Thread: HPDE 101: Tracking your Miata.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts

HPDE 101: Tracking your Miata.

Starting a thread to share some of my experience and I hope other will bring their questions or experiences to create a topic everyone can learn from.

As always, there are no dumb questions, so please feel free to ask.

HPDEs or track days are a great way to spend time with your friends, test your skills, your car, or safely explore the limits of each in a controlled environment.

In my experience, the value is beneficial not only in terms of seat time but in the skills you can develop that really do translate in day-to-day driving. That means not driving like an idiot on the street, but it gives you an instinctual feel for your surroundings and the experience to handle those sudden situations.

The first thing I tell anyone interested in doing a HPDE is accidents DO happen. They can be rare, but you have to starkly aware of the risks and dangers. My most common response to interested people is this:

"Are you prepared to walk away from your car as a total loss?"

It may be a bit alarming, but it is a distinct possibility. It isn't meant to scare people, but it does make them think.

YOUR CAR

A lot of times, people who are going to run in their first HPDE think they need to get all the modifications they had planned on completed before the event. This is completely wrong. What you need is your car to be completely HEALTHY and mechanically sound. This means fluid leaks, wonky steering components, questionable interior modifications, all need to be addressed. It is FAR better to have your car up to date on maintenance and be safe, than to be 'because racecar' and dangerous.

Each HPDE organization requires a thorough tech inspection, but each are a little different in who performs it. Some require you to have your car inspected my a mechanic, who will check items on the organization's list of requirements and sign off on that sheet (you must bring to the event). Some will inspect your car at the event before you are allowed on the course. If you forego repairs, you risk wasting your time and money by being rejected from participating.

The key here is to be smart, get your car up to snuff. NO ONE wants to be 'that guy' who dumps fluids on the track, has a mechanical failure, or puts others at risk because you won't keep your car maintained.

YOUR SAFETY GEAR

You are going to need a helmet. It is going to have to be up to date and you are going to have to be sure it fits. Motorcycle helmets are NOT the same as SA-rated helmets and most organizations will be very strict about this. There are many vendors who sell them online and offer sizing guidelines to help you make sure it will fit.

You will be required to wear pants, close-toe shoes, even long sleeved shirts. There is reason for this and it is all safety-related. I suggest wearing as much cotton clothing as you can, in case of a fire. If you feel you want buy a driving suit, neck restraint, balaclava, etc. More power to you. As mentioned above, the risk is there, so hedging your bets on being over-prepared is a good thing. Many don't and that is fine too. It is a choice. I would suggest a pair of gloves too. You can use mechanic's gloves or something similar, but they serve a few important purposes; first they help act as a barrier between your sweaty hands and the controls, secondly they will be immensely helpful should you have an incident were you need to get out of your car and there is broken glass or twisted sheet metal between you and exiting the vehicle.

In a Miata, you will be required to have an approved rollbar. If you don't know the difference, we can discuss it below. Simply having your top up or a removable hardtop won't cut it. In the event of a rollover, the hardtop is going to leave the car, sometime quite spectacularly. Please get SFI padding for your bar, too. If you run topless, you may have to get arm restraints that prevent your hands from flying around in a rollover or accident.

YOUR FIRST EVENT

Arrive early. If you miss the driver's meeting, you don't participate. It's that simple. Show up early, give yourself time to get oriented, relaxed, focused. It also helps the organizers to move things along smoothly. You may even get to meet your instructor ahead of schedule and chat them up to release some nervous energy. Yes, you will and should have an instructor who will ride along with you. They are there to make sure you are safe, understand the course, and have a working knowledge of the layout and corner stations. Listen to them. They aren't there to chide you, laugh at you, they are there to help you learn and enjoy yourself. If you ignore the instructor, you will be ejected. No refunds, no sympathy.

Be aware of the rules for your run group, the order you run in the event, and the day's schedule. If you miss your heat, you have to wait for all the groups to cycle through until your group is back out on the course. It's a social event, so just be aware of the time and when your are allowed to grid. Use that time between heats to check your oil level, look for leaks, get come water, maybe even find an advanced driver you can ride along with. It can be an eye-opening experience to ride in another Miata with an advanced driver, particularly if that car is less modified than your own.

It is important you stay aware of your condition, as well as your vehicle's. Remember to eat something, stay hydrated, reflect on the previous heat and where you found yourself not performing as well as you hoped. Some like to review their videos, discuss corner entries, braking points, etc with their instructors. That is perfectly normal and expected. It is also best to reflect on your limits. You aren't going to go out and be King of the Rookies, so keep your ego in check. There will ALWAYS be someone faster.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

apwp93 (05-14-2014),etikoner (05-14-2014),Phatmiata (05-14-2014),Pyr0monk3y (05-14-2014),tsingson (05-14-2014)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Pyr0monk3y's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Well said. I've been working on a video on this topic for a few weeks. I have a couple things to add.

Some require you to have your car inspected my a mechanic, who will check items on the organization's list of requirements and sign off on that sheet (you must bring to the event). Some will inspect your car at the event before you are allowed on the course.
    Some will do both. It's too easy to forge those forms. Forge might be too strong, but the point is, most people fill out those forms themselves, maybe without even looking at their car, and just have a "Mechanic" sign.

maybe even find an advanced driver you can ride along with
    Advanced driver! Yea, don't just hop in a nicely prepared spec miata and expect the dude to know how to drive. That's a pretty dumb thing to do...

Another thing, choose the event carefully. Try to find an event with fewer and more experienced drivers. It's hard to learn when there's 50 inexperienced drivers trying to win first place in... something. Sometimes it's hard to find small events, in that case, go to one that has a reputation for being meticulously well organized such as Chin or NASA. These groups require noobs to have instructors and put them in their own run group.
    Last edited by Pyr0monk3y; 05-14-2014 at 01:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    What the hell are you thinking Andy?
    1991 Track Rat
    Build Thread:
    Function>Everything

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pyr0monk3y For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (05-14-2014),tsingson (05-14-2014)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Great points, let's keep them coming!

Choosing an organization to run with is pretty important. Costs vary, so it is up to you to really be aware of type of experience you want. As Miata drivers, the best HPDEs to start off with are those that may be Miatas-only. Having a lot of the same cars, in different forms of modification, can really be an asset to you.

You should be choosy who you decide to register with for an HPDE. Saftey is paramount and you need to realize different organizations stage their events a bit differently. So, you need to consider this by researching the reputation on an organizer and read about what they provide, how they may have handled dangerous situations and the services they have on hand at the track. This is sort of a value proposition, too. Certain tracks just cost more to drive. Also, some organizations charge higher rates to keep the grid size smaller and manageable. Running at a discounted rate may mean you are running with more cars and more risk. Consider that and prepare accordingly. Keep in mind, people who had a bad experience are more likely to voice their displeasure from their perspective, so be judicial and consider what you want in return for your money.

Ultimately, you are making the decisions and when you get in the emotions of a track environment, you have to be willing to pull out of the heat and steady yourself if you feel you are in danger.

HPDEs are NOT racing, they are not timed events. People easily lose sight of this and testosterone starts flowing, red mist develops and people start getting careless. It is your decision to chose an organization and event you feel will benefit you the most.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

etikoner (05-14-2014),Pyr0monk3y (05-14-2014),tsingson (05-14-2014)

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch
    Drives
    Race car
    Thanks Given
    Brakes are a safety item; do not cheap out on them and inspect them before and after every event. I like Hawk pads and the minimum I could recommend would be their HP+ pad; it should be able to get you through your first few events with no real drama. Make sure you use a quality brake fluid as well such as ATE's TYP200 or Motul's RBF600.

Modifications! Save your money and just drive your car. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, buy an extreme performance summer tire such as the Dunlop Z2s or BFG Rivals. Drive your car, don't worry about modifications. The Miata is a fantastic learning platform and it's extremely forgiving.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DK AFFECT For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (05-14-2014)

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    2000 SE
    Thanks Given
    I am about as much of a noob as you can be... having just completed my first track day, ever..... if you're thinking about doing it, do it! My car had basically one meaningful performance mod (wheels/tires) before going to the track - and I made sure to check my brake pads, which I decided to change. I ran on my stock, 14 year old, original 70k mile Showa suspension... and had an absolute blast. Now, I am officially infected.

I also followed a maintenance prep schedule that mirrors what the OP says - so the car had fresh oil, clean (read recently changed) brake and clutch fluid, and no leaks of any kind. Additionally, I took it to a local, trusted, shop for an inspection the week before the event. I want to make sure I am safe for myself, but more importantly, for the others on the track.

Agreed on the importance of picking the right group... I chose a group well-known and entrenched within the Miata community locally, very open and welcoming to novices. I look forward to running that event again!

Other things I noticed.... It is such a visceral experience the first time out, that I didn't realize I hadn't eaten since about 6AM when we broke for lunch... coupled with the adrenaline rush, that led to a bad combination... make sure you eat and drink, else you will feel it. Additionally, the night before an HPDE or track day is not the night to celebrate your bud's 21st, 40th, or whatever birthday you want.... so plan accordingly. See previous sentiment about safety for yourself and others. In a previous life, we had a saying: "12 hours, bottle to throttle... and NO RESIDUAL EFFECTS." You're not literally flying a low level route on a track, but you should approach your day with that kind of concentration in mind. Get good rest, be alert, be smart about what you drink the night before...

Red mist... rose for me. I told myself it was not a race, I tried to remind myself... but I still found myself waiting (very) impatiently to pass on occasion... and I am sure others who passed me may have felt the same way. You might be more laid back than I, and, if so, that is probably a good thing.... so, the next time I am out, I am going to try to remember the scenarios I encountered and be better prepared for them.

Finally, if you are fortunate enough to have one, be respectful of your instructor. Know that the person in the opposite seat from yours has (more than likely) volunteered their time to try to teach you... the least you can do is try your best a) not to kill them or prove how good you are b) listen to their guidance and implement it in the cockpit, real time c) thank them. I had a great one, one that I would gladly ride with again!

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to apwp93 For This Useful Post:

etikoner (05-14-2014),kung fu jesus (05-14-2014),Phatmiata (05-14-2014),tsingson (05-14-2014)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    Several Miatas, a 69 GT500 Shelby
    Thanks Given
    Whenever I have instructed, one of the first things I tell my students is forget about how fast you are going vs everyone else as it is not about how fast you or your car is, but how consistent you are each lap. I further go on to tell them that faster speeds and faster lap times come later.

Simple, easy to get in to their heads (most of them), easy for them to remember.

We can then work on specific car handling techniques, on camber turns, off camber turns, learning apex entrance and exit strategies, understeer, oversteer, braking, throttle percentages, and a host of other items that seem small until you put them all together.

Bill S.
    Too many to list
    Instead of being part of the problem, why not be a part of a successful solution.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrmustang For This Useful Post:

Pyr0monk3y (05-14-2014),tsingson (05-14-2014)

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch
    Drives
    Race car
    Thanks Given
    That's a good point, I'd highly recommend against drinking alcohol 24 hours before an HPDE. It dehydrates you more than you would think and you need to be on the top of your game concentration wise.

Also also also, be aware of when you're drinking and when your next session is. It's extremely awful needing to cut a session short because you downed a bottle of Gatorade 20 minutes before you hopped in the car and didn't use the restroom beforehand.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DK AFFECT For This Useful Post:

tsingson (05-14-2014)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Pyr0monk3y's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by DK AFFECT View Post
    Brakes are a safety item; do not cheap out on them and inspect them before and after every event. I like Hawk pads and the minimum I could recommend would be their HP+ pad; it should be able to get you through your first few events with no real drama. Make sure you use a quality brake fluid as well such as ATE's TYP200 or Motul's RBF600.

Modifications! Save your money and just drive your car. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, buy an extreme performance summer tire such as the Dunlop Z2s or BFG Rivals. Drive your car, don't worry about modifications. The Miata is a fantastic learning platform and it's extremely forgiving.
    That reminds me. A mistake I've made is overlooking certain parts of the car while upgrading others. If you add grip, you have to add brakes and perhaps some interior improvements. More grip means higher speeds, later braking points and therefore more heat in the brakes. You can't just blindly upgrade one part of the car. It's a system.

You might be ok riding around in your stock seat, on cheap tires, with HP+ pads, but you will be very uncomfortable in the same seat with sticky tires and real brake pads.

Hold off upgrading until you can upgrade the whole system. It sucks to have a car so fast that the brakes are cooked after 5 laps.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    What the hell are you thinking Andy?
    1991 Track Rat
    Build Thread:
    Function>Everything

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Pyr0monk3y For This Useful Post:

tsingson (05-14-2014)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Good point about brakes and tires. They are consumables, just like fuel. If you want to run Autozone pads and all-season touring tires, that is OK, but you will find your sessions ending shorter from brake fade or worse...having a serious off-track excursion. Be smart. You don't have to go out and buy super-zowie stuff, but you should think about the conditions and situations you are going to be in. There are other people out there with you, so have some consideration for their safety as well as your own. Don't be a liability because you're a cheap-ass.

Adding suspension or other modifications to your car before an HPDE is generally a bad idea for a few reasons. First, it is going to give your car different characteristics. If you aren't used to those, it can be alarming or cause you to lose focus. Secondly, if you are a novice, those changes, although subtle, can lead to you putting four wheels off the tarmac. This is usually a big no-no and can lead to you getting flagged early, having a sit down with the organization's staff, or if repeated, ejected. It may seem like a good idea to test these new mods in a controlled environment, but you need to be familiar with their effects before testing them out at the track.

Too often, people will do an HPDE for the first time and begin to formulate a plan to add a plethora of modifications. Why? To go faster. It seems like a logical idea, but it is counterproductive. The Miata, in stock form, is far beyond the limits of most drivers. Going faster in a Miata, or any car, requires experience and skill. The best way to develop the skill and add experience is more seat time, i.e. more track events. Modifications mask your inabilities and showcase your ignorance. I'm guilty of that, for sure. I have seen a good driver in a worn out 1.6 Miata blow the doors off an extensively modified, more powerful Miata with an average driver. It's humbling and an important lesson.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

etikoner (05-14-2014),tsingson (05-14-2014)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Bill has made excellent points.

When I instruct I get students who are more concerned about hand placement, gear selection, heal-toe techniques, etc. I tell them to do what is most comfortable to them. I am not there to critique that, I am there to help them see the driving line, turn in points, brake points, transitions, looking ahead and track etiquette. Speed and passing comes later. When a student starts putting it together, it's always an amazing experience because a light comes on and they start to understand. I prefer to let the student find their track persona within the rules so they can be safe first, then begin to work on how to improve.

I want to add something here, too. Sometimes, some pupils and instructors aren't a good match. If you feel like an instructor doesn't fit your needs, you can request another.

***IMO, your instructor should never touch the controls from the passenger seat while you are driving. This means steering wheel, ebrake, etc.***
    Last edited by kung fu jesus; 05-14-2014 at 02:49 PM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

etikoner (05-14-2014),tsingson (05-14-2014)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    Several Miatas, a 69 GT500 Shelby
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    I want to add something here, too. Sometimes, some pupils and instructors aren't a good match. If you feel like an instructor doesn't fit your needs, you can request another.
    And vice versa, if a student does not listen to you (the instructor), and you feel for the safety of others (or yourself for that matter), do not ever hesitate to guide them back in to the pits and have them follow you to the "Pit Boss". Never get confrontational, just ask them to follow you once you are back in the pits. You can then explain to the "Pit Boss" your concerns and if you have to, suggest that the student be either reassigned, or removed from the function.

Thankfully, I have only had to do this once.

Bill S.
    Too many to list
    Instead of being part of the problem, why not be a part of a successful solution.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrmustang For This Useful Post:

Pyr0monk3y (05-14-2014),tsingson (05-14-2014)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Same here Bill.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! jux's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 White A-pkg, '08.5 CWP MS3
    Thanks Given
    Thanks for the great thread!
    '90 "LE" with red bits - 7/6 Flex, FM Front Bar, 14x7 +19 RPF1, PWR, SPAL, Maxim Works, Thermal R&D, HDHCSDM2, Zoom, Anvil II, 330mm mahogany Deep Corn, AC/PS delete, LE interior, attitude
    '08.5 CWP MS3 GT - AST 4100, TriPoint Rear Sway and Links, JBR STS w/ bushings and lockout plate, Moddiction Anvil II

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone etikoner's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    This thread really is great!

I can't wait to be able to drive my super modified hype beast miata.. lol

26. The Following User Says Thank You to etikoner For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (05-17-2014)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Just want to add some thoughts about another common question I get about HPDEs.

I am often asked about Auto-X versus HPDEs. This is a topic I am hesitant to bring up here because it can be a bit of a hot topic issue, but the focus of this thread is HPDEs.

Both have benefits and can extremely fun. If you are a competitive type with a low, low budget auto-x is a compelling choice to test and hone your skills. I have organized, coached and competed in auto-x over the years, but I enjoy HPDEs more. The key points to my preference are seat time and value.

Autocross poses similar risks as HPDEs, but the speeds are lower and the risks are fewer. At a typical autocross, most courses are about a minute. Some are longer, most are shorter. You will get about 5-10 runs at a typical event. You will rarely see third gear for much time at most auto-x. Some are more, but beyond 10 runs is rare, unless they are special events and I will address that in a bit.

Auto-x will allow you to get the basics of car-handling techniques nailed down and those techniques DO translate well into street and track driving. The classes cars are divided into are competitive and the times can be very close. Typically, though, you will have to work ('volunteer') at the event. This usually means working the event in some capacity such as resetting cones, staging, timing, etc. You will do this for about 1/3-1/2 of your time there. Auto-x is usually a cheaper entry fee as well. Your car will go through a similar tech process to verify it is safe, you will need a helmet, similar clothing but less safety gear.

There are few driving experiences like perfectly nailing a tight slalom portion in a Miata, it feels and literally looks like the car is dancing in and out of the cones. The Miatas excel at Auto-x and you will often find a LOT of them there. I still enjoy doing auto-x on occasion, but I prefer events that allow me as many runs as I can fit in a day as possible. These events are often staged by the same companies that put on HPDEs but they have paid employees working the course so you don't have to. They cost more than typical auto-x event, less than most HPDEs, but I have been able to get 20 or so runs in a day before I threw in the towel.

HPDEs are a better value for seat time, IMO. You will get 4-6 sessions at 15-20 minutes each, on average. They are more expensive to enter and require more gear. The speeds are higher, the 'flow' is longer, and typically at the end of each session, you are getting a little fatigued. When you move beyond novice, you get into groups where you start to learn the art of passing other cars on the course, maybe even blocking skills if you are running with people you know. ;) You can't get that at an auto-x.

HPDEs can also give you the experience of running on some pretty special, hallowed ground; VIR, Road Atlanta, Laguna Seca, etc. There are other, cheaper tracks that are just as much, if not more fun but I remember the first time I ran at Laguna very well. No stranger to HPDEs at my first time there, it still crept into my head all_day, "OMFG! I am banging gears and clipping apexes at LAGUNA freakin' SECA!" The car could have incinerated into a pile of ash at the end of the day and I still would have considered it one of the best days ever. It's not meant to sound elitist, but sometimes you gush at being at a certain track because you have watched or read about it's racing history and events there. Working all day to perfect driving through a track or famous corner, like the Corkscrew, is a lifetime experience you will remember fondly.

Sometimes having the opportunity to do an HPDE at a famous track is very much like this:
    Last edited by kung fu jesus; 05-15-2014 at 09:22 AM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

etikoner (05-16-2014)