Thread: WTB: 97M Hardtop + Reward to finder

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    Several Miatas, a 69 GT500 Shelby
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    I understand, but I wanted to add a few things...

The tops were painted at the dealership when new, IIRC. GOOD paint will run you $600 + new seals + fixing any waves or cracks. That said, a padded, defroster unit should be around $1k.

Allow me to refine you answer a bit, all dealer installed 1990-1992 tops were shipped crated from the factory in RED, in 1993, the factory would, for a nominal fee, paint the top the color of the car, when the dealership ordered it by VIN. There was a 6-10 week lead time for this. At the same time, tops were shipped (from regional US based warehouses) either in primer, or in whatever color they had sitting in inventory for those ordering for customers who wanted them immediately. Lead time was cut down to 2-5 business days, but as already stated, those tops were painted to match (if need be) at the selling dealership (or their local paint shop under contract with the dealerships).

As an afterthought for the OP, have you contacted your local Mazda dealership to see if there are any NOS hardtops located in their parts system? Out of curiosity, and because we lost a set of stock mats for my wife's BRG, I called Rosenthal's Mazda in VA and they drop shipped me a set of NOS, in the box, factory replacements they found in their parts system for me. This was just last week..... Just a thought......

Bill S.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mrmustang For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (04-29-2014),kung fu jesus (04-28-2014),The Driver (04-28-2014),theothersawyer (04-28-2014),WASABI (04-28-2014)