Thread: This V8 Miata is the best car I’ve driven all year

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone MRnewsBot's Avatar
    Drives
    Mazda News
    Thanks Given

Post This V8 Miata is the best car I’ve driven all year

By Zach Bowman June 20, 2014 / Photos by Chris Cantle

So much more than a little car with a big engine.

There’s a coiling stretch of two-lane just outside Grand Junction, Colorado, that scrambles its way off of the desert floor and into the aspens swaying in the Grand Mesa National Forest. It’s a proper climb from the muddy banks of the Colorado to the flat-top summit, covering 6000 feet in 30 miles.

It’s 100 degrees in the valley, but up here, the oxygen’s thin and the temperature’s cool. I’m hammering on Flyin’ Miata’s newest creation: a 2009 Mazda MX-5 with a 430-hp General Motors LS3 V8 under the hood. Flyin’ Miata, based in Grand Junction, specializes in V8 Miata conversions. For reasons I won’t go into here, they call this one Atomic Betty. It’s the best car I’ve driven all year.

The little-car-big-power recipe is one the minds at Flyin’ Miata know well. While the company made its bones building and selling turbo conversions for Mazda’s darling roadster, V8 swaps hit the menu in 2009. Until now, that meant shoving LS engines in first- and second-generation Miatas. This is the first third-gen car that’s gotten the full V8 treatment.

From the parking lot, the car looks like any other modestly modified retractable-hardtop Miata. Plastic fender flares borrowed from Mazda’s Super 20 Concept snug down over meaty Dunlop Direzza ZII rubber thanks to FM Stage II lowering springs and adjustable dampers. There’s a windshield banner proclaiming cylinder count, but this is otherwise a subdued machine.

Until you hit the key. The cockpit rocks with the labor of rolling over that big V8, and when it fires, I feel imp horns grow through my skull. That sound in this car is deliciously illicit.

There’s a Tremec T56 six-speed manual bolted behind the LS3. The big, milled-aluminum shift knob clicks through the pattern with the paced deliberation of a Southern judge, and the clutch pedal is barn-door stiff. The gearbox feels like it was plucked from the Trans-Am glory days. I don’t spend my time kicking in stables, so my first act behind the wheel is to stall the car. Twice.

With the heroics out of the way and a clear stretch of road ahead, I plant the throttle. There are 19 years of chassis development between a 1990 NA-chassis Miata and this 2009 NC, and you can feel every second of that time when you start clicking through gears. Unlike first and second-gen cars with V8 swaps, this NC feels like it grew in the womb with this much power. It doesn’t ripple beneath you. It’s solid, even as the speedometer needle swings past 120 mph.

Parked next to a first- or second-generation Miata, the NC looks positively massive, but it’s that size that makes the third-gen a perfect platform for V8 swaps. Flyin’ Miata stuffs the whole driveline into the car without cutting any sheetmetal—required work on the earlier cars. There’s even room for tubular exhaust headers. V8 Roadsters supplies cradles for both the General Motors engine and the Ford 8.8 rear differential. Aside from a few small modifications, everything bolts into place.

This is the heaviest car Flyin’ Miata has ever assembled. The power retractable hardtop, power heated seats, and V8 driveline push the curb weight to 2821 lbs. Even so, Atomic Betty has a power-to-weight ratio that’s within spitting distance of a Porsche 911 Turbo S. The car goes.

Still, it’s not just a straight-line punching bag. The big Tremec is the heaviest part of the driveline swap, and since it sits in the center of the car, the Miata’s famed balance remains unsullied. Mazda graced the roadster with a 52:48 split. The V8 car makes due with 52.7:47.3.

Barking up the mesa, Atomic Betty feels like a Miata that’s finally found maturity. There’s pull everywhere. Pick a gear, use the throttle like a slot-car trigger, and enjoy the ride. It still feels like Mazda’s little roadster, there’s just more of it. The car still rotates with each mid-corner throttle lift and turns in like a weapon, but the acceleration is sublime. The V8’s low rumble tickles the arch of my foot through the firewall, and the navel-pull of torque has me turning super-legal speeds before I realize what’s happening.

This car wears Flyin’ Miata’s first Little Big Brake Kit for the NC, which pairs stock front rotors with meaty Wilwood Dynapro calipers. FM replaced the back discs with larger rotors from a Mazda 5 and paired them with a set of Powerlite calipers. The pedal feels firm and confident, even after an hour of thrashing up the mountain.

I could do this for days. Or at least until the fuel runs dry. Flyin’ Miata just wrapped up a 2800-mile drive to Atlanta and back. At highway speed, the engine turns just over 1100 rpm, around 26 mpg. I managed to drain the car’s 12-gallon fuel tank in under 100 miles of hammering. Your mileage may vary.

This isn’t a perfect car. The GM engine management system won’t chat with the factory gauges, so Flyin’ Miata turned to a set of aftermarket pieces that look like they belong in a half-baked street rod. It’s the only sore point in the cabin, but given how cohesive the rest of the build is, it’s a big one. The car feels factory, as if Mazda and General Motors joined forces to create the one Miata to rule them all, but those off-putting gauges stare you in the face every time you glance down from the road.

In a word, this car is sorted. A turn-key conversion will cost you $42,995 for warrantied crate GM driveline components, plus a donor NC. That’s big money if you don’t already own a 2006–2014 Miata, and it’s a hard sell when a new Corvette convertible starts at $58,995.

Of the two, there’s no question which one I’d rather call mine. And unlike FM’s previous V8 Miata conversions, the NC is a cohesive, comfortable package that doesn’t sacrifice modern convenience for blinding speed. You get your retractable hardtop and heated leather seats. You just happen to have the exhaust note of the gods and thrust to match.

source: http://www.roadandtrack.com/features...=1459_65676408
    I am your Mazda News Bot!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MRnewsBot For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (06-22-2014),atank (06-24-2014),Hammerhead (06-20-2014),Phatmiata (06-20-2014),Slampen (06-20-2014),The Driver (06-22-2014)

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    And the Corvette forum discusses Miatas...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...posed-ls3.html

No todo que es oro brilla.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

charchri4 (09-10-2014),etikoner (06-22-2014),Phatmiata (06-24-2014)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone etikoner's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    They all say how in cornering speeds over 100 the vette would win. lolol

don't they know anything about how the miata kicks ass at steady state cornering speeds.

then the comment about him dropping 40+ grand in his vette and a miata wont come close.... lol sure it wont, but he just spent three times the amount of money.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to etikoner For This Useful Post:

atank (06-24-2014),Slampen (06-22-2014)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    hahhaaha that thread is pretty funny, how do you NOT know what an Ariel Atom is? And the others just can't get over the fact its a Miata, pretty funny how insecure folks are with themselves. Im willing to bet 99% of those guys have never even driven their vettes on a track, except to do "parade laps" with their 80 y/o wives

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    here is a good video of a V8 Miata showing the handling aspect of the car. I would like to see a vette do that and not fishtail on every corner and end up in a ditch.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

atank (06-24-2014)

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    ^^ I think if that was a Vette the church would have a new entrance!!!!!!!!!! JJ AO and you Vette guys!!!!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to atank For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (06-24-2014)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power maharaj's Avatar
    Drives
    angry
    Thanks Given
    And you wonder why you won't find an abundance of Miata video's like this all over YouTube?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maharaj For This Useful Post:

atank (06-24-2014),Phatmiata (06-24-2014)

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Oh that's not fun to watch, all that fiberglass................cracked..

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! HELLIONMX5's Avatar
    Drives
    BLACKOUT AKA a 2005 black mica mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    Wow, typical comments. Gay, girly, still a miata. Shows more ignorance than anything else. Not knowing what an Ariel atom is... man card revoked.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to HELLIONMX5 For This Useful Post:

Martin (06-24-2014)

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    Yeah, dumb and predictable but remember, these are the same guys who buy chrome door handles and put Corvette logos everywhere there's a flat space. At least a couple dudes were sticking up for Miatas and even posted picts of a nice NC.

No todo que es oro brilla.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Andy's Avatar
    Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given
    Hey. I would buy chrome door pulls for my miata.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! HELLIONMX5's Avatar
    Drives
    BLACKOUT AKA a 2005 black mica mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    Haha, I male fun of my Co worker cause he borrowed his brothers stock na. I just "agree" with the stereotypes. I don't bother to argue with ppl. If they say it's a gay girly car. I say yes, yes it is.