Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts

DIY Removing Rip Stop from OEM Seat Belt on a NA Mazda Miata

If you have installed an aftermarket Steering wheel, or you are planning to do so, you need to READ THIS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by evazerone
    Hey I saw you mentioned "You won't hit the steering wheel as long as you cut the rip-stop out of the seat belt straps. Or use JDM seatbelts."

I tried to Google it, couldn't find anything other than another one of your posts... what is the rip-stop portion you're referring to? I'd appreciate the info!

Thanks.

~William

Because the USDM NA Mazda Miata has airbags, we also have stitched part in the belts called a "rip-stop". This is an area of the seat belt which on a crash or heavy impact is designed to work WITH the OEM Airbags Safety Restraint System.
    Basically what it does is rips upon impact to slow your forward motion into the Airbag as it deploys simultaneously.

If you keep your airbags then do nothing, you should be fine.

HOWEVER, If you have installed a non-airbag steering wheel, AKA aftermarket steering wheel, like MOMO Sparco, Nardi, etc, and have not removed the ripstop then you will get an additional 12" inches of forward travel right into your fancy new steering wheel with your face!

The other option is either a pair of JDM seat belts or a racing harness that is DOT approved.

Let me be clear in saying this should be done at your own risk, and for off road use only, I, (we) the forum, its members, staff, take no responsibility for you, your passenger, or your Miata in anything you do to modify your Miata. (See Disclaimer below)

Disclaimer – Off Road Use Only Modifications

Many things you read about on MazdaRoadster.net are for off-road use only. All modifications and installations are at your own risk. MazdaRoadster.net and its members hold no responsibility either implied or otherwise for safety, mechanical, electrical or other failure when using any aftermarket performance products read about on this forum. Modifications for off-road use only are illegal in many states and provinces and are intended for racing vehicles which may never be used on a public road.

By reading about and preforming any aftermarket performance modification, the person performing said modification takes full responsibility for any use, and/or misuse of the modification and agrees that MazdaRoadster.net and it's members hold no responsibility for any consequences, legal, or other, of such use and/or misuse.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

atank (06-22-2014),Dave737 (06-25-2014),etikoner (06-24-2014),evazerone (06-22-2014),fwdtamiya (06-22-2014),Hammerhead (06-22-2014),kung fu jesus (06-23-2014),MX595 (04-23-2015)