Thread: Protecting yourself with high engine temps

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone mini_fd's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Black Miata
    Thanks Given

Protecting yourself with high engine temps

I'm looking into an alternative to wrap my oem rubber radiator hose coming from the rear block to the firewall and back from the fire wall into the lower block.

the red hose which has a direct fire durability but a constant temp of 450 degrees protects the rear radiator hose from my turbo exhaust. It's literally mm apart. Right now I have a heat wrap on it which I want to replace.

I don't want a red hose but would their black silicone hose do the same trick? The only thing is that the black silicone hose is 5/8 of an inch and the oem radiator hose is safely to say from outside wall to outside wall 1". So it wouldn't necessarily fit.

On the red hose did you get the 1" inch sleeve?

Here are the links

AEROQUIP FIRE SLEEVES from Aircraft Spruce

BLACK SILICONE FIRE SLEEVE from Aircraft Spruce

I then checked out this sleeve which is the same price as 6' of the red sleeve hoses and thought this would be a cleaner tighter fit with velcro

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ssSleeves1.php

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone mini_fd's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Black Miata
    Thanks Given
    I was also thinking of getting this lava blanket. I already have a fiberglass blanket and I do not know who makes it nor how good it is since it came with a bundle package deal with my turbo kit that I bought off another member.

http://ptpturboblankets.com/product_...d=44&pro_id=42

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I sleeved mine in pyrotech(?) insulation tubes. Worked awesome. Basically similar to what turbo blankets are made from, but in a sewn tube form. Comes in different diameters and as a roll you cut to length. I also use it as extra protection on my e30's plug wires.