I'm loving that sunburst!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tkblazer For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (03-03-2018)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift oldgrayleather's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 Mariner, '92 SB, '91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 946 Posts
    Now that I was set free to start Benny's build I wasn't sure where to start. So much inspiration but hadn't landed on a clear direction. I spent a ton of time poring through the retro-inspired thread but wasn't sure a Mariner could pull it off. On the way to get the Robbin's top installed saw my first modded Mariner in person...

Lots of parts I appreciated on many builds but so important to see something in real life. I knew the daisies had to go and while I was waffling on the *perfect* wheels something came up in the classified's I couldn't pass up...

Gold RPF1's, 14x7 +19. I like smaller meaty wheels on NA's (I'm lovin' MadaboutMX5's 13" Hayashi's!!). The offset was just right and my favorite vintage wheels are all gold.

Benny ready for his new shoes...

...and on!

The difference in grip was fantastic to the point I wasn't barely even embarrassed about the ride height. Well, atleast while I was driving and didn't have to look at it...

Love the look and have only wobbled when I had a pang of thinking it looked like it was trying too hard to be a WRX STI tribute. Bronze may have been the better choice but the reason for RPF1's? Because trackdays with the right rubber for when I find the perfect something for daily driving.

When I move past the cosmetic changes and onto the mechanical, I REALLY need a lift!
    Last edited by oldgrayleather; 11-05-2015 at 07:59 PM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (05-24-2016),HarryB (11-06-2015),Madaboutmx5s (11-06-2015),Roadster7 (07-10-2018)

Drives
    FM2 Turbo Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,183 Times in 472 Posts
    Looking good Pete.

MadaboutMX5s

**** Tuckin 99 N2 'FM2 Turbo' Eunos Roadster ****
    **** Pitcrew Racing 'IRTB'd' Eunos Roadster ****
    **** 1995 'Stock' Satellite Blue Eunos Roadster R Limited ****
    **** 1993 Eunos Roadster 'JDM' S-Special ****
    **** 1991 'Stock' Eunos Roadster J Limited ****
    **** 1995 'Stock' Chaste White Eunos Roadster R Limited ****
    **** 1994 'Stock' Eunos Roadster RS Limited ****
    **** GReddy Turbo 'Demo' Chaste White Eunos Roadster R Limited ****

Instagram
    Facebook

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Madaboutmx5s For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (11-23-2015)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Four months and no updates. Pathetic even when blaming my work travel schedule and shoulder surgery that left me stuck driving a slushbox for three months . Time to stop procrastinating.. especially because I'm hoping some major updates will be happening in the coming months. Benny had been checked out and was running solid so first order of business was starting with the interior. Ordered an OEM shiftknob from Arlington, new tombstone and drink holder (to replace the ashtray) and drove up to ProjectG hoping to find a load of bits to peruse in person only to find most of the shop had been taken over by RC drift goodies but picked up their leather shift boot/ brake handle cover. Was tipped off when RSpeed had new KG works clusters in stock which was the missing piece to set my RevLimiter Rossa gauges

First time I had ever done anything to a car myself but had to start somewhere. Had my eldest and my nephew help...

and of course the dog (Frodo.. small, furry feet, likes elevensees) wanted in on the action too...

Of course, pretty much all the clips for the gauge hood broke so ordered a replacement

Onto the gauges...

Soo very pretty. Adam's gauges are stunning, his attention to detail in everything that comes in the kit and instructions that made this really straight forward..

A pic I snapped fully installed when Benny clicked over 53k

Only thing I can't figure out is that the gauge hood covers the bottom text on the cluster. Anyone else have this problem?
    Last edited by oldgrayleather; 03-19-2016 at 02:00 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (05-24-2016),Roadster7 (07-10-2018)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Also in July, signed up as an MR.net supported and ordered GarageStar's Delrin Door Bushings after all the accolades here. Before checking out, couldn't resist ordering their front plate relocation kit...

The bushings gave a noticeably better/ tighter fit for the doors and such a quick job. I think the plate relocation also makes a massive difference.

At this point was thoroughly appreciating having ordered Adam's JIS screw drivers...

Also decided I needed to start my sticker collection to help celebrate all things Miatae/ JDM...

The workshop rug test fit in the car worked fine but only for a laugh.

Bit the bullet on the Cloverleaf I'd been lusting after. Such a great weight and somehow just feels fantastic...

Last of the summer projects was a pair of Clearwater speakers. Have been really impressed with the improvement...

It wasn't that I was getting lazy but had my shoulder dislocate for the fourth time (never been able to manage Mel Gibson's trick from lethal weapon and because of how my should originally went out always get morphined up and then put under before they can get it back in.. always feels like a total hassle/ waste of time.. and $ that could be better spent on Benny
    Last edited by oldgrayleather; 03-19-2016 at 12:46 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (05-24-2016),Roadster7 (07-10-2018)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Driving up to see Moti tomorrow. Hopefully will have a decent update to share along with the catch-up stuff since last summer...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (04-07-2016)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Moti is good people.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (04-08-2016)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    Moti is good people.
    Damn straight! Great team up at Fabworx and fun to finally see Creampuff in the flesh. Bar looks beautiful. Only damper on the day was that it started raining so had to drive home with the top up (sorry James/ Ry - that's rare here ;).. + Obama's visit made the 34 mile return trip take an hour, forty five

16. The Following User Says Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (04-08-2016)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Ah yes, SOCAL traffic. I have been training on ATL traffic in preparation for my eventual return.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    After many months and more email communication that I could keep track of, I finally had three separate packages land, clear customs and arrive at the house...

Great impetus for me to catch-up on the backlog of updates.

I don't think I've been this excited since 1979 when I got the Millenium Falcon under the Christmas tree!

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (04-26-2016),Demon I Am (04-18-2016),Greasemonkey2000 (05-24-2016),HarryB (04-15-2016),JamieH (04-18-2016),Roadster7 (07-10-2018)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    After my first trip to Japan following my induction into the cult of miatae, I made it to Car Make Corns. Incredible experience.. awesome people and a ton of eye candy

(more pics in this thread...http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....ar-Make-Corn-s)

Mostly picked up some stickers and a JDM tombstone so I can eventually fix the Metra radio install kit. Had a chance to sit in their bucket seats but found they were just too tight a squeeze. Glad I'd had a local friend place an order for me to RS Products for their needlecaps, vent trim rings and HVAC knobs so I had some real goodies to bring home and install..

I cut off the needle ends as they were obscuring my RevLimiter gauges. Really pleased with the end results, pictures don’t capture the glimmer that dances across the caps. Snapped this just after crossing the 55,000 mile mark…

Along with the now discontinued RS Products HVAC plate, the HVAC knobs and gauge rings looked perfect with Adam’s Retro Hazzard switch:

Before leaving Rev Limiter’s check-out, couldn't help but order a set the door sill inserts to go on top of the new side steps.

And got some perfectly sized stickers that cover the head of the lighter perfectly..

Overall was feeling like the interior was starting to get somewhere

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (04-26-2016),Greasemonkey2000 (05-24-2016),HarryB (04-16-2016),JamieH (04-18-2016),Roadster7 (07-10-2018)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    After learning about Zoom's Rakuten site on MR.net, received a package via EMS shortly after...

One of those instantly gratifying installations.. very easy work to make some subtle changes that add an incredible detail to the car. With the mirrors, visibility is a bit compromised but totally functional with the extended arm on the passenger side..

and yep, need to clean up the rubber under the mounts but first have to decide if I'm keeping the tonneau plates or not. Randy - do you still have the OEM set avail?

So shiny but learned quickly it doesn't stay that way. Will need a proper polish on clearcoat to save me from using the whole tube of aluminum polish this year..

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (05-24-2016),HarryB (04-17-2016),JamieH (04-18-2016),Roadster7 (07-10-2018)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Had been asking James (madaboutmx5) about some of his incredible collection of parts and during a business trip to London in November he offered me the chance to drop by and see a couple of his cars in person! I landed at Heathrow from LAX, took the coach to Gatwick where he ever so kindly picked me up and took me to his. It was dark and cold and wet but actually seeing these cars in person after pouring over every picture I could find online was unbelievable. Such an amazing collection of parts on two of his incredible builds. First time I've been able to see most of the Nakamae parts in person, actually sit in the Type R's (perfect fit!!) and seeing an exceptional pitcrew install with such attention to detail.. the care reflected in the placement of the side markers and the rounded hood were just exceptional to take in, in person.. was so excited I didn't even register jetlag until I got back to my hotel.

These pictures are terrible and don't do either build justice but for me, they do bring back that moment of first uncovering these cars in vivid detail.

James' kindness and generosity was absolutely humbling. Such an amazing bloke that let me impose on his family time sharing fantastic experiences and stories of his long history with MX-5's. I left the UK being reminded so clearly why we loved living there over eight years.. it is all about the people.

I have to say I have been blown away that in such a relatively short period of time, this community has introduced me to some exceptional human beings...

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (05-24-2016),HarryB (04-17-2016),JamieH (04-18-2016)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    The holidays came and the lovely Mrs R found some wonderful bits for under our tree.. shiny CM aluminum window cranks, a much needed replacement windshield cowling and an IL Motorsports hood lift kit.

Oh and a vintage California plate that is so incredibly perfect!

In January, Randy helped me get a start to a collection of HyperRev's & Road&ster's...

I find pouring through the pages so incredibly gratifying particularly on my long haul flights one of which included my trip to Tokyo in February. I was only there for two days which didn't allow for any Roadster related trips despite my hope to get back to Corns and maybe to a SuperAutoBacks or Upgarage. The best things I came back with were from Kaneda's shops including this incredible Bandai Samurai Storm Trooper, the requisite green tea and strawberry cheesecake kitkats along with an even stronger love of the vibrancy of that city.

Best thing I didn't come back with was salmonella from the raw chicken sushi...

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

benpopham (04-17-2016),Greasemonkey2000 (05-24-2016),JamieH (04-18-2016),Roadster7 (07-10-2018)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Someone on another forum was parting out their collection of memorabilia and I couldn't help wrangle a deal for some new mags, original brochures for both the mariner (90) and the sunburst (92) and most of his collection of models!

The Century is stunning...

...but these really are the most fun

Mrs. R is a saint who not only totally supports and understands this passion but actually encourages it. Shortly after I got back from Japan, she joined me for a late night jaunt up to ProjectG with the top down since they had just received their order of Daikei hubs and had the Wood and Black Nardi I knew belonged in my car. While we were there, one of the RC drifters asked if she wanted to give it a try. Of course she did so she did laps while I checked out the parts and then we had a fantastic drive home. 11pm is one of the rare times the LA freeways can actually be clear.

There's not much I enjoy more than the projects my boys and I can work on together.

And in...

After that, my eldest and I did some cleaning

So we could take the dog for a drive and some amazing views...
    Last edited by oldgrayleather; 04-17-2016 at 08:41 PM.

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

benpopham (04-17-2016),BRGNA8 (04-26-2016),Greasemonkey2000 (05-24-2016),HarryB (04-17-2016),JamieH (04-18-2016),Roadster7 (07-10-2018)

Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 1234567891252 ... LastLast