Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY Removing Rip Stop from OEM Seat Belt on a NA Mazda Miata

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts

DIY Removing Rip Stop from OEM Seat Belt on a NA Mazda Miata

If you have installed an aftermarket Steering wheel, or you are planning to do so, you need to READ THIS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by evazerone
    Hey I saw you mentioned "You won't hit the steering wheel as long as you cut the rip-stop out of the seat belt straps. Or use JDM seatbelts."

I tried to Google it, couldn't find anything other than another one of your posts... what is the rip-stop portion you're referring to? I'd appreciate the info!

Thanks.

~William

Because the USDM NA Mazda Miata has airbags, we also have stitched part in the belts called a "rip-stop". This is an area of the seat belt which on a crash or heavy impact is designed to work WITH the OEM Airbags Safety Restraint System.
    Basically what it does is rips upon impact to slow your forward motion into the Airbag as it deploys simultaneously.

If you keep your airbags then do nothing, you should be fine.

HOWEVER, If you have installed a non-airbag steering wheel, AKA aftermarket steering wheel, like MOMO Sparco, Nardi, etc, and have not removed the ripstop then you will get an additional 12" inches of forward travel right into your fancy new steering wheel with your face!

The other option is either a pair of JDM seat belts or a racing harness that is DOT approved.

Let me be clear in saying this should be done at your own risk, and for off road use only, I, (we) the forum, its members, staff, take no responsibility for you, your passenger, or your Miata in anything you do to modify your Miata. (See Disclaimer below)

Disclaimer – Off Road Use Only Modifications

Many things you read about on MazdaRoadster.net are for off-road use only. All modifications and installations are at your own risk. MazdaRoadster.net and its members hold no responsibility either implied or otherwise for safety, mechanical, electrical or other failure when using any aftermarket performance products read about on this forum. Modifications for off-road use only are illegal in many states and provinces and are intended for racing vehicles which may never be used on a public road.

By reading about and preforming any aftermarket performance modification, the person performing said modification takes full responsibility for any use, and/or misuse of the modification and agrees that MazdaRoadster.net and it's members hold no responsibility for any consequences, legal, or other, of such use and/or misuse.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

atank (06-22-2014),Dave737 (06-25-2014),etikoner (06-24-2014),evazerone (06-22-2014),fwdtamiya (06-22-2014),Hammerhead (06-22-2014),kung fu jesus (06-23-2014),MX595 (04-23-2015)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Here is a photo of the USDM Spec Seatbelt

I am pointing to the Rip Stop

Many things you read about on MazdaRoadster.net are for off-road use only. All modifications and installations are at your own risk. MazdaRoadster.net and its members hold no responsibility either implied or otherwise for safety, mechanical, electrical or other failure when using any aftermarket performance products read about on this forum. Modifications for off-road use only are illegal in many states and provinces and are intended for racing vehicles which may never be used on a public road.

By reading about and preforming any aftermarket performance modification, the person performing said modification takes full responsibility for any use, and/or misuse of the modification and agrees that MazdaRoadster.net and it's members hold no responsibility for any consequences, legal, or other, of such use and/or misuse.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Here you can bend this section back and look inside and see a folded up seat belt (about 12 inches worth)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    While I did not want to cut those nice looking red 93-LE seat belts, I did have a black pair from my 96 Miata that I performed this surgery on.

(when I did the swap to red interior I installed red JDM seat belts, now sold off with that Miata)

Look close and you can see the extra 12 inches, I was able to cut out (or release) from the rip stop with an exacto knife (this takes about 30 minutes per side)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Again I cannot tell you to do this as a harness is much safer, however if you have not carefully cut out the rip stop and have an aftermarket steering wheel, you WILL smash your face the next time you are in a car accident.

I hope that helps answer any questions about the USDM rip stop on the early Gen Miatas when installing an aftermarket steering wheel.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

ShawnM (03-03-2015)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Any questions just ask, happy to help you guys out!!!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! ozbrock's Avatar
    Drives
    2005 Lava Orange MSM
    Thanks Given
    Same for an NB?

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    Edit: No! NB1 and NB2 use different methodologies but neither have the folded belt that NAs do in markets that use airbags.

No todo que es oro brilla.

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    I use JDM seatbelts............

12. The Following User Says Thank You to atank For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (06-22-2014)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Andy's Avatar
    Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by ozbrock View Post
    Same for an NB?
    Wait a second. Doesnt the NB have a completely redesigned seatbelt system? Don't they have a crush reel that under some inordinate amount of pressure bends the internals and physically locks the reels, still giving it some built in give before the actual lock?

My understanding was if you had an nb and wanted an aftermarket wheel with no airbag, you needed to swap in an na belt and remove the extra stitching.

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Wait a second. Doesnt the NB have a completely redesigned seatbelt system? Don't they have a crush reel that under some inordinate amount of pressure bends the internals and physically locks the reels, still giving it some built in give before the actual lock?

My understanding was if you had an nb and wanted an aftermarket wheel with no airbag, you needed to swap in an na belt and remove the extra stitching.
    Yes, and I'm browsing through these threads too fast and I should slow down when it's something this important. My apologies.

The NB2 has the explosive pretensioner that is deployed when the airbag does. The NB1 uses a locking spool instead. Neither NB1 nor NB2 have the stitched, giveway belt that the airbag-equipped NAs do.

No todo que es oro brilla.

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    All the NB's that I have bought wrecked, the seat belts were useless and locked........

16. The Following User Says Thank You to atank For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (06-23-2014)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Andy's Avatar
    Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given
    If you have an NB and want to remove the airbag, buy an NA belt and remove the stitching.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (06-23-2014)

Idling - Listen to it purr... evazerone's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thank you!!! I'm glad you posted up this info Phatmiata! I had no idea what was under that little sock covering.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to evazerone For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (06-23-2014)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! iKhanh's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 1990 NA6
    Thanks Given
    so basically it's just a portion of the seat belt that's been folded and held in place by that "sock" thing and is designed to rip upon an impact, correct? i was kinda confused on what's going on here.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to iKhanh For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (06-24-2014)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast