Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Happy Birthday Yellow!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! xjdesertfox's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Black Base package.
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowYata View Post
    It's interesting the attitudes toward radar detectors, not just in here but in the USA generally. I've always appreciated having one but I've never once thought if it as a notorious device, used by scofflaws to shave a minute off drive times. Really, if anyone thinks they need one to get to work on time then that problem speaks more to their generally poor organisation.

Rather, I just want to know what's ahead if possible. Personally, I drive around the speed limit, usually below or a little above to keep pace with traffic but at my age (and today's my birthday - condolences appreciated), you'd never see me weaving in an out and trying to beat everyone to the red light and endangering everyone. I always wish there were a cop at that moment to get them off the road.

What happens instead, especially nowadays with strained budgets is that cops are going for the easy targets if you will, picking a stretch of road that the public typically drives at least 5 over to perform "emphasis" enforcement (read revenue stops).

I just want to know about those ahead of time, not because I was doing anything wrong but because I don't want to be the victim of political circumstance.
    This is exactly my feelings toward them.

I live next to the "118" freeway, on the way to my girlfriends house there is a large downhill portion about 2-3 miles long, at the bottom CHP hides behind a bush looking for people going ~80mph. My detector can alert me about a mile ahead of time.

I dont use the detector so I can speed, I use it as an added source of inforrmation.
    Follow me as I build a Canyon/Track car on a college budget. -----> CLICK ME

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xjdesertfox View Post
    I dont use the detector so I can speed, I use it as an added source of inforrmation.
    Exactly .... and Happy Birthday Yellow!

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Almost sounds like a nicer way of saying "I'm trying to not get caught speeding." Kinda like "We are looking for weapons of mass destruction." In reality "Ima take homeboy out that went after my pops." But I do know of a lot of people that do use them and have great success. My long drives always go through Virginia where you can't use them anyways.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power f86sabjf's Avatar
    Drives
    02nb crystal blue metallic
    Thanks Given
    yeah well Virgnia is a whole other ballgame. They arent anything but ticket writing revenue makers up there. I have a the right to defend myself this includes speeding tickets. So up there you have basically have no defense at all . The officers word agains yours. Thats bad mojo there.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Just so you guys know in a lot of states the radar gun must be reset between shots. Just sitting there with it on all the time aint good enough. You can request the logs of said officer and beat a ticket. Check your states for usability

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone SM16RMSM's Avatar
    Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    I have one but in honest opinion, even here in Florida, just drive like a white boy and you won't see a ticket. I learned the hard way. I don't speed that badly, usually 5 to 7 over. I got carried away and look down at the speed, 75 in a 50 zone . I was oh, need to slow down, and bamn, full Ka on my Vector 955. Next thing I know, I have a 129 dollar ticket and 4 points . That was Saturday going to work. I just wasn't watching my speed. The officer wrote it for 59 in 50 so it was somewhat of a break but I afraid of what the insurance will be. I don't how much it will go up. Plus, radar doesn't work when the Stalker Radar is turned off.

Oh, Happy Birthday YY
    Last edited by SM16RMSM; 07-11-2012 at 12:13 AM.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    I dont think it will go up at all unless you change ins companies. They are based more on credit scores than anything else nowadays. You might give the ticket clinic a call if its recent. They can help quite a bit .

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    That used to be the case. Now the insurance companies share a database, I believe. Last time I switched, I had forgotten about a claim my wife made for a minor fender bender (4/5 years ago). The new company found it and said it would affect our premiums for another 6 months.

The last speeding ticket I received, I hired a lawyer from solicitations I received literally a week after receiving it. It was 10-15 over. $250 for the lawyer and it was reduced to a $90 fine for "improper equipment", IIRC, and one year probation. No points. It was worth it.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 851 Posts
    KFJ, just keep in mind. Wake Co does not allow for "Improper Equipment" charges. I have a bogus 65-45 charge pending, that I am battling now.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I got that ticket in '05 heading to the mountains on I 40. The trooper herded 2 other cars onto the shoulder. Maybe the reduced fine was called something else?

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    I haven't been pulled over for anything since 07 when I was caught in a intersection behind a 88 sentra with the driver and passenger holding the plywood on the roof of the car going 15mph. And I was the one who got the ticket. Imagine that.....

Drives
    Grey NA Clubman
    Thanks Given
    Where I live You not allowed to have them. Evidently the police have some way of knowing that you have one, and if they detect it, they'll tear the car apart to find it. They usually set up on suburban roads, where the speed limit is too low for the conditions, and there's easy money to be made. Tasmania is a small island, with only 500K inhabitants, my car would soon attract their attention if I drove like a maniac, and a rep like that is hard to shake.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! ezmfne's Avatar
    Drives
    NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    I got a ticket a few years back and the radar detector never went off. When I went to fight it I was told the officer had "visually estimated my speed" and didn't use radar. I was told this is common training for police and was use able in court. Not sure if I believe him since he reduced it to a fine anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12