Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: All new LED lighting with a little twist...

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Chops's Avatar
    Drives
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowYata View Post
    Looking good. You probably have the license plate bulbs in backward. LEDs are polarity dependent.
    Not for the licence plate bulbs. They only have the center contact on the bottom. The rest of the housing is the other part of the contact. It makes no sense. All of the other LED's work just fine, it's just these two that are DOA. Hmm...
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    2015 Fiat 500 Pop
    1991 "Tardis Blue" BRG #581 <- SOLD

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    Oh, sorry. I was thinking of the blade type on my NB. No worries though. Do a test on each bulb by running a pos and neg wire to the battery and then to the tip and barrel of the bulb. If it doesn't light up, switch the wiring to the tip and barrel. If it lights up then, you know it's good and that you'll have to change the wiring to the bulb sockets in your car.

I converted a trickle charger to be a 12v power supply for my bench. I always test new LED bulbs when I get them in just to know if they're defective.

*just a little clarification since I got asked. When I said run a positive and negative wire to the battery to test bulbs, I meant open the trunk, stand next to the battery and run a couple wires a couple feet long (like speaker wire). Don't have to get fancy here, you're just testing to see if a bulb works or not or which side is + and -
    Last edited by Agent☣Orange; 02-19-2012 at 10:05 AM.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! brownmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Red Turbo 91
    Thanks Given
    Sounds cool. I see cars all the time here in cali with these lights but usually they are little squares on the rear bumper. I always think that its a wiring flaw. What are they for? you say rear fog light? Is it to see the civic lights behind you. (sorry couldn't resist a honda pun)
    Because Racecar.

*_\Threw it on the ground/_*

Drives
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowYata View Post
    Oh, sorry. I was thinking of the blade type on my NB. No worries though. Do a test on each bulb by running a pos and neg wire to the battery and then to the tip and barrel of the bulb. If it doesn't light up, switch the wiring to the tip and barrel. If it lights up then, you know it's good and that you'll have to change the wiring to the bulb sockets in your car.

I converted a trickle charger to be a 12v power supply for my bench. I always test new LED bulbs when I get them in just to know if they're defective.
    I was just talking to my girlfriend about these LED's and was telling her that I was wondering if the polarity of the sockets were backwards for the LED's. I bet that's it and now you just posted pretty much the same thing I was thinking. LOL

Maybe I'll see if I can test this theory out tomorrow. I'd really like to get these going.
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    2015 Fiat 500 Pop

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    In other parts of the world, cars come equipped with rear fog lights (a single red light not a pair of bright white or amber lights we refer to as fog lights here).

They are either integrated into the left or right side tail lights (UK vs Euro spec) or what looks like an aftermarket, squarish, rectangular or round red light under the bumper to one side.

Drives
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by brownmiata View Post
    Sounds cool. I see cars all the time here in cali with these lights but usually they are little squares on the rear bumper. I always think that its a wiring flaw. What are they for? you say rear fog light? Is it to see the civic lights behind you. (sorry couldn't resist a honda pun)
    It's exactly what it says it is, a rear fog light. These originated in Europe and Asia where there's a LOT of fog on the roads. Heavy thick fog. It just helps people behind you see your car sooner than they would with their own headlights glaring back on themselves, or your much dimmer rear parking lights.
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    2015 Fiat 500 Pop

Drives
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    Thanks Given
    When I was sitting in my girlfriend's office parking lot waiting on her to get out of work, I turned the key onto the ignition position and put the car in reverse. That red LED in the left backup light works perfectly and is just the right intensity for a rear fog light. I can't wait to get it wired up properly this weekend.
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    2015 Fiat 500 Pop

Idling - Listen to it purr... ChrisSWT's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Please show us how you wired the rear fog light. i always wanted one but dont know where to start --'

Drives
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisSWT View Post
    Please show us how you wired the rear fog light. i always wanted one but dont know where to start --'
    All I did was buy a super bright red LED to replace the regular clear bulb in the left backup light. What I haven't done yet (but will this weekend) is tap into the parking light circuit and use that to feed the fog light LED. The right backup light still functions as the backup light. I'll eventually run a pair of wires up to the dash to a switch that I can use to turn off the fog light if I want, though I won't be in any big hurry to do so.

It's a very simple procedure to do.
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    2015 Fiat 500 Pop

Drives
    1993-LE Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 523 Posts
    Where did you source the LED lights for your project? I've been wanting to do this for a while.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Thanks Given
    Reading comprehension FTW...

@Chops, looking good man!

Drives
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Where did you source the LED lights for your project? I've been wanting to do this for a while.
    Hey John, I bought the LEDs from superbrightleds.com.

On a side note, I also did the blinker relay mod today during my lunch break, which involved replacing the stock 5.6k ohm resistor with a 1meg ohm resistor. Both are 1/4 watt. Works like a charm!
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    2015 Fiat 500 Pop

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power imperfekt's Avatar
    Drives
    Supercharged 94 PC
    Thanks Given
    i like the fog light... but with my luck, a cop would see the extra light on the driver's side, proceed to pull me over and tell me part of my passenger's tail light wasn't working, and then write me a ticket... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Just for fun, I was looking around on CR.net and found that member "VincentMiata" did the same thing to his NA. Except he used a dual color LED, white for reverse and red for fog. Judging from the pic, it looks like the rear fog idea might actually work pretty good. Of course, cameras can lie.

Attachment 1894

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Saw it tonight when he swung by the house after work, they're pretty damn bright!! I want to upgrade all my lights to LED now! Nice job!

Drives
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by IanL View Post
    Reading comprehension FTW...

@Chops, looking good man!
    Thank you Ian!

Quote Originally Posted by imperfekt View Post
    i like the fog light... but with my luck, a cop would see the extra light on the driver's side, proceed to pull me over and tell me part of my passenger's tail light wasn't working, and then write me a ticket... lol
    I doubt that would happen. At least, I hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    Saw it tonight when he swung by the house after work, they're pretty damn bright!! I want to upgrade all my lights to LED now! Nice job!
    Thanks bro! The BRG is a slow, on going project, but it'll be up there one day. I'm gonna see if I can get the rest of the LEDs (the license plate and fog light) wired up tomorrow morning before I go into work. It shouldn't take that long to do.
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    2015 Fiat 500 Pop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast