Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Meet Mica

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone etikoner's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    Oh, and another thing I bought from Mild7 was a PNP Splash steering wheel hub so that my horn would work.It's basically the same thing as a Daikei model but I got it for a whole lot cheaper .
    It looks like this when it's taken apart. (So you SRS guys could know what kind of hub would work without major modification)

I took it down to some local dudes that run a shop called Motion Motorsports so he could re-wire my Clock spring back in and to fix the hack job some other dude did in my car. Having a horn made me super happy

Fast forward a few days and this happened:

Installed the ISC racing top hats on the rear shocks. I threaded the coils higher to compensate, and that raised my rear ride height to about 13" hub to fender (No pics lol)

We also steam cleaned my engine bay, so glad we did this, looks much better than before.

We (Mostly my friend Carlos) also threw on my new Exhaust :

You can see how much we raised the rear ride height as well. (It was a little to high for my liking so I ended up lowering it a bit more)
    Last edited by etikoner; 01-13-2012 at 04:51 PM.

Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    I've been largely neglecting my CAS O-ring oil leak for a while and it came to bite me in the ass.

It turns out that when the heater hose gets enough of that hot oil it'll burst and leak everywhere...

I'm sure my engine is leaking a lot more places too, so I plan on getting her refreshed. I dropped the car off at a shop for them to replace the hose with a new one.

It still smelled bad when driven hard. So I said fuck it and bought a new Valve Cover gasket kit.
    Asking over the counter for the CAS O-ring did nothing for me. Discount Auto parts, Napa and Autozone didn't even list it in their electronic catalog. That really put a hamper on my day cause I specifically took they day off to get it changed at my buddy Carlos's work space. A quick search online for the O-ring dimensions and he was able to find the same exact O-ring for me to use!

We drew a red line with a sharpie to mark the CAS positioning.

Looks okay in there.

We also took the time to de-grease my valve cover from the inside. It was full of sludge.

And Carlos went ahead and took off the evaporator canister off and plugged the lines right up.

My engine bay still needs lots of TLC.

I also went ahead and ordered the T3 SS shiftknob from Kenjo
    It arrived super fast and I got it on the same day. I fucking love it. Feels nicely weighted and just fits me perfectly.

I asked him to send me a shifter extender as well, but now I have no need for it, so if anyone wants to buy one for cheap let me know

Oh, and I also bought a set of light weight Lug nuts off of someone from CR. But I forgot his username atm.

Last edited by etikoner; 01-29-2012 at 02:52 AM.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch Kolbotn's Avatar
    Drives
    1992 Silverstone
    Thanks Given
    Nice progress Erick, im really glad you re-painted it Merlot! One of my favorite OEM colors! Kinda jealous of The 3 window top!

Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    Saving up some money to get the ball rolling engine wise.
    Two things I have bought recently consist of a Mazdaspeed rollbar and a set of Rock Auto Pistons.
    The pistons I plan on selling. I'll see when I install the roll bar, cause I barely have time off work and school.

I was planning on staying N/A, but I've driven, and ridden in my friends Mini Cooper S turbo enough times to say I want a turbo in my Miata.
    Seeing how my engine still leaks oil and I see little clouds of smoke pouring from under the hood at times I'm gonna just have my engine go through a minor rebuild.
    The plans consist of a complete Re-seal. I'm gonna have the head ported a bit to free up some flow. My rods are going to be shot-peened for extra strength my pistons are going to get new rings and the crank will be getting new bearings.
    I'd also like to go ahead and purchase a new clutch and fly wheel to swap in for the one I have. I have no idea how much mileage my clutch has at all, and I'd like a stiffer one that grabs better. I'll also go ahead and throw in my SS Clutch line as well.

Once that happens I'll break the engine in and save up some more to do a budget turbo build with some choice pieces that'll allow me to upgrade when the time comes.

Wish me luck ;)

Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    Not a lot has changed. A friend and I changed out the CAS O-ring seal. Looked frantically for it. Drove some 15 miles to a Mazda Dealer, they had to order it. Then I called auto zone, and they didn't have it. Then I called Napa; nothing either... I was pretty bummed out. My friend saved the day by finding me an O-ring in his shop with the same dimensions as stock. Cleaned the hell out of my valve cover and replaced the valve cover gasket, too. I also took it apart and found half of the old PVC valve stuck in one of the baffles. lol

I have pictures somewhere in my phone, but they're boring and don't really have a point.

I wanna buy tons of shit for my car. But I've had so many expenses lately they I don't really get to splurge as much as I'd like.

Ever since I drove to the last Miata meet we had here in South Florida, I noticed my clutch pedal losing pressure. I topped off the reservoir and forgot about it. Two weeks later it was empty and I lost my clutch pedal. Two days later it was empty again.

I bought a local Clutch slave cylinder and dropped it off at the shop to get installed with my Technafit SS clutch line. My car felt like a new Miata again. I was so used to having the engagement point so close to the floor that it caught me off guard.

Anywho, Bill from Miataroadster.com had sold me on a Cool goodridge line that he sells. It's called the straight shot line. Goes all the way from the Clutch Master, to the slave cylinder. So I got it thrown in and took off the SS line( You can have it for 20 bucks ;) )

I also found someone on MT.net selling some New Arp head studs for cheap, so I picked bought em' from him for my future engine rebuild.

The reason Bill sold me on the clutch line, was that I bought a Miataroadster short shifter from him. It was so convenient to just buy everything I needed for the job from him. I threw it on tonight with my Brother in law. I also ordered a shiftboot from redlinegoods. I loved the look of the tan shift-boot with the Nakamae console. Too bad I don't have a spare $500 bucks to buy one. The shift boot is very nice, and way better to look at then my 16 year old ripped ugly stock boot. I'm just sad that they didn't include a ring for the boot to sit on the shifter properly. I'lld figure something out....

So next on my shopping list is a clutch and lightweight flywheel.

Deciding if I should bite the bullet and by an F1 racing, Exedy, ACT, or Compclutch kit.

Gah...

Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    http://www.roadsterlife.net/post/209...roof-of-his-na

Cool, I'm famous.

Lol other then that, I removed my Mud flaps, Hit a dumpster cracking my rear bumper paint, and my friend Painted my m2-2001 vitaloni mirrors. Still need to do a clear coat on them and then I'll get em mounted with my good buddy.

I wanna install my MS sometime soon. I have so much shit to do, lol.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Andy's Avatar
    Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given
    Any updates?

Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    Been doing some shopping.
    Bought a sweet Mazda Strut tower bar from Deliverance

Bought Gio's long block from his 94 for a rebuild

It's gonna consist of;

• 99 Head
    • Arp Head Studs
    • 2001 10:1 Cast Pistons
    • 99 Ex- Intake cam swap
    • 94 Block
    • Getting all new seals and ACL Bearings with new Piston rings.
    • F1 Racing 1.6 Chromoly Flywheel 11lbs
    • Exedy 1.6 Stage one Clutch

The Crankshaft had some scoring, so it's gonna be machined down, this engine burned some oil, but it should be all good

Mod wise, I'm planning on open up the breathing with ITB's and Headers.

• Megasquirt built by Brain
    • Block castings are gonna be cleaned up
    • Head will be ported by Curtis at Motion Motorsports
    • Suzuki GSXR600 Throttle bodies with a custom Manifold flange adapter and Long 77mm stacks
    • Fujitsubo Header
    • Some sort of wideband

My good buddy Curtis, who'm I met from having him install my soft top will be taking care of my engine build, and hopes to have it built with a budget I could meet. He's top notch and always makes sure to let me know of any progress step-by-step..

I'm just shooting for maybe 150 WHP. Aiming to retain the mid range torque that the 1.8's have so DD'ng won't be a huge pain in the ass. Coldest it gets down here in 30's for about five days in the year, and I live on the beach where there's lots of dense air so I should be ok.

Also, my friend and I installed a set of H4's with some HID's. They're so much better then the sealed Beam, haha.

My car got flooded a good while back.. My ecu got wet but I spent the hole week drying the interior out, vacuumed and basically just got really pissed of... My car started driving like shit and I was so close to throwing the towel and selling it. All this combined with my wiring constantly frying my relays has me wanting to sell it, but My friend Curtis got my car running nicely again and got my idle back to normal.. Turned out my plugs were bathed in oil, and that my AFM was super dirty :/ lol.

Anyways, I'm gonna hopefully solve the wiring problem soon My engine is all apart and ready for machining Also Installed a set of Vitaloni Sebring type mirrors with the wide blue lense. I really love them!

One more thing I wanna tackle is my handling, or lack thereof. I've been on tokico HP's for a while, and while they're comfy on smooth roads, they really suck on rough roads at my ride height and spring rates. I also didn't throw bump stops on that set- up as well.

I really wanna spring for the FCM Elite revalve, or I'd also like Fortune Auto coilovers but that's out of my price range for now.. I did the next smartest thing, Found a set of 10AE Bilsteins for sale and ordered some FCM 36/46 bump stops.
    I plan on running the shocks with the FCM bumpstops together with the EBay Coils and NB front top hats with the ISC 1.5" rear top hats. Hopefully my car's handling should improve with this set up. I could drift comfortably from 0- 25 mph but after that it just feels uncontrollable and very bouncy.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! afc2112's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 1991
    Thanks Given
    This going to be nice once you get the new shiny bits installed...

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Loving the Darth Vader pic...

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift I<3flippyheadlights's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Spirited Green Miata!
    Thanks Given
    One hell of an update man. That engine is gonna be awesome when its finished. I think with the 99 head, header, IRTB's and a good tune you can easily hit 150.
    1990 Miata, she was red but now she is Spirit Green!

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....d-a-love-story <--- build thread!

Also check out the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/IHeartFlippyHeadlights !!! Its a facebook page dedicated to the awesomeness which is flippyheadlights! Not me, but the actual headlights! High time someone noticed how awesome these things are; check it out!

Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    Thanks for your comments.

I think I'd be happy with the power. I love the way the car drives but the lack of power really has me annoyed, lol.
    It's most likely lost some power as well just from me re-filling the engine with oil cause of the leak. It smokes so bad when I press the throttle more then half way through.

The new engine combined with higher compression and the higher flowing head should make me fall in love again, It's just a lot of work for not that much of a gain... I even keep on second guessing myself if I should bother throwing the ITB's on. But only time will tell.

The tech I left my car with said that the relays were being over worked. The amperage they're rated for is 10 Amps and he said that my lights would go up to 30 amps the longer they were running. I'm gonna try and install another relay for my new HID's and maybe that'll solve that problem. lol

I also can't wait to throw on the Bilstein Shocks I have, should be a lot better with FCM bump stops and I also purchased some helper springs for the front to not have the springs unseat when the wheels droop down.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! afc2112's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 1991
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by etikoner View Post
    It's just a lot of work for not that much of a gain... I even keep on second guessing myself if I should bother throwing the ITB's on. But only time will tell.
    If you already own the ITBs, why the hell not?

Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    You're right. I just need to be more patient haha.

Finally through on the Bilsteins. Miles apart from the Tokico's... Way better handling, actually absorbs bumps now! Pretty good budget set-up, imo.. It raised my ride height, but I'm gonna fix that soon i hope.

I think the the Helper springs caused the front to be like .75" - 1.00" Higher, combined with the static position of the oem spring perch has me riding higher than i want ... Oh well
    My tires were super worn on the inside so I flipped them...
    I also went ahead and ordered ES bushings and supermiata end-links.
    Can't wait to get my car lower again with all the new stuff, I'm gonna get rebuilt wheel bearings, and ordering two new tires for the front. Debating Between Azenis, or Federal 595s in 195-60/14

Once I get those, I'll be getting my car corner weighed and Aligned

I'll post pics once I get said Items
    Last edited by etikoner; 08-27-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Looks good man, and I have refinished two of your old BBS wheels.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast