4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone MRnewsBot's Avatar
    Drives
    Mazda News
    Thanks Given

Post M2-1028 Roadster Development Concepts

The Development Concepts of M2-1028 Roadster

(In the words of Mazda's M2 Division)

BODY

In order to develop 1028, the part we put the most efforts in was the body. At this time, the base model was 40 kgs heavier than when 1001 was developed. In order to specialize in "fun to drive", we had to solve reciprocal issues, that were to increase body rigidity and to make the body lighter to reduce yawing and rolling inertia moment. First of all we implemented aluminum roll cage to bolt up at 10 mounting locations to increase body rigidity. Floor, Rear Strut, and part of belt anchor are the same method as the previous model. But, in order to improve on lack of tie between the front and the rear, that is the fate of open cars, we extended bars to the A-pillars which is at about the center of side-sills. The bars to the A-Pillars will spoil the comfort of open car a little, but we applied them to increase rigidity. In addition to this, we made the following major changes. We obtained more rigidity than closed by using a new strut tower bar which has perpendicular bars between two parallel bars. At the same time, we removed soft tops and implemented the light weight DHT (detachable hard top) as a standard feature, and installed an aluminum trunk lid which also serves as a spoiler. We also lightened or eliminated other small parts as much as possible by giving function the priority. And we are sure that we succeeded to make a light body with high rigidity.

Obtained body rigidity equivalent to closed roof cars with the body and the light weight aluminum roll cage which is installed on the car in 10 mounting locations.

Aluminum trunk lid is used which also serves as a spoiler, this adds lightness, and aerodynamics.

CHASSIS

We put the first priority on improving control-ability and maturing the popular 1001 tune. We realized flexible chassis which can control its tail from low G to high G freely by reducing the stabilizer radius to the same level as standard models and by using 60 series tire while keeping tightened mounting rubber the same. It is also realized equivalent high speed cornering performance as RX-7 by using specially designed tires though their size is 185/60. Because of these, driving on the rail or drift is at driver's will. We succeeded to create chassis that gives great freedom.

High rigidity tire, which was developed under cooperation with the Bridgestone and special for M2-1028, with light weight, high pressure casting aluminum wheel.

Full Bucket light weight racing seats are used, which hold the body even during high G cornering, made using light weight FRP process.

ENGINE

For 1028, the engine is used as the second steering while turning a corner with manual steering. When approaching a corner, if 1028 can obtain proper side G, then we can clear the corner with acceleration work. The mission of a engine for that is the wide range of torque which does not choose RPM range and gives a linear response to acceleration. While fully utilizing characteristics of the base engine which has a good torque even at low RPM, we adjusted to put the importance on medium speed by setting the valve timing leaning toward medium to high RPM and implementing 4-2-1 type header. We put emphasis on improving throttle responses such as creating a new lighter flywheel, implementing a more efficient air intake, tighter control of piston weight, and implementing an exhaust system with low back pressure. Because of these, we succeeded to build a higher hp engine which maintains high and flat torque from idling up to the rev-limit and response linear to accelerator from any RPM range.

Special air intake, 4-2-1 stainless steel header, and low back pressure exhaust used, which reduces resistance for air intake and exhaust, and make engine work at right pace. Strut bar is made from light weight, high rigidity aluminum which cross section is shaped like a "U" for more strength.

DESIGN

The design was hardly changed for 1028. However, in the process on improving weight reduction, aerodynamic balance, visibility and drive-ability, 1028 came to have interior and exterior designs that increased body strength while making the best use of the design from a base model Roadster. Though it has very little change on the surface, it presents significant enhancements underneath which makes us imagine its "running" performance.

Above is the development concepts of the hard work, and its aim is, as stated earlier, "a owner enjoys his/her life with a car" As a basic material for that aim, we believe 1028 is the best fit!

A simple cockpit design with emphasis on functions such as easy to read meters and special steering wheel made by MOMO.

source; publication MCA Magazine Vol.5, No.4, 1994
    I am your Mazda News Bot!

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MRnewsBot For This Useful Post:

atank (05-02-2014),etikoner (05-02-2014),fwdtamiya (05-02-2014),Hyper (05-02-2014),RotorNutFD3S (05-02-2014),theothersawyer (05-02-2014),ueru (05-02-2014),vote4pedro (05-02-2014),WASABI (05-02-2014)

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    I like this !!!!!!!!

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone etikoner's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    Awesome insights into the M2 cars! I'm loving this.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift theothersawyer's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 734 Posts
    I've learned so much Miata history from this forum!

Also, anyone have better pictures of the trunk. It doesn't look that different in these pictures.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theothersawyer View Post
    I've learned so much Miata history from this forum!

Also, anyone have better pictures of the trunk. It doesn't look that different in these pictures.
    I could show you if cardomain had not revamped their pages, I lost a ton of images on there, and its ridiculously hard to navigate the new pages.

Maybe if we ask nicely "vote4pedro" will post a recent photo of his 1028 trunk next to his stock trunk lid??

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

etikoner (05-02-2014),ueru (05-02-2014)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power ueru's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 NA8C, 1998 NB8C
    Thanks Given

Here's my favorite photo for showing the differences in the trunk lid. It's subtle, but it's there.

The 1028 is still my favorite model of Miata. Great inspiration.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ueru For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (05-02-2014),theothersawyer (05-02-2014),vote4pedro (05-02-2014),WASABI (05-02-2014)

Drives
    '99 Brilliant Black Turbo
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 698 Posts
    That was always my favorite trunk lid for the NA, aside from having an R-package spoiler. When I had my NA I never could find one to buy so I settled on an Axis Power duckbill lid.
    I've got a lot less horsepower - luckily they are Japanese horses - usually in better shape and more motivated.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift theothersawyer's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 734 Posts
    Looks nice! Very subtle!

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power freedomgli's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RotorNutFD3S View Post
    That was always my favorite trunk lid for the NA
    Ditto. Murakami is the closest I've seen to faithfully replicating it. But those are hard to get too (unless willing to spend $$$ and wait a long time). I wish I had picked up an autokonexion ver 1 trunk when they were still available. It's a bit less subtle than the M2-1028 but it was way more accessible for US enthusiasts.

Drives
    '99 Brilliant Black Turbo
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 698 Posts
    Autokonexion had not come out with theirs yet when I was searching. But I want to say that their ver 1 lid and the Axis lid I have are almost identical in design, although I've never been able to compare one side to side. I still own the Axis lid even though the NA is long gone. lol Could never let it go because it was a hard part to hunt down.
    I've got a lot less horsepower - luckily they are Japanese horses - usually in better shape and more motivated.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    I ordered a Murakumi Trunklid and it was here in 2 days from Japan! EMS yO!

Sold it to Hyper, maybe he still has it?

Drives
    1994 and 1996
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 443 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    I could show you if cardomain had not revamped their pages, I lost a ton of images on there, and its ridiculously hard to navigate the new pages.

Maybe if we ask nicely "vote4pedro" will post a recent photo of his 1028 trunk next to his stock trunk lid??
    Nope, I cannot do that. My stock NA lid has the original Mazda spoiler on it. But I can post a few pics of the M2 1o28 lid:
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vote4pedro For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (05-02-2014),Phatmiata (05-02-2014),ueru (05-02-2014),WASABI (05-02-2014)

Drives
    1994 and 1996
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 443 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    I ordered a Murakumi Trunklid and it was here in 2 days from Japan! EMS yO!

Sold it to Hyper, maybe he still has it?
    I sold mine to Peter for the Blue Potato. He sold it to ???

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Flyin 92's Avatar
    Drives
    White '92
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by RotorNutFD3S View Post
    That was always my favorite trunk lid for the NA, aside from having an R-package spoiler.
    This. I saw an OE 1028 lid on yahoo japan a month ago and desperately wanted it, but I couldn't justify spending over a grand on a trunk lid. Maybe I'll let luck and find another one.
    Quote Originally Posted by zacatac View Post
    If I said the things in my head I would make a lot of enemies. All I wanted to say was "Isn't the fact that your double chin is resting on your tits enough motivation?"
    Link to the most lack-luster build in MR history

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin 92 View Post
    This. I saw an OE 1028 lid on yahoo japan a month ago and desperately wanted it, but I couldn't justify spending over a grand on a trunk lid. Maybe I'll let luck and find another one.
    and it will still sell for over $1000, they always do!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

druz (04-04-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast