View Poll Results: Should Mazda have taken the Retro design route for the ND MX-5?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Retro all the way

6 20.69%
  • Present design, they say you can't go back

21 72.41%
  • Maybe they could have designed something better

2 6.90%

Thread: Poll: Should Mazda have taken the Retro design route for the ND MX-5?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! DarylSibcy's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 1990 Miata w/ITBs ;)
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by MiataQuest View Post
    If they put it into a Miata, they would probably tune it to 155 hp
    BBR have already 155hp~ with a remap on the 1.5L engine, they sell the "starchip" for around £600, damn bargain. That power rivals my built 1.6, mine cost near £4k to get to that level though. The 2.0L can apparently hit 195hp with their cams and a remap.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mazda either up the power output, or decrease the engine size significantly (to a 1.2L/1.3L - or whatever gives them the same output as the current lineup). I feel the latter is more likely given the world of today demanding fuel efficient engines that produce less CO2... Why not abuse the high compression with a smaller engine, best of both worlds

I'll even go as far as saying I wouldn't be surprised if they could pull it off with a little 3 cylinder engine to cut weight off the engine block.

Problem is, if they did, would it want to rev the same? Very few cars in today's market rev up to 7500rpm. Not ones with small price tags anyway

BBR-MX-5-ND-1500-StarChip-Super-160-Power-Graph.jpg

Apologies on digressing from the OP's topic. Back to NA vs ND looks

Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    I think Mazda is tone deaf to the American consumer. Being Japan’s smallest car company that could, you would think they’d listen to 20 years of feedback and install the same 360hp motor in the Miata as they did their Speed3s.
    It would only work with an American market though. Lack of power is always the top comment when talking about a Miata, but I've noticed it tends to be the West that it's mostly a problem too. Being in the UK myself, people tend to lean towards Tuner cars rather than Muscle. The Mustang and Camaro are awesome and gorgeous cars, I still haven't driven one to this day. I've chased one over the local mountain during a race event though, 5.0L vs 1.6L. In my environment here anything more than 200hp and I don't see it being used, the roads are too narrow and aren't straight enough to open a big engine up.

You at least have Flyin' Miata for the V8 jobs
    Last edited by DarylSibcy; 12-28-2017 at 11:42 AM. Reason: *Added dyno link
    You want a good car. I want a good miata.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DarylSibcy For This Useful Post:

HarryB (12-31-2017)