Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Airliner

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! riefdaddy's Avatar
    Drives
    94 Red NA
    Thanks Given
    Let me guess, it bucked going uphill when in the 35-50mph zone only. Plugs were only a short term fix for me. Check your COPs and see if you have bad boots. I just got frustrated and bought a new set from Accel and that seems to have solved all my issues (2500 miles and counting). I have the 5.4 Triton in a 2005 F-150 4x4 Lariat. Now the only thing that bugs me are the cam phasers making that clacking sound...

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    It would do it even at 70mph. It was only when a small load was put on. I remember reading all that when I did my 05 but the plugs held strong. Glad they switched to the one piece. It wasn't hard. Just a pain.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

riefdaddy (09-10-2018)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    So it's been a while since I updated this thread but I haven't really done anything other than putting more miles on it. But one thing that has bothered me was the front grill. I replaced the OEM one with a carbon fiber look one with a sportier look. I had always wanted to color match the surround and leave the center mesh black. Well since I have been on a somewhat painting spree, I decided to give it a go. The faux carbon fiber was starting to dust off as I believe it was hydrodipped. All the years of being in the outside elements just deteriorated it. So I scuffed up the grill and got it ready for paint with primer. I used filler and primer to help take care of some of the rock chips but it didn't take care of everything. That's fine. It will get abused some more when driving.

Not many pics of the painting of the actual color only because it's boring to me and you guys have seen it documented on my NB build. I went to Autozone for the color match but they did not have the actual match for my "premium" Ford white. It's a metallic pearl. At least that's what Ford says and they charge extra for it. I found a white that was close but it was a Toyota white pearl. So I painted it the first time on the primer and for whatever reason, the color looked gray. Not sure if the color was allowing the primer to be seen a bit. So I restarted and this time after the primer coat, I used some leftover Ford white that I had from my other Expedition. Different white but if the color underneath is seeping through, at least it will be white. So after the white coat, I sprayed the Toyota pearl and it turned out a lot better. Of course, 2K clear was sprayed and that made all the difference. The white's don't truly match but for me, it was close enough. You almost have to look for it to notice that it doesn't match.

Here is before and no emblem:

Here is before with an emblem:

Here is after (not in the sun):

You can see I polished out the Ford emblem. The blue had faded over time. I read that this happened on a lot of vehicles. Sucks because I really liked that blue against the white.

Here is after (in the sun):

I also had some white pearl vinyl that I was originally going to use for the grill but realized I sucked at wrapping and should just leave it to the professionals. So I cut out a small piece and carefully cut out the "Ford" name. I think it turned out pretty nice but it definitely could be cleaned up in some places. You will only notice the problem areas when up close. I may get a blue vinyl and do it later but at least I have numerous options. All in all, I think it turned out great and it was just a small detail that made a big difference to me.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (06-08-2020),kung fu jesus (06-08-2020),Martin (06-08-2020)

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    Looking better and better!

No todo que es oro brilla.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

tsingson (06-08-2020)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    Man, that looks great!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Demon I Am For This Useful Post:

HarryB (06-09-2020),tsingson (06-09-2020)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Make sure to introduce yourself to the forum, Demon I Am. Glad to hear from you again and thanks for the compliment.

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    So a new update. I was getting a weird clicking noise from behind the dash every so often. I looked it up and it looks like the cause was the blend door motor. The plastic gears were known to break and cause the clicking noise.

See here:

I don't have pics of the replacement motor or the installation part. It was hot outside and I just wanted to finish. So the dealership charges about $1000 to replace this motor. They say it's because they have to remove the dash. I ordered a Motorcraft part from Amazon for $18. You pop the clips of the bezel around the radio and then remove the radio and the motor is right there. It is a bit tight to get the rear screw but you can use a 1/4" ratchet and 8mm socket and go slowly. There is some metal to give you some nice paper cuts on your arm but I can deal with that while saving a crap ton of money. So that was a small update for the Expedition.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (06-30-2020),kung fu jesus (06-30-2020)

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    Good job! A thousand dollars....hahahahaha! I get the same satisfaction every time I mow my lawn or repair something in the house.

No todo que es oro brilla.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

tsingson (06-30-2020)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    If I had an 8mm ratcheting box end, I could have probably done it faster too. Took me maybe 30 minutes to take out and another 10 to put back in. It was really hot though.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    It’s like old BMW odometer gears, lol.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

tsingson (06-30-2020)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Here is a video that records the actual clicking noise:

Here is a good video on how to do it:

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    So my tires were starting to howl when driving and it became annoying. I finally just broke down and picked up some new tires.

BF Goodrich All-Terrain TKO in a 285/65/18

I ordered from Tire Rack and the tires were sent. Funny enough, 2 of them got separated so I had to wait a couple of days before I had all 4 in my possession. Tire Rack recommended these mobile installers but when I looked at their fees, they charged an extra $50 bucks to come out on top of what they charged to install the tires. I'm good. I brought it to AAA and also had them address my TPMS light.

Here they are installed:

I absolutely love the way they look on the truck. Quiet sound and very comfy ride. No TPMS light also makes me happy.

So AAA did an inspection of course to upsell. They told me my air filter needed to be changed. I told them I would do it but when I removed it, the things was pristine. I can't remember when exactly I changed it but I know that I haven't driven the truck that much either. But they did tell me about a heater hose that had a slight leak.

Ok. I looked up the price of the hose from Ford. ~$80. Not terrible but I saw that it was still plastic. Really? I had an idea to cut off the T and just use a brass T from Lowe's or something. Apparently, everybody has been doing it. So I went and bought one.

Here is the removal of the plastic clamps and the T:

I hate wormgear clamps so I found some spring hose clamps and bought them.

Total cost was roughly $20 for the brass T and a pack of spring hose clamps. Works like a charm. I was seeing some people were being quoted $300 to replace that hose from the dealership. I'm good.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (09-02-2020),HarryB (09-03-2020),kung fu jesus (09-02-2020)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MaRcOp01o's Avatar
    Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 567 Posts
    Dam the wheels and tires look sick!
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Eunos Roadster B-spec by Mazdaspeed
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....819#post222819
    1993 Mazda Miata LE
    https://mazdaroadster.net/showthread...233#post244233

22. The Following User Says Thank You to MaRcOp01o For This Useful Post:

tsingson (09-02-2020)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanks man. I appreciate it. The truck originally came with 20" wheels but there was no way I was going to keep those. I had/have every intention of using this truck for what it was meant to do.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

HarryB (09-03-2020),MaRcOp01o (09-02-2020)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    Thanks man. I appreciate it. The truck originally came with 20" wheels but there was no way I was going to keep those. I had/have every intention of using this truck for what it was meant to do.
    Cruising the mall? ;)

Updates look great! Nice work.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

MaRcOp01o (09-02-2020),tsingson (09-02-2020)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast