Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: small turbo vs n/a for daily driving Miata

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch
    Drives
    Silver NB '03 Miata
    Thanks Given

small turbo vs n/a for daily driving Miata

I get tired of the stock power of Nb2 Miata. i dont need crazy big hp. I just want my miata little bit faster, maybe around 150. which one would be a better choice for me as daily driving? I drive 120 miles to go to school every other day, so i need something less maintenance as possible. My budget is around 2-3k. I have been thinking about either voodoo I or Ms3 with intake and header. Thanks
    Last edited by Martin; 10-29-2013 at 09:33 AM. Reason: fixed typo in heading

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift I<3flippyheadlights's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Spirited Green Miata!
    Thanks Given
    For 3k you can get a pretty decent set up. But if you are driving the car every other day for 120 miles, you won't have time to install it all.
    1990 Miata, she was red but now she is Spirit Green!

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....d-a-love-story <--- build thread!

Also check out the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/IHeartFlippyHeadlights !!! Its a facebook page dedicated to the awesomeness which is flippyheadlights! Not me, but the actual headlights! High time someone noticed how awesome these things are; check it out!

Idling - Listen to it purr... walsh5racer's Avatar
    Drives
    Green 2001 Miata
    Thanks Given
    From what all the local guys tell me a supercharger is the way to go for a daily, it is a bolt on and be done affair. There is a guy that has one of the original KraftWorks superchargers on his NB, its a daily and it is VERY fast. I know everyone likes the wooosh bang factor of the turbo, but his car is soo damn fast!!! plenty good for a daily.

a quick search on here and you will find the same kit for a good sale price that meets your budget and even 6 months no interest!!!

http://www.projectgla.com/shop_perform.html

Last edited by walsh5racer; 10-28-2013 at 12:23 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to walsh5racer For This Useful Post:

johnfett (10-28-2013)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone SM16RMSM's Avatar
    Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    If you want to spend a bit more money, the Kraftworks kit is really nice. Bolt on HP for 4K isn't bad.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the BS story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.” ― Jordan Belfort

The Daily Driven Warrior - A MSM Build Thread

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SM16RMSM For This Useful Post:

johnfett (10-28-2013),walsh5racer (10-28-2013)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Supercharger is best for daily driving? Why? They take power from the engine, they need constant tightening of belts, they are less efficient than a turbo (mpg wise)

I love boost and all, but I would rather have a turbo than my supercharger. I'm always fiddling with the damned thing. Then again, my SC is very old.
    A rotrex system is nice, don't get me wrong, but the power output isn't the same as a proper turbo.

To me its turbo > rotrex > Twin screw supercharger

If you can take the time to install a turbo correctly, you shouldn't have to touch it ever again. FM/Begi offer plenty of kits that should be easy to put together. If its too tough, go with a rotrex or twin screw SC. It is easier to install initially.

Weigh the pros and cons... and do some more reading. Reading is good.

Also check out the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/IHeartFlippyHeadlights !!! Its a facebook page dedicated to the awesomeness which is flippyheadlights! Not me, but the actual headlights! High time someone noticed how awesome these things are; check it out!

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    If you are comparing "KITS" then sure there are a lot of options, however not many in his 2-3K "budget"

Gavin, you bought a old "used" S/C kit that was missing pieces, what did you expect?. There is always going to be fix-it issues, Im quite sure if you had that bought that kit "As'New" in the box there would be zero problems with it. I have the same S/C on my car and never had an issue, however it was purchased new. Superchargers are VERY reliable, the worst that can happen is you break the belt at 80K miles or something, even still you can still drive the car with a busted S/C belt. They may not have excessive HP like a turbo. But the new Rotrex kits are right there, especially for the money!

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Don't get me wrong, I understand that my kit is old and WAS missing pieces. Fact is, many people have had problems with the M45. Belts break often, vacuum leaks are notorious, and they suck gas.

And you can't really compare your SC either. You drive your car how many times a month? I put 130 miles on my car in a day! I'm getting a good understanding for how SC's work in a daily driving situation.

*edit* the fiddling is mostly the belt and vacuum leaks. Otherwise the Supercharger is solid. You never really have to mess with the SC itself if you replace the oil and switch the coupler inside. Same can be said about a turbo and rotrex though...

Drives
    '99 Brilliant Black Turbo
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 698 Posts
    S/C's can also be more troublesome to get to idle correctly, especially with a lighter flywheel.

But before anyone should address what system to get, what have you done to prepare the car for more power? Is it time for any maintenance (timing belt, fuel filter, trans/diff fluid flush, etc.)? Is it leaking oil anywhere, front or rear main seals, etc.? Does it have a stronger clutch (not always necessary for your goals, but an older OEM isn't going to last long there)? Suspension? Brakes?

Do you live in a place where emissions requirements are in effect?
    I've got a lot less horsepower - luckily they are Japanese horses - usually in better shape and more motivated.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RotorNutFD3S For This Useful Post:

Dandy (10-29-2013),johnfett (10-28-2013)

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch
    Drives
    Silver NB '03 Miata
    Thanks Given
    thanks for response, guys. my car is just 40k miles, and i did all maintenance at 30k. I already lower and add gt3 roll bar,garage star fender brace, frame rail.., but under the hood is still stock. i did little bit research on rotrex. it seems like s/c is less maintenance , but it will suck more gas. Turbo is better in gas, but it is required more maintenance (turbo lag also). Is it right? how about n/a? I am a noob, so i want something simple that i can do and learn from it

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Ihatecars's Avatar
    Drives
    91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Get an itb setup.
    Ya know, cuz it's reasonable and all.

I know a guy with a ProCharged G8 that hadn't ever touched it since he put it on. He's making something like 800hp also. Its not a Miata, but and example of a an easily installed supercharger being relatively reliable.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    If you go with any type of supercharger, go rotrex. The twin screw stuff (m45 and m62) arent supported anymore.

But if you want 150whp, just do an intake, exhaust, and MS.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! psulja's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Twilight Blue/1991 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    Also, turbo lag won't be a thing with how small of a turbo you'll have if you're only aiming for 150whp. It really isn't a thing with my car and I'm somewhere around 230whp with a 2560.
    Paul | IG- @psulja
    Build thread:
    1991 Mariner Blue - Built 1.8 swap, EFR, Fab9Tuning, Tii drivetrain

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Turbo lag doesn't really exist anymore... I mean, unless you get a giant disco potato as a turbo.

Drives
    93 LE
    Thanks Given
    For $2995 the 2003-05 Voodoo turbo system is exactly in line with what you are looking for. 170hp rather than 150hp but I imagine you can live with that .

Once installed it should be pretty much a set it and forget it situation unless you choose to start tweaking things on your own. Your kit will be supported by a company that has been about performance for the Miata as long as Miatas have been in existence. There is a clear and well-proven upgrade path should you desire more power in the future.

I've been around Miatas for a long time and I can't tell you how many times I have read or heard the phrase "I should have started with the FM kit." Give FM a call or send an E-mail and start a dialogue and I don't think you will be disappointed.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dandy For This Useful Post:

Martin (10-29-2013),RotorNutFD3S (10-29-2013)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! miata2fast's Avatar
    Drives
    Black 95
    Thanks Given
    As a naturally aspirated enthusiast myself, I can say that a well prepped N/A car can be plenty fast and very reliable. The problem is that N/A cars with any appreciable power is pretty involved and can be quite expensive. If I were you, I would start with the things that has proven to work but allows you to be flexible if you are not sure which way to go. Start out with parts like a square top intake, MS, light flywheel/clutch, and rear exhaust. You may find that with those mods, you will be in the power you are looking for. However, if you find that it is not enough power, you can then go in any direction you want whether it is more involved N/A, turbo, or supercharging.

To really unlock N/A power involves going into the cylinder head and bumping up the compression. It can be intimidating for the beginner, and it is not cheap.
    95 in pieces, but good pieces.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to miata2fast For This Useful Post:

etikoner (02-16-2014),johnfett (10-30-2013),Phatmiata (10-29-2013),Slampen (10-29-2013),tsingson (10-30-2013)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast