Thread: Mobius Action Camera

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Pyr0monk3y's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given

Mobius Action Camera

I picked up a Mobius last week and have been having a blast playing around with it. These go for $80-$100 + mounting hardware and etc. It has way more flexibility than a gopro owner could ever dream of. With a weight of only 38 grams, you can strap it to your helmet without even noticing.

For $150 I scored the camera, a 32GB micro sd, several different length charging cables, and hardware for 6 different mounting strategies.

In terms of setup, there are too many settings to name. I have mine configured to automatically turn on and start recording when it is connected to external power. It records in 1080p 30fps at maximum bit rate until 10 seconds after it is disconnected from external power. I have the camera wired to my cigarette lighter so that when the ignition is on, the camera records. It records in 5 minute clips with a 1 second overlap. When the memory is full, it deletes the oldest clip. To enable write protection on a clip so it will not be deleted, all I have to do is hit the mode button on the camera while it is recording.

Color and white balance are adjustable and there are 3 profiles for lighting environments: Standard, wide dynamic range, and low light.

More info on this site: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1904559

I had fun checking out my footwork today.

The lighting was uncontrollable but the camera adjusted pretty quickly thanks to the "wide dynamic range"

These pictures aren't apples to apples but here they are anyway:

Gopro in rain:

Mobius in rain:

Last edited by Pyr0monk3y; 04-27-2014 at 07:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    What the hell are you thinking Andy?
    1991 Track Rat
    Build Thread:
    Function>Everything

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pyr0monk3y For This Useful Post:

tsingson (04-27-2014),ueru (04-27-2014),WASABI (04-27-2014)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Funny that you posted this, Andy. I just purchased a Vivitar and have been testing it the past couple of days now. It was about $50 and came with a ton of mounts. I'll bring it to the next meet.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

WASABI (04-27-2014)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,162 Posts
    If anything, I have learned we use different heel/toe techniques. I use the side of my foot as the boots I wear won't allow for the more on the nose heel action that you do.

Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    I do both depending on the shoes I'm wearing. I use this technique in these shoes because they are narrow. In my dress shoes that I wear to work I do the side step thing you're talking about.

In an e30 the gas pedal is hinged on the floor so you have to side step it.

People talk about how the miata has perfect pedal placement. I'm sure that's true for people with size 10's but for me I could use a bit more space between pedals. Last season I had to ditch the Volleys I used to wear to the track because they made left foot braking impossible. My left shoe would get snagged on the right.
    1991 Track Rat
    Build Thread:
    Function>Everything

Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Another angle for foot work. You can't see the pedals, but it makes it easier to understand how you have to bend your legs.

1991 Track Rat
    Build Thread:
    Function>Everything