Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Well...that was eventful!

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    wow yeah all the crap happening in the wrong ways at the same time, that reminds me of miatapalooza, folks that committed to help and then dropped out last minute, oh and the security guards wont let the vendors in the gates without me being present, and the folks with the portlet toilets cant make it until noon, and im 45 minutes away from the location, had to race over there and ended up with a split gasket and mad oil leak, with a buttload of bugs covering my car because I was driving before sunrise, and embarrassed to open the hood from the newly discovered pitched gasket causing the oil leak, the miata looked like crap that day, i was super stressed out, getting pulled from every direction, and cell phone was blowing up with calls. Did I mention the police chewing me out because we had a solid 2 or 3 miles of bumper to bumper miatas blocking a major roadway from the stadium to the highway? hahahah, So yes the drama and stress from big events is for real and quite a few on here can relate.

So those Bigger brakes fit with your wheels okay? you are on 15" now correct?

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

HarryB (09-26-2018),oldgrayleather (09-27-2018),tsingson (09-27-2018)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power druz's Avatar
    Drives
    Signal Orange '89 V8
    Thanks Given
    I planned on leaving at around 2pm for Monterey after picking up the trailer, loading and packing. It’s usually a 1.5 hour drive at tow speeds and then about 30 mins to unload the trailer. That leaves plenty of time for the BBQ/car show/registration/etc. Actually leaving at 3:45 meant a 2:15 drive because of traffic. We missed the BBQ but caught registration before they closed at 7. At least we made it. I was able to bump into some old and new friends at happy hour but had to call it an early night.

Track gates open at 7 so the day starts bright and early. Seeing a sight like this first thing tells you it’s going to be a good day Getting into track mode involves putting on the splitter, rear wing and Work S1 Meisters with 245 Rival-S. The first session was full of traffic. The second was better and all seemed to be running well. The third session I finally got a relatively clear lap.

Hit 122 mph but still lifted at the top of the crest on the straight. The front felt better with the splitter, but I’m going so much faster than most of the cars I can’t get over the fear of someone sitting on the other side at 80mph or braking early for the hairpin. Obviously tons to time left in the corners. I forgot to stiffen the Xidas so the splitter was dragging in 6 and corkscrew where there’s a good bit of compression but otherwise I was happy about the balance.

Session 4 Willywongka strapped on the Takatas and went for a ride. 5 or so laps in, the brakes started to act up and we had a slight off in 4. It didn’t seem to be clearing up after another lap taking it easy so we brought it in a lap or 2 short. It looks like the wheel weights in the RF came loose and that was either stuck or rattling around. There was only 1 more session so I went out to test the brakes again and they seemed to be good but on the 2nd lap going up the hill after turn 5 the engine started to stumble and miss. Time to call it a day. It was a pretty good track day though.

The only other problem that was nagging all day was I was blowing the Meter fuse. I’m using the stock wiring for the Stack gauges and apparently it’s drawing a lot more power. But I went up to a 25A and it still blew, so it needs more of a look. After letting the car cool down I wanted to log in the ECU to see if I could find anything obvious. Now it wouldn’t start. I’m fearing the worst, but my wife (and fantastic pit crew) asks if I have any gas. Well, since the gauges aren’t working I haven't been paying attention. Also, since I’ve never actually gotten 4 sessions in during the last 4 years, I’m not sure what kind of mileage I get on the track. But it completely makes sense. I borrow a fuel jug from my paddock neighbors (thanks Fred and Mike!) and pay $18 for 3 gallons of 93 octane from the track pumps. Of course my wife is right and all is well again.

This is the first year I planned on going to the track side dinner. It was a pretty nice spread and finally had some time to catch up with some of the KINOD crew, fwdtamiya, oldgrayleather, JonB and friends. That goes by pretty quickly and we reconvene at the hotel bar with the likes of Bogaut and his crew from the PNW. After being asked to leave the bar we spent the rest of the evening in the lounge area. Good times had by all.

After waking up late on Sunday, back at the track to relax and stroll around. Being on track is very time consuming and doesn’t allow for much time to check out the sites. There’s way less cars around but I still managed to get a few good pics. It's not too often you’ll get a pic and 2 out of the 3 cars will have RS Aizawa bumpers, RS Limited Recaro seats, and M2 mirrors. Let alone the OEM side skirts, Mazdaspeed hardtop or YSCC trunk lid. Next year we’ll have to fit in a Saturday pic to make sure everyone gets in. Hopefully speedypenguin and Bo will have their beautiful NA’s back in attendance as well. It’s the 30th anniversary, gotta do it right. This year was an absolute blast. The car ran relatively well and hanging out with great people, not just great Miata people but genuinely great people. Being in the Miatas for so long it shouldn't be a surprise to me, but it's still great to experience. Til next year.

5. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to druz For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (09-30-2018),Greasemonkey2000 (09-27-2018),HarryB (09-26-2018),JamieH (09-27-2018),MiataQuest (09-26-2018),Midtenn86 (09-27-2018),MX5Wisher (09-26-2018),oldgrayleather (09-28-2018),Phatmiata (09-28-2018),speedypenguin (09-26-2018),tsingson (09-27-2018)

Drives
    Signal Orange '89 V8
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    wow yeah all the crap happening in the wrong ways at the same time, that reminds me of miatapalooza, folks that committed to help and then dropped out last minute, oh and the security guards wont let the vendors in the gates without me being present, and the folks with the portlet toilets cant make it until noon, and im 45 minutes away from the location, had to race over there and ended up with a split gasket and mad oil leak, with a buttload of bugs covering my car because I was driving before sunrise, and embarrassed to open the hood from the newly discovered pitched gasket causing the oil leak, the miata looked like crap that day, i was super stressed out, getting pulled from every direction, and cell phone was blowing up with calls. Did I mention the police chewing me out because we had a solid 2 or 3 miles of bumper to bumper miatas blocking a major roadway from the stadium to the highway? hahahah, So yes the drama and stress from big events is for real and quite a few on here can relate.

So those Bigger brakes fit with your wheels okay? you are on 15" now correct?
    I can only imagine organizing something of that magnitude. I can barely get it together enough to attend

245/40/15 tires on all my wheels. The Meisters with R disc still need 15mm spacers. The Mk3 need another 7mm. Not ideal but it still works.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to druz For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (09-30-2018),Phatmiata (09-28-2018)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    Miata Classic Red 1997 w/Tan interior
    Thanks Given
    Reply to Phat's comment running about events. My wife doesn't want me to even joining any Miata clubs!!! I was the President. Treasurer and News Letter Editor for our local AMC car club. We held a National Event in 1994 that involved 4 National Clubs it was an OUTSTANDING EVENT, but the planning started 4 years prior and I can't begin to tell you of all the hardship. I'm going to be an Indian and NOT a Chief. Far to many arrows flying at the Chief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CLZinn2 For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (09-28-2018)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    Miata Classic Red 1997 w/Tan interior
    Thanks Given
    A TON OF WORK!!! NEAT Car!!! I'd so would LOVE to drive that track. It Must be Amazing!!! Thank You So Very Much for all your work with this thread!!!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CLZinn2 For This Useful Post:

druz (09-27-2018),oldgrayleather (09-28-2018)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift oldgrayleather's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 Mariner, '92 SB, '91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 946 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by druz View Post
    It seems like I only update 2 or 3 times a year now.
    When your updates share these great stories with all of MR.net in such detail you can absolutely be excused! So glad you made it despite all the hurdles you had to get through. Love re-hearing these stories through the post. Don't know why I didn't clamor for it but next year would love a ride-a-long!

I’m fearing the worst, but my wife (and fantastic pit crew) asks if I have any gas. Of course my wife is right and all is well again.
    So great that V is part of this pilgrimage and that you're a wise enough to man-up and acknowledge when your better half might be right! Hopefully she doesn't read the forums and let this go to her head ;)

I sent the Star Sharks off to a new, loving home, as hard as the decision was. When I found them they were the first set mainland (in the US aside from Rod's in HI), but the 14s don't work with the V8 and I'm never going to get around to another build, so I might as well progress and let someone else enjoy them.
    Now about those wheel and their loving home?!?!

Again Drew, never enough time to connect but so great to see you at Laguna Seca. Glad you're already preparing for a big 30th!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

druz (09-29-2018)

Drives
    Signal Orange '89 V8
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgrayleather View Post
    Don't know why I didn't clamor for it but next year would love a ride-a-long!
    I'll reserve a session for you next year. As part of your planning if you and the crew need anything, I'll be glad to help out as your Norcal host.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to druz For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (09-29-2018)

Drives
    Signal Orange '89 V8
    Thanks Given
    I believe this is a new record with almost 10 months between updates. The sad fact is there really hasn't been much to update. Usually I'll try to find winter project or 2 but my motivation was extremely low. I was going through a little state of burnout. I put so much into the car but really wasn't getting much joy from it any more, so why put more work in? It felt like it was too much to drive on the street and worrying about something happening or all the attention it draws. Getting out to the track is a bit of an ordeal. I couldn't even get up for a nice cruise through the hills for it's 30th birthday. But just like experiencing burnout with anything, I needed to reevaluate what was going on and get my head straight.

One thing that I enjoy is making something or learning something new. So I finally convinced myself to get in the garage and work on a wheel rack that I've been wanting to build for a couple years to clean up my storage area. I taught myself to weld a while ago and messed around with aluminum a little, but not much as it's not as forgiving as steel to a beginner. I had a bunch of aluminum square tubing left over from a different project that never got off the ground, so I spent a few hours practicing and then went at it. Fortunately, it wasn't a miserable failure! I've got a long way to go with the welds, but it's progress. 2 birds, 1 stone - learned and created.

Now, let's get back to the car. Near the top of my to do list was replacing the LS2 rocker arm trunnions. The stock ones aren't up to track abuse and could result in the engine swallowing a bunch of needle bearings since the factory ones are not caged. I decided to go with the Smith Bros bronze bushing kit. Fairly easy job with a press. You can see some of the old needle bearings that simply fell out while removing the old trunnions.

While I had the fuel rail covers off, I thought I could quickly install the catch can I had, just to cross it off the list. I bought a Moroso kit, but of course almost nothing from a kit is going to work. The mount was no where near what it looked like in the pictures.

The engine barely clears the hood, this was not even close to fitting. Luckily after a bend, a couple cuts and 2 new holes, it looked like it was designed to go there.

I'm starting to get a little momentum now, but still haven't gone for a drive. I just need to get out there and have some fun.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to druz For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (07-13-2019),HarryB (07-12-2019),MiataQuest (07-12-2019),oldgrayleather (07-12-2019),tsingson (07-12-2019)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Just drive it man. Norcal has some really nice roads out there. Get lost. One road I loved driving when I lived there was out near Napa/Lake Berryesa. Pretty windy and scenery is gorgeous. When I worked in Napa, I would just take that road home to avoid the Friday nightmare traffic on 80. I bet once you start driving and just wandering anywhere, the motivation will come back.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

druz (07-23-2019)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift oldgrayleather's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 Mariner, '92 SB, '91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 946 Posts
    Nice update and love the rack!! Besides being an impressive DIY project it gave me something to show Mrs. R that I hoped would make her appreciate the fact I don’t really have too many extra sets of wheels or tires sitting around. I mean, it might be smart for Benny to have a spare set, right? For some reason pointing out the number of shoes in her closet vs the two feet she has as of yet has not been effective.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

druz (07-23-2019)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power bogaut's Avatar
    Drives
    Mazda Familia
    Thanks Given
    you have some nice spare wheels!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to bogaut For This Useful Post:

druz (07-23-2019)

Drives
    Signal Orange '89 V8
    Thanks Given
    We do have really nice roads around here, and some very close to me. Unfortunately lots of them have to been taken over by bicycles. I figured a 95F afternoon would be a good time to avoid them and got in a spirit refreshing drive. Besides the fact that I don't have AC or any carpet / heat shielding in the cabin. Big V8 makes lots of heat.

When I decided to go with the LS, the vision was to build a raw and visceral monster, not hard to do with 400 torques and 2200ish lbs, no carpet, AC, PS, ABS, or TC. With that goal achieved, I've moved on to refinement. I think it's mostly that I'm getting old(er). Or maybe I'm just looking for a change. I've finished the interior a bit with the M2 console, RS AC panel and knobs, Zoom Monaco mirror, etc.

That brings me to the next project. Driving on the street without power steering is a hassle. Even getting out of my steeper than average driveway at the end of a cul de sac requires going lock to lock a couple times So ... much ... work ... so lazy. Fortunately now I can theoretically have the best of both worlds, power assist when I want and raw road feel and feedback when I don't.

It all works around more GM parts, an electric power steering rack from a 02-06 Saturn Vue or 05-06 Chevy Equinox, and a controller/knob that can vary the amount of assist on the fly from 0-100%. There is a company selling bolt in units, but it doesn't appear that difficult to fabricate, for about 25% of the price.
    Last edited by druz; 09-01-2019 at 05:36 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to druz For This Useful Post:

HarryB (08-31-2019)

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    You had me at raw and visceral monster.

No todo que es oro brilla.

Drives
    Signal Orange '89 V8
    Thanks Given
    This post will be a little more detailed than usual since I haven't really seen very many going over this electric power steering set up. I saw it for the first time earlier this year for sale as a plug and play unit. Since I was already thinking about adding PS to my LS2, I figured this might be an easier way, instead of having to add the pump, reservoir, associated lines and adapters, and new belt. I found this one post here that described most of the procedure. So I ordered a few parts and got to cutting.

These GM EPAS columns are apparently popular with side by sides like RZRs and also with sand rails. They are able to be controlled outside of the ECU by a little adapter available from epowersteering.com. What makes it also easy to adapt to the Miata is they use the same 3/4" shaft and are roughly close to the same length.

My measuring set up showed that the GM unit is almost 3" shorter. Since the output splines are also different, we can make up that 3" with an adapter to the Miata spline. To do so I used this coupler 16.5mm-34 (GM spline) to 3/4" (Miata shaft size) and cut off the end of a Miata output shaft.

The coupler is 1" deep and minus it's length, I figured I needed 2.75" of the Miata shaft. Then I TIG welded them together.

That takes care of the length and spline issues, now to get it mounted.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to druz For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (09-21-2019),HarryB (09-20-2019),Phatmiata (09-20-2019),Roadster7 (09-20-2019),tsingson (09-25-2019)

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 367891011121314151617 LastLast