Page 66 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1656596061626364656667686970717273 ... LastLast

Thread: This ain't no build thread!

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,595 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefmg View Post
    Did you replace the piece that runs along the top of the door all the way to the front? You can see the front end of it below your vent window.
    Quote Originally Posted by DazedAndConfused
    I dont know a word you just said, but that **** sounded COOL.

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 527 Posts
    No other way to do it, it's all one piece (picture #9 in post 966 shows the old one on the floor). It comes up in the guide for the front of the window, then wraps around the rest of the door to the rear.
    '00 SE, intercooled BRP MP62, Reverant MS2, Ohlins DFV, Konig Flatout (now X 2)
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    This ain't no build thread!

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    I do not really like the grille. Not the looks of it, but the fact that it will block a lot of the radiator flow (a lot more than what one might think by looking at it). Not sure f it will create a real issue (most probably not), but worth keeping an eye to coolant temp during summer months.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

chiefmg (11-16-2021)

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    No other way to do it, it's all one piece (picture #9 in post 966 shows the old one on the floor). It comes up in the guide for the front of the window, then wraps around the rest of the door to the rear.
    I was referring to the Belt Line Moulding. My fault. Here's how you pull it out:

The shop bodged mine slightly:

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bryan For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (12-12-2021),chiefmg (11-16-2021)

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    I do not really like the grille. Not the looks of it, but the fact that it will block a lot of the radiator flow (a lot more than what one might think by looking at it). Not sure f it will create a real issue (most probably not), but worth keeping an eye to coolant temp during summer months.
    Understand your concern and it is something I am thinking of as well. Good thing I have Tuner Studio to monitor temps! I doubt I will see any issues now due to ambient temperatures. On the plus side this will provide better protection for my heat exchangers than the slatted one I took off.

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I was referring to the Belt Line Moulding. My fault. Here's how you pull it out:

The shop bodged mine slightly:

Gotcha, I didn't read your description well enough. No, I did not replace that piece so can't tell you how it goes in.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    weather strip replacement on most cars is a chore. Good luck on it all.

Thanks Given
    Everything was nicely dry this morning so proceeded with the installation. Yesterday evening I put the edging back on, along with a piece of silicone hose I split to cover the cut-out area for my tow hook. That looked like this:

I ended up taking off the hose piece as there wasn’t enough room for it without cutting the grille back further. I mainly wanted it to prevent any rubbing on the tow hook but clearance looks sufficient for that to not be an issue. First time I put it on the sections for the bolts wouldn’t line up so I removed it and cut those back a little more. Second time was a charm!

As can be seen, it appears almost transparent to the camera so I don’t think it will block too much airflow.

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon I Am View Post
    weather strip replacement on most cars is a chore. Good luck on it all.
    I am majorly wishing I'd have just handed the body shop a box full and said "here...do this while you've got the car apart". That was a numb-nuts moment on my part.
    I ended up taking off the hose piece as there wasn’t enough room for it without cutting the grille back further. I mainly wanted it to prevent any rubbing on the tow hook but clearance looks sufficient for that to not be an issue. First time I put it on the sections for the bolts wouldn’t line up so I removed it and cut those back a little more. Second time was a charm!

As can be seen, it appears almost transparent to the camera so I don’t think it will block too much airflow.
    Looks good!

Thanks Given
    Got under her this morning to calibrate the O2 sensor. I have been seeing unusual AFR readings (higher than normal under steady state cruise), at first I thought maybe it was due to the colder temperatures we’ve been having but my gas consumption was up as well. Thinking about it yesterday I realized when I had my battery problem a few weeks ago it might have caused the sensor to reset. After I did the calibration and took a drive she was behaving much better. I have now put this as a point of reference for any future occurrence. Sometimes I’m a little slow on the uptake.

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    Got under her this morning to calibrate the O2 sensor. I have been seeing unusual AFR readings (higher than normal under steady state cruise), at first I thought maybe it was due to the colder temperatures we’ve been having but my gas consumption was up as well. Thinking about it yesterday I realized when I had my battery problem a few weeks ago it might have caused the sensor to reset. After I did the calibration and took a drive she was behaving much better. I have now put this as a point of reference for any future occurrence. Sometimes I’m a little slow on the uptake.
    A good axiom:

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

Thanks Given
    Nice day here so took her out to run to the store. On the way home, I got a big E8 error code on the wideband. She would run ok steady-state but bucked under acceleration. I nursed her home (couple of miles), before I shut her down I checked the battery voltage since that has been an intermittent problem. Voltage was steady at 14.6 so that wasn’t an issue. Checked my wideband instructions and it says the E8 code is for a sensor timing error (overheating or overcooling, appears at full throttle OR damaged sensor). Looks like I’ll be hoisting her up into the air for a look.

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    Bummer

Thanks Given
    O2 sensor arrived today so out to the garage I went. Put her up on the QuickJack, removed the old sensor, reset the wideband, connected/calibrated the new sensor (important step) and then installed it. Old sensor didn’t look bad so must have suffered an internal failure (I’m guessing due to my sometimes rich condition). It was on the car for 9,351 miles.

FYI, DIY Autotune sells two different Bosch O2 sensors. The LSU4.2 (which is what I have) and the LSU4.9. If you check their site the only external difference is the connector on the 4.9 is not as wide as the one on the 4.2. I would have to change out the cable going from the sensor to the Megasquirt if I wanted to change to the 4.9 sensor.

Time to do the job (including putting her up and down on the lift) was the length of the first Saint Asonia album.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

atlex (01-15-2022),Bryan (01-16-2022),kung fu jesus (01-15-2022)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    4.2 is supposedly more durable than the newer 4.9

19. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

chiefmg (01-16-2022)

Page 66 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1656596061626364656667686970717273 ... LastLast