Thread: BP-Z3 VVT Question

Idling - Listen to it purr... f8al's Avatar
    Drives
    Midnight Blue Mica 01 nb2 LS w/ hardtop
    Thanks Given

BP-Z3 VVT Question

Hi,

I have a 2001 LS NB2 w/ Sport package.

Recently I changed the timing belt, waterpump, radiator, hoses, plugs, cam seals, VCG, idlers, and belts.

When I was removing the cover from the front of the intake cam (I'm assuming its the vvt cylinder?) 2 of the t22 torx screws came out without issue, the third stripped, so I had to drill the head out to remove the cover. upon reassembly its now leaking oil from the front cover.

This leads me to have to take 1 of 2 scenarios:

1. Use an extractor / left handed drill bit to remove the screw base and replace the screw.
    (this is my favored option, but we all know how "wonderfully" extractors "work")

2. Replace the cylinder.

My issue is as follows:

I cant seem to find a replacement one of these parts, partly because I don't know exactly what it is called, partly because apparently all the miatas being parted out with the 1.8 appear to not have vvt.

So I ask, Has anyone else had this issue, if so how did you overcome it? Does anyone have any tips for getting an extractor to work in this situation? What exactly is this part called, and does anyone know where I can source one?

pic for reference:

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! MX5RACER's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 w/'01+VVT swap
    Thanks Given
    Once you get the cap off, you should be able to get a set of vice grips on the remaining portion of the bolt and remove it. The tension is gone now, so as long as it is not cross-threaded, it should come right out. You should be able to get a new bolt directly from Mazda. The parts guys at Gunther are really good. You can also take one of the good bolts and try and match it up at McDonald's Hardware on SR 84, across from Lester's diner out East by Port Everglades.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MX5RACER For This Useful Post:

f8al (02-17-2014),Phatmiata (02-17-2014)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Hyper's Avatar
    Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    I played with these engines a lot. The solution is in my hands, replace those stupid mickey mouse torx bolts with hardened allen bolts. They are available locally here in Miami from a place called All American Fasteners. If I find them in a box, I will send you some

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hyper For This Useful Post:

f8al (02-17-2014),Phatmiata (02-17-2014),WASABI (02-17-2014)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by MX5RACER View Post
    Once you get the cap off, you should be able to get a set of vice grips on the remaining portion of the bolt and remove it. The tension is gone now, so as long as it is not cross-threaded, it should come right out. You should be able to get a new bolt directly from Mazda. The parts guys at Gunther are really good. You can also take one of the good bolts and try and match it up at McDonald's Hardware on SR 84, across from Lester's diner out East by Port Everglades.
    I'll be sure to give this a try first. Treasure coast Miata quoted me $550 for the vvta so I'm really hoping it works. I'll swing by Gunther on my way home from work tomorrow morning. Glad to know their parts department is good, royal Palm Mazda leaves a bit to be desired.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
    I played with these engines a lot. The solution is in my hands, replace those stupid mickey mouse torx bolts with hardened allen bolts. They are available locally here in Miami from a place called All American Fasteners. If I find them in a box, I will send you some
    I'll have to look aaf up once the car is back down here. Thanks for the tip.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Thanks guys the vice grips trick worked.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    Nice job! God, I hate torx bolts (as a Jeep Wrangler owner), nothing strips faster.