Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CSP Miata Secrets

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone MRnewsBot's Avatar
    Drives
    Mazda News
    Thanks Given

CSP Miata Secrets

CSP Miata Secrets

The wonderful thing about SCCA Solo competition, also known as autocross, is you can go have fun with any car – no special preparation or safety equipment, other than a helmet and working seat belts, necessary. Of course, if you start with a Mazda MX-5 Miata, you’re probably having more fun than a lot of people right off the bat.

While SCCA offers a class for just about everything in stock form, things get more fun when you can start preparing the car more for competition without the compromises that a street car must offer. While the Miata is fun, the features that Mazda must put in to make it safe and comfortable on the road ultimately add weight. If you can get rid of a bunch of weight, and stiffen up the handling – so much so that it’s no longer comfortable on the street – then you’ve got something. Go far enough, and you’ve built yourself a C Street Prepared car like Bill Schenker’s.

While the category is called Street Prepared, there’s really not any street left in a car that’s taken to the limit of the rules – no interior, racing seat, racing steering wheel, competition harnesses … all those things make it illegal and/or uncomfortable to drive on the street. So if you’re going to do it, be prepared to dedicate a car to autocross competition.

Building a C Street Prepared car can get expensive in a hurry. Ask Bill Schenker what it takes to build a CSP car like his, capable of winning National-level events and showing well at the Solo National Championships, and he replies, jokingly, “Be rich.” But when he gets serious, he says there are blueprints to follow that will get you to a competitive car without all the trial and error that he did along the way.

“Look at the Eckles car,” he says, referring to the ’94 Miata that Sue Eckles and John Hunter drove to the CSP Ladies and CSP National Championship in 2013. “They’ve got a junkyard VVT motor in it. They’ve done it on a budget to some degree and they’re super competitive. It’s not the money you throw at the car, it’s how you put it together. Suspension is everything. Shocks are the most important.”

Part of hitting the right setup is starting with quality shocks, springs and anti-sway bars. There’s no point in taking intermediary steps here, Schenker says – go straight for the good stuff. Then it comes down to the details.

“I see so many people whose ride heights are off. They’re too low on the front, too high on the back, things like that. It’s all those things that change the car around. Anthony [Porta, his co-driver for the San Diego Championship Tour event] has a Mazdaspeed, and he says my car just sticks more. I’ve got better shocks, but it’s also – with the help of others – got all the details of ride heights and camber. A lot of people make the mistake of putting more camber in the rear than the front. You want a lot of camber on the front and maybe 0.7 degrees less in the rear,” he says
    Above all, don’t be afraid to ask questions.

The autocross grid isn’t like Gasoline Alley at Indy – most people all are too happy to share what they’ve done. Every part that Schenker has put on, he lists here http://www.miataroadster.com/racers

“See what the top guys are doing,” notes Schenker. “See what the Eckles car is like, see what the Tom Kubo car is like, see what I do. It’s a pretty simple formula, and if you go straight to that formula, you’ll save a lot of money.

And, of course, don’t forget to take advantage of the Mazdaspeed Motorsports Development Team Support Program and its corresponding parts discounts and contingencies. Those discounts can go a long way when building a new car for competition.

- See more at: http://www.mazdamotorsports.com/weba....xF9kPLJs.dpuf
    I am your Mazda News Bot!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MRnewsBot For This Useful Post:

BoBo (02-01-2015),Bummer (06-10-2014),Phatmiata (06-11-2014),WASABI (06-11-2014)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Bummer's Avatar
    Drives
    '93 Red, VVT, Haltech, Xida 6ULx9
    Thanks Given
    I'm one of those idiots trying to keep the car streetable in CSP. I love winning, but I just love the backroads, too.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
    I love winning, but I just love the backroads, too.
    Great line!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! KAL's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    '9 3 B R G

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KAL For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (06-11-2014)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KAL View Post
    thanks KAL, I will update it!!

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power atlnb's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    I too run the fine line of running CSP in my daily driver. But CSP happened by accident.
    Last edited by atlnb; 08-24-2014 at 07:49 AM.
    Xida CS | Hard Dog | Corn*s | Bride | Joyfast | Carbing | Beatrush | 6UL | KG Works | Square-Top Manifold | BP5A Cam | Daily/CSP build

Thanks Given
    I don't think this requires a new thread so I'll just add to this one. What is everyone's thought on the Lexan spoiler BlackFab came out with earlier this year? It seems like the spoiler is a great design, and would be useful, however it looks like the spoiler is longer than the maximum length of 10" which is a big bummer. Anyone using this spoiler or a similar DIY option? I would imagine you would need to incorporate a functional front splitter to balance the downforce of the rear to prevent understeer but wanted to see what people in CSP are doing out there.
    Last edited by atlnb; 01-30-2015 at 06:55 PM.
    Xida CS | Hard Dog | Corn*s | Bride | Joyfast | Carbing | Beatrush | 6UL | KG Works | Square-Top Manifold | BP5A Cam | Daily/CSP build

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    You want to know who else runs junkyard motors and is full of win? SuperMiata. Yeah, I said it. Oh, and they do standing starts, which is bad_ass.

:drops mic:

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Bummer's Avatar
    Drives
    '93 Red, VVT, Haltech, Xida 6ULx9
    Thanks Given
    The Blackbird spoiler doesn't look like it complies with the 10" rule to me. I don't run a rear spoiler, but my competition does, and it seems to be a distinct advantage. When he removed it, he and co-driver were several spots slower on the index. He runs with a GV style front lip, no splitter.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! ozbrock's Avatar
    Drives
    2005 Lava Orange MSM
    Thanks Given
    *deleted for incorrect information*
    Last edited by ozbrock; 01-31-2015 at 05:56 PM.

Thanks Given
    From what I've seen, the AOA is adjustable but not the height. 12" at 45* is still 12" at any other angle.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! ozbrock's Avatar
    Drives
    2005 Lava Orange MSM
    Thanks Given
    Just saw his post on CR.net, he said he can make a custom 10" version.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ozbrock For This Useful Post:

wannafbody (01-31-2015),WASABI (01-31-2015)

Thanks Given
    Yea i saw that too. I'm going to look more into that

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! modernbeat's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by MRnewsBot View Post
    ...The autocross grid isn’t like Gasoline Alley at Indy – most people all are too happy to share what they’ve done. Every part that Schenker has put on, he lists here http://www.miataroadster.com/racers...
    Schenker has started a D-Prepared build out of this car. Some of the things, like the wraparound header and rear mounted radiator will be visible, but he's not sharing everything on this one.
    Jason McDaniel

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone wannafbody's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Did he ever win Nationals in CSP with this car?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast