit the rx8 shifter in the miata tranny and it was sooo close. all gears except reverse actually worked, but it caught on the edge of the upper transmission housing when shifting into reverse, never quite going fully into gear. After a bit more work on his part, we finally got the goods. The shifter,

and other parts involved with install.

shifting is a bit more precise, and about 20% or so shorter. Gear rolover noise is a bit more, but that could be due to a perforated upper shift boot. someday I'll get around to replacing it. LOL

knob location is approximately even with oem, he didn't shorten the shifter itself, but changed the pivot point, which is really how it should be done.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    My local club uses cbs to keep in contact on their runs, so I thought what the heck. I was looking for an all in the handset product, specifically the cobra 75 wx st. It requires a box ( basically just a filter/ and a place for all the connectors to go to.)

The regular handheld portables just don't have the range I'm hoping for due to the short antenna.
    I don't use the radio much, I've got Bluetooth streaming from my phone, or ipod in the glove box, so I figured I'd remove the stock antenna, and stick a 3ft firestik cb antenna in the oem spot. i used a small shim to try to reduce the angle it's at, but it's still not vertical. I may change my mounting option in the future, but we will see how this works out.

I thought about mounting the small box near where the oem placement for the fuel lid release is, but decided that in order to use it on runs it would require putting a hole/groove in the door of the cubby, and I really didn't care much for that idea just yet.. test mount shot:

As part of the receiving system, Firestik recommends a 18' cable for the antenna, and they say not to coil it. So the cable looks like this under the plastic trim. It's around the style/rollbar, and also uses the clips that were originally being used by the fuel release cable.

I then decided that since i've already got a hole in the console for an ipod cable, I could just retask the hole for the cb. I used some gorilla tape, and put the box under the area where the coin slinger is ( In front of the shifter.) No shot of the installed box, but this is how it looks when things are all back in place...

I may change the location, or find a more permanent way to mount it, but it will work for now.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Mexican_Guy's Avatar
    Drives
    the metro bus
    Thanks Given
    Ha! Interesting!
    2010 NCII TR

Drives
    Thanks Given

Re: Grumpy's Roadster Evolution

Spent yesterday learning how to use a sewing
    machine so I could make these:

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    mx5nc2
    Thanks Given
    i bet that feels way better then that crap plasather.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    yep it does. The first time I got in the car, i touched it and was like what the... oh yeah. cool.

Today among other projects (sorta car related) I put on the chrome vinyl that I got from my buddy Sean 3 years ago.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    not bad.. It would probably look better in bronze to match the wheels/badges, but definitely not bad.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    hadn't considered that... figured I had the chrome grill, mirror covers, and on occasion, luggage rack. My original inspiration for the car was something like this...

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    mx5nc2
    Thanks Given
    i like it.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Glad you made it through the winter, Charlie!

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Thanks! yep the winter was... let's just leave it at that. I'm hating the weather in ohio, it makes life top down... infrequent at best. LOL
    And now for something completely different. I decided to have some fun with the car instead. I'm likely getting rid of the chrome windshield surround, will have to do that sometime this week. Today's project? Teeth!
    First, I came up with my template:

Then using ledger from Lowes (about $11) I cut them out, and painted the mounting portion:

Installing them is a bit of a PITA on an NC, nothing like the easy NA and NB.

Finished:

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Gene Rodriguez's Avatar
    Drives
    1992 NA Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 429 Posts
    I want to see that in a NA ^^

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Gene, autoexpressions actually has them made for the NA. I based this design off their Diablo design. I am back to stock at the moment. The teeth were ok, but not being professionally made, didn't have quite the look I wanted. due to the clips that hold the stock grill in, they stuck out like a bad overbite, LOL.

At the moment I'm up in the air about keeping the car. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but don't want to drive it another winter. I've got to have a Miata for the non snow months, so I"m tossing around the idea of an NA, and a winter beater. Before I get rid of the NC though, it would be brought back to almost stock status.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast