Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 47891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Road Star

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    I would also get a pin/bolt through both pieces, just for peace of mind if the weld cracks at any point (although it looks really proper)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power druz's Avatar
    Drives
    Signal Orange '89 V8
    Thanks Given
    The upper mount for the GM unit is pretty similar to the Miata as well. The holes are about 1" wider and 0.5" closer to the steering wheel. I could fab an adapter of sorts like the build I was referencing, but it also seemed like I could swap over the Miata parts since the tubing was about the same size as well. I didn't need or want all the tilt hardware on the GM part either.

The GM input tube unbolts from the motor unit exposing a 2 piece input shaft. The Miata column is sleeved so I had to cut it just above the part smaller tube ends.

The GM upper shaft almost fit in the Miata tube. A little persuasion with a vice turned the oval back into a circle and the shaft was able to slip in

After a couple of measurements I determined how much of the GM tube I needed to add. Sorry, I forgot to note it down.

Then I welded the 2 pieces together. After checking the fit I realized I had a problem. My original plan was to use the GM upper and the measurements were based on that. However I ended up using the Miata upper and there was a 0.5" difference between them. My adapter was now 0.5" too short. So I cut out the weld and made the adjustment. Thankfully I used the full 1" available in the coupler so I had an extra 0.5" available.

Ready for reassembly.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to druz For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (10-21-2019),Greasemonkey2000 (09-26-2019),HarryB (09-20-2019),kung fu jesus (09-20-2019),MiataQuest (09-29-2019),Phatmiata (09-20-2019),Roadster7 (09-20-2019),tsingson (09-25-2019)

Drives
    Signal Orange '89 V8
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    I would also get a pin/bolt through both pieces, just for peace of mind if the weld cracks at any point (although it looks really proper)
    Definitely. After the final mock up to make sure the new adapter length was correct, I drilled and tapped it since I don't have any press fit pins.

A couple of things I forgot to mention about using the Miata upper tube. That also allowed me to clock the motor to anywhere I wanted it. Using the GM tube I would have only 3 positions to choose from. I ended up putting it in about the 4 o'clock positon. It still slightly rubs against the HVAC housing box and peaks out from under the dash a tiny bit, but I thought fit the best. Also, the GM tube is slightly larger, maybe 1mm, but the bracket for the ignition cylinder and clock spring would have required some work to make it fit nicely with the larger tube. Now it bolts up like factory.

The last pic above also shows the firewall mount cut down where it could fit nicely over the end of the shaft. Then I hit them with some satin black paint and reassembled it. Last thing was to swap over the ignition, stalks and clock spring.

The bracket is held on by some tamper resistant screws that look kind of like rivets. They're screws though, so just cut a slot into them and drive them out. Transfer everything over to the proper place and voila, a hybrid Miata EPAS column.

Installing it will probably be more work than building it It's pretty heavy with the motor and squirming around under the dash with the pedals in the way isn't going to be fun. Wiring is very simple though, so I'm almost ready to test it out.
    Last edited by druz; 09-21-2019 at 06:14 AM.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to druz For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (10-21-2019),Greasemonkey2000 (10-24-2019),HarryB (09-21-2019),MiataQuest (09-21-2019),tsingson (09-25-2019)

Drives
    Signal Orange '89 V8
    Thanks Given
    An unexpected bonus, the GM steering input shaft is the same size and spline as the Miata as well so I can keep my Momo hub.

Wiring is simple, just power and ground, and the controller plugs into the EPAS "ECU." The motor power is high current. The instructions recommend a 50 or 60A fuse. Mine came with the factory wiring which already had an 80A fuse inline. As such it needs direct power. Since I previously relocated my fuse box to the glovebox area, I connected it to the incoming +12v. The controller needs switched +12v so I used the unused radio wiring for that. Then I installed the adjuster knob in my switch plate. Looks just it did before with the stock steering.

I haven't done a road test (more on that coming), but in the garage it works. The only unexpected thing is that it takes about 5 seconds for it to switch off after turning the knob down. Not a problem for me, but thought it would react a little quicker.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to druz For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (10-21-2019),Greasemonkey2000 (09-26-2019),HarryB (09-26-2019),MiataQuest (09-29-2019),tsingson (09-25-2019)

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Nice and tidy!

Drives
    Signal Orange '89 V8
    Thanks Given
    While waiting for some of the EPAS parts to arrive I started going over the car for tech inspection for the upcoming Miata Reunion at Laguna Seca. I noticed a large amount of grease coming from the inner CVs.

This is not the first time I've noticed it. It can't find any damage to the boots but since it seems to be persisting, I'm going to assume that it's leaking out as it liquifies due to it's proximity to the exhaust. They've lost a good amount grease so I'm going to need to replace it. If my theory is correct, hopefully using a higher temp grease will help the issue.

After removing the axles, the first step is cleaning out all the old grease. Here's the inside of a CV if you've never seen one.

I had some Amsoil grease leftover from repacking my front wheel bearings, so might as well use that. If this stuff breaks down, them I'll have to look into making some kind of heatshields.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to druz For This Useful Post:

MiataQuest (09-29-2019),tsingson (09-29-2019)

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    I HATE that job. Old grease smells nasty.

Drives
    Signal Orange '89 V8
    Thanks Given
    After repacking the CVs, I was able to finish the steering project. Then I went back to reinstall the axles. Apparently sometime in between I pressed the brakes a few times, probably while trying to get the steering column in, and that resulted in the brake calipers not wanting to fit over the rotors without retracting the piston a bit. Unfortunately the right side wasn't cooperating.

That would explain it. This little guy is the "hex screw" that many call it, which is turned to move the rear piston. The seals were looking about ready for a rebuild anyway, but I didn't really have time so I just ordered a refurbed one. That's why I couldn't get out to test the new steering on the road. Once the new caliper was in and bled, it was time for a test.

Even at the lowest setting, it feels a bit over boosted, but maybe I'm too used to the manual feel by now. However I really only want to use it while parking or other similar low speed maneuvers and then switch it completely off. It does exactly what I want it too

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to druz For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (10-21-2019),Greasemonkey2000 (10-06-2019),HarryB (10-06-2019),Roadster7 (10-06-2019),speedypenguin (10-09-2019),tsingson (10-07-2019)

Drives
    Signal Orange '89 V8
    Thanks Given
    While I had the car up doing the inspection, I took a couple of minutes to install the GV lip brake duct adapters I picked up earlier this year. I installed the Singular 2.5" ducts last year and was waiting for some proposed GV lip adapters to get produced.

Then I came across these adapters since the others seemed to be on terminal hold. I gave them a shot and while not perfect, they look like they'll do the job of helping cool the big 11.75" Stoptechs.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to druz For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (10-21-2019),Greasemonkey2000 (10-08-2019),MiataQuest (10-08-2019),speedypenguin (10-09-2019)

Drives
    Signal Orange '89 V8
    Thanks Given

This was the only picture I took the entire weekend at Miata Reunion. There's so much to see and take in, but it seems the weekend is more about the people than the cars. And that's kind of strange for a kinda anti-social type like myself. Yeah we all love our cars, and driving, but there's lots of places you can get that. A group of people like this is much harder to find, and that's what makes the Reunion special.

After checking in at the track on Friday and snapping that pic, we were off to the hotel to catch up everyone. Even though there weren't any official events at the hotel this year, as long as there's a happy hour there, it's going to be the gathering place. After a few drinks and dinner, it was time to get tested up for the early start in the morning.

Fortunately, there's a few other ways to get pictures while on the track. Things went pretty smoothly, although I wasn't pushing very hard. Not sure why. We did lose 1 of our 5 sessions due to a medical issue in the paddock taking the ambulance away from the track, which was disappointing. I got through traffic pretty well and was able to get some clear track each session. This lap was from the first session, lap 3 or 4 after I got through traffic. Tires and brakes were warmed up but the track was still a bit cold. (Unfortunately I lost my obd data stream to the video, still had gps for speed.)

We made the fortuitous decision of skipping the parade lap, which took almost 2 hours it seemed. That caused more sessions to be missed. Luckily it was the A and B groups this time, so all groups had equal amount of track time again. There was a bit of chaos in the paddock after as people were looking for any open space to park.
    I had to shoo off a few trying to park right in front my car, and some others tried to park right behind. I saw others go right into spots that had tools and stuff right next to them, unbelievable.

The crowd appeared to subside after a short while. It didn't seem like the 1200+ cars that were said to have registered. After the track time had wrapped up, it was time to head over to the BBQ and car show. That's where everyone must have been the whole time. The line for the BBQ was hundreds and hundreds of people, quite incredible, and ridiculous. We took a quick look around the car show and didn't see much, so we made the decision to head back to the hotel to catch the end of happy hour.

60 drinks in 45 mins by the small group of us that skipped out of the BBQ. Good times. Grabbed some In N Out, went back for a few more drinks with more folks now that the BBQ was over, even better times. Then we finally got shut down.

Sunday was spent relaxing and seeing all the things we missed on Saturday. Then it was time to pack up and say until next time. I consider myself very fortunate for every year I've gotten to experience this. Thanks to everyone that plays a part in these amazing times.

17. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to druz For This Useful Post:

Cermivelli (10-26-2019),fwdtamiya (10-21-2019),Greasemonkey2000 (10-24-2019),HarryB (10-17-2019),MiataQuest (10-17-2019),oldgrayleather (10-18-2019),Roadster7 (10-17-2019),speedypenguin (10-17-2019)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone speedypenguin's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Black
    Thanks Given
    Hey look, that's me in the last pic! (Had zero chance to catch you on straights, grr...)

Great seeing you this past weekend. 1000% agree with you, the Reunion is about the people who make our community special. Time to start planning another Reunion for the West Coast...
    My Eunos Roadster, Jazz

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! marlonthegreat's Avatar
    Drives
    a Black Widebody Miata
    Thanks Given
    great video, was that run under 2 mins.?
    MIATA...incredibly fun to drive - as that is its only purpose for being.

Drives
    Signal Orange '89 V8
    Thanks Given
    That lap was 1:51ish, which isn't saying much. The car should be capable of 1:40 at least and maybe 1:45 with me.

Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,435 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by druz View Post
    That lap was 1:51ish, which isn't saying much. The car should be capable of 1:40 at least and maybe 1:45 with me.
    In the last session, when I got my lap timer working, I got just one lap under 2 minutes (1:56) due to traffic. Where did you find all that space? I don't think I've ever bumped into you on the actual track this year or prior years, maybe if we get something set up to replace our local annual event I'll get to. It was great seeing you as always Andrew, thanks for hanging out with us

22. The Following User Says Thank You to fwdtamiya For This Useful Post:

MaRcOp01o (10-21-2019)

Drives
    Signal Orange '89 V8
    Thanks Given
    I think that was the only full clear lap I had, unfortunately it was so early.

That's a bit more typical. And it turns into something like this.

And then get stuck for half a lap, which builds up space in front. Then when I finally get by I have like half a lap of room. Then catch back up and repeat. Right after the end of that clip is when the above corkscrew pic was taken. I wasn't causing that line, honest!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to druz For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (10-24-2019)

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 47891011121314151617 LastLast