Thread: Angry V8 Rat Rodded Miata

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts

Angry V8 Rat Rodded Miata

This menacing Miata is like nothing you've ever seen
    V8 power. Rat-rod looks. Drift-car stance.

We have seen countless modified Mazda Miatas over the years, but none as weirdly spectacular as this monster built by Tommy Reichelderfer in Covington, Georgia.

Reichelderfer grew up around British roadsters and worked his way through a string of Miatas before this last project began. The idea of combining the Miata and his obsession with rat rods, hot rods, muscle cars, plus a newfound interest in drifting, came about in 2010. Now, after countless hours of bending, tweaking, and fabricating, the project appears to be almost finished.

This menacing contraption, whose original name was Piper, began its life as just another average Miata. All of the work since, other than a bit of wiring and the welding of the exhaust, was performed by Reichelderfer himself.

He's an engine builder by trade, but he learned welding and fabricating in his free time. He told us that this mainly involved lots of experimentation and trial and error.

Although it may look like one of those over-the-top ratty show cars, the entire build is remarkably purposeful. “The idea from the time I got the car was to go V8 and lose as much weight/simplify the car as much as possible, but I didn’t know at the time how it would end up looking,” says Reichelderfer.

It wasn’t until the 350ish-horsepower Ford 302 V8 was fitted and he was out terrorizing the neighborhood without any front sheet metal that he started thinking of the naked hot-rod look.

Soon thereafter, Reichelderfer got the idea for a ’32 Ford front end while thumbing through some hot-rod magazines. There was some concern over it looking goofy at first, but after messing around with grille and light placement a bit, it all came together.

Reichelderfer says there’s still work to be done before he'll be happy with the car, but as it stands, the grille and open nose will stay permanently, as will the bare metal bodywork. Instead of applying a clearcoat, he occasionally gives the car a quick sanding with fine-grit sandpaper. Even in the sweltering Georgia heat and humidity, there have been no signs of rust, and he intends to keep it that way.

Reichelderfer set out to build a killer lightweight Miata with big power, and he nailed it. At the last weigh-in, the car had shed a respectable 180 lbs, all while packing nearly four times the power of a stock four-cylinder engine.

That it looks like the coolest “Zero F**** Given” drift-king Miata is just gravy.

source:
    http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/car-c...?src=soc_fcbks

What a mean machine

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Demon I Am For This Useful Post:

atank (07-25-2014),charchri4 (09-10-2014)

Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,435 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Looks awful, just like all the other "rod" miatas I've seen.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    The front looks great, its not until you get the side shot it looks strange. Im sure if given more time and money you could pull this off, maybe a cropped windshield, wide rear over fenders, independent wheel arches over the front wheels, Moon-Eyes wheels (the chrome smoothies), with redline tires, and or White walls, double hoop rollbar instead of the box type, and something custom for the rear, like a GV panel with Corvette lights, or just full custom, just something other than stock.

Anyhow, I still like the idea.

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    I would drive it like I stole it, oh wait that's how I drive everything.................

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone ScratchNSniff's Avatar
    Drives
    Miata, Pilot, Civics...
    Thanks Given
    Looks like a Grant Wilson Wannabe...

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch m00se's Avatar
    Drives
    BRG '94 NA8T, mariner blue '91 stored
    Thanks Given
    Saw it on tumblr before, don't like it.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Cxmoney's Avatar
    Drives
    A White Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by ScratchNSniff View Post
    Looks like a Grant Wilson Wannabe...
    this guy did it before Grant Wilson did his. if anything, Grant Wilson is a wannabe of this. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    The red is sexy as hell. Would hate to be walking around the car admiring the interior only to see a tan dash. Kinda like seeing a hot chick and finding a dick in the middle.