Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: Inspired by history

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Grumpy's Avatar
    Drives
    Grumman Wildcat (ok, 92 Miata) :
    Thanks Given
    So wintertime in ohio sucks. Car is hibernating but I have ordered parts for spring, fluids will be changed, spark plugs and wires, pcv valve and fuel filter, and delrin window bushings. Can't wait for warm weather!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy For This Useful Post:

tsingson (02-01-2015)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    I like where this thread is going.......

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Not much to update at the moment. Plugs and wires, valve cover gasket, fuel filter and pcv valve done. The fluids are still sitting in the garage. LOL! The window guides are still on backorder, so I'm waiting for those!. I discovered the DS map light had a broken connection, so it was soldered, and works great now. I wanted to check the radio connections, so I attempted to remove tombstone, but couldn't get the vents out,so I've got some research to do to find the best way to do that

I also have spoken to someone about paint, and it looks like it'll be painted this coming winter! The text and star will be vinyl, but under the clear coat. I'm likely going to paint the stock daisys until I can afford other wheels, though those will probably be among the last of my major purchases. I've not found anything to resemble the wheels from the plane, and using steelies with smoothie caps will just be too heavy. I'm considering rota jmags, Rota auto x, Enkei Apache II. Steve suggested the Shakotans, which I also like, but worried about fittment.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy For This Useful Post:

tsingson (04-14-2015)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    I had plans to do a radio delete and put gauges there, so I needed something else for the random occasion I want tunes. I do use it as a DD, so that does happen! After some research, I decided on the kenwood KAC-M1824BT. It's 4x 45w rms bridgeable to 2x90 @ 4ohm. I and the main reasons i chose this one were its size and that it has bluetooth built in. I'll be putting it in the passenger side tunnel under the package shelf and running the wired controller into the center via the holes for the fuel lid release. I'm unsure just what I'll be using for door speakers, but I won't be spending tons so the clearwaters are not an option. Leaning towards the polk db651s 20150720_190137.jpg

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power morr's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Good to see you back! My grandfather was also in the Navy. While I didn't carry on his history towards my car, I did thru the signs/woodworking that I do (as that's what he did upon retirement). Very excited to see how this unfolds
    RoadsterLife<3

8. The Following User Says Thank You to morr For This Useful Post:

Grumpy (07-21-2015)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    unexpected purchases yesterday. Ohio Swap meet= money gone, parts accumulating! FM Frame rails, and stock cross brace for behind the seats. I guess I need to get new plastic pieces for 94-97 or cut my existing ones. leaning towards getting the others as opposed to hacking my plastic to bits. I know I'd do a crap job of it.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grumpy For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (08-10-2015),tsingson (08-11-2015)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    So the other day I finally got around to installing this:

Probably a negligible difference, but I like it.
    Today I got a shifter rebuild kit from Project-G (and a business card from this forum :-) and decided to install it right away.

I had lots of slop in the shifter.(It felt and looked like I was in neutral even when i was in gear) after removing everything, I found out why! These are the pieces I removed.

What's that you say? where's the bottom bushing? um yeah, it wasn't there, at least most of it. I fished out one piece that was about 1/8 of the bushing. hence the slop I guess!

The difference, obviously is night and day. It feels like a whole new transmission! wish I had done it sooner.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    installed last week, GarageStar door bushings.
    Yesterday I began my install of the Amp and speakers:

I needed something to mount the amp to, and keep in in place, so off to the workshop! A little sawing here, filing there, and voila!

It should stay in place quite well, unless i flip the car that is.

now i need to find the time to fab speaker brackets, and run the wires. I'm not using the stock wiring since I am not running a head unit. I had some sony xplod speakers fall into my hands for free, so I'll be trying those before buying the polk spearkers. I'm also debating if I want to install a set of 6.5 or 6x9s on the package shelf. I guess it'll depend on how it sounds without.

Any suggestions on how to clean the corrosion/padding off the package shelf and the fuel tank access cover?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (09-12-2015)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Really neat you are doing it in memory of someone that inspired you, look forward to the progress since i too have a aviation theme! I would love to see a paint scheme that you suggested but i can't ever see myself doing it....to bold for me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for lead on the Nardi twin spoke wheel since it is exactly what i have been looking for to use for pics and car shows if i ever do any. I was just going to just get a ebay F1 style steering wheel since i wasn't planning on actually driving with it but would rather pay more for a quality piece.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Grumpy (09-13-2015)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Charlie, how do you like that amp? I have my interior blown apart and want to replace mine with a smaller (in dimension) unit.

For corrosion on that panel, scotch bright or rust converter, then paint with a heavy undercoating or heavy applications of plastidip. It will cut a little noise rising from there.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Grumpy (09-13-2015)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Steve, I haven't tried out the amp yet, car has been sitting for 3 days as I've been very busy with work. Hopefully it will be pretty good. I figure its gotta be better than the pyle one I've seen. The only other bluetooth one that I considered was a... jensen marine amp I think, but this seemed to be a bit better. Thanks for the idea on the covers!

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Work is progressing slowly on the amp install due to work, however got some done today! I decided to clean up the package shelf and covers since they were in bad shape... when I removed the fuel tank inspection cover I had a surprise!

Looks like the previous owner must have let the car sit for a while, so some varmints made a home. Cleaned that out, and after lots of time with a grinder, some primer and paint, I have this to put in.

And lest you think no work was done on the actual install, we managed to feed the speaker wire through the door grommets yesterday, and today used a solder connection with some shrink tubing after, to connect the speaker wires to the corresponding wires from the amp.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    '92 black & Tan Miata
    Thanks Given
    It's sort of ironic using a Japanese car to build a car themed after a war in which (on one front) we fought the Japanese. Sounds like a cool build, though.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    True flooglemop, but no way am I gonna piss off vets by having a Japanese Zero driving around!

Work progressed a little today. I decided to remove the rain rail retainers as they weren't in much better shape than the covers we took care of yesterday.

A bit more grinding and some primer work, only to discover I didn't have enough black paint left, so tomorrow I know what I'll be doing.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Rain rail retainer painted and reinstalled, as well as the fuel tank access covers. We got the power wire and ground all set up but when tested, we got nothing. Checked connections and fuses, all were fine.I then decided although there was no head unit, maybe we needed to connect the power control wire that would normally go to the head unit. Bingo. All works well, but need to connect it to a switched power source. Tried the fuse block for the defrost and antenna in the trunk but those were constant, so decided to run to footwell cigar fuse. Ran out of time, so will be doing that Saturday, and mounting speakers. While we had power, I connected the phone via bt to test the free speakers, and it worked ok. I'll likely run an rca to 3.5 to the amp before I button things up, so I have the connection available if I want to run something else.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy For This Useful Post:

tsingson (10-15-2015)

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast