Thread: 1990 NA Caliper Options

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    Red 1990
    Thanks Given

Question 1990 NA Caliper Options

Are there any replacement 2 piston calipers for the earlier NA's that will fit under daisy wheels? I've been searching and can find plenty of kits without calipers, but none with. The big brake options from various sources are for 94 and later, and most require 15" wheels. I need to do them all around, and so why not upgrade if I can. Anyone got any thoughts? Thanks zz03

EDIT: Since posting this I've found so much on the subject, but most posts 5+ yo, so still wondering if there's newer product. Sounds like 2 piston calipers are overkill for street use in any case, so maybe just do the rotors pads and lines and clean up the stock calipers and get on with my life!
    Last edited by Zigzag03; 11-02-2017 at 12:30 PM.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    https://v8roadsters.com/product/front-big-brake-kit/

doubt it will fit under daisys though

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! DarylSibcy's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 1990 Miata w/ITBs ;)
    Thanks Given
    Most BBK's are built for fat 15" wheels and for track use. 949/Supermiata especially...

One option that will work with the stock 14" daisies is upgrading to 1.8 calipers and rotors, the 1.8L cars after '94 had slightly beefier brakes, helped to offset the slightly heavier curb weight.

Other than that if you've got the money, try Flyin' Miata's Little Big Brake Kit, fits under every OEM 14" wheel BUT the stock daises unfortunately.

If the daises are a must, go for the 1.8 brakes, the difference will be subtle, but peace of mind that you have a bit more stopping power than normal.

Unsprung weight will go up a lb or 2 per corner though, it's a tradeoff
    You want a good car. I want a good miata.

Drives
    Red 1990
    Thanks Given
    Thanks you guys, I'm not tracking this car, and I don't really want to bend up the backing plates, so I think a set of nice rotors and good pads, fresh brake lines and fluid, and a couple of caliper kits to freshen the seals, and I'll have all the brakes I'll likely need. There is so much out there on the subject but it seems there's not a lot to gain in a street application to even going up to the 1.8 stuff. Need to get it done before Thanksgiving, because the Miata club local here is going up with other clubs to the Turkey Trot at Sebring on the Saturday after the holiday, and I want to join the Miata parade lap just to say I've lapped the place, other than in sim racing. We've been going to the 12hr for several years now as well, it's sorta our home track down thisaway. Thanks again for your input. zz03

EDIT: Daryl at the risk of showing what a complete idiot I am, what are ITBs??

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Slampen's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 BRG 1.8
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigzag03 View Post
    what are ITBs??

Sound of it are pure sex.

Video here => https://www.facebook.com/SPSMotorspo...7053240682755/

Buy it here => http://rev9autosport.com/jenvey-indi...-irtb-kit.html

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Parade laps don’t need brake upgrades.

Drives
    Red 1990 Miata w/ITBs ;)
    Thanks Given
    Daryl at the risk of showing what a complete idiot I am, what are ITBs??
    Individual Throttle Bodies, most cars have an intake manifold and one large single throttle body, the throttle pedal controls the cable that pulls the butterfly open.

On our cars, rather than all four cylinders sharing the same throttle body, each cylinder gets it's own individual throttle body, butterfly and intake tube (better known as an air horn or velocity stack).

The design of these throttle bodies is exactly the same, it just does away with factory intake manifolds (which are usually welded roughly, matched poorly and rough on the inside, usually for the sake of time and cost for mass production. More exotic cars like the old Skyline GTR has ITB's from the factory, it'll be ITB's that partly contribute to the engine being able to rev up to 9000rpm and not choke.

Miata's are quite "choked" in this sense, above 5-6k rpm an engine will struggle to breathe, i.e. shift an acceptable air-to-fuel ratio to operate safely. More air going in means more fuel can go in, meaning bigger boom, meaning more power. Mostly they're used for sharper throttle response, flattening the powerband and sounding awesome.

Here's mine
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2QKlRUWNQQ
    Last edited by DarylSibcy; 11-03-2017 at 03:47 PM.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DarylSibcy For This Useful Post:

HarryB (11-03-2017),oldgrayleather (11-04-2017),Paul B (11-03-2017),RustRat (11-03-2017),Zigzag03 (11-04-2017)

Drives
    Red 1990
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    Parade laps don’t need brake upgrades.
    I think that's what I said, appreciate you stating the obvious...

Drives
    Red 1990
    Thanks Given
    Re ITBs. presumably they would be most optimized with some freer flowing exhaust too. I'm not going to go that far with this little daily driver. Down here in the land of stop lights there's little chance of even finding a road with curves! Thanks Daryl.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I think that's what I said, appreciate you stating the obvious...
    You’re welcome. ;)

Good luck!

Drives
    Red 1990 Miata w/ITBs ;)
    Thanks Given
    Re ITBs. presumably they would be most optimized with some freer flowing exhaust too. I'm not going to go that far with this little daily driver. Down here in the land of stop lights there's little chance of even finding a road with curves! Thanks Daryl.
    Both the intake and exhaust have their role to play, the exhaust is more restrictive though. Changing the whole exhaust won't fix the intake or vice-versa. You're just constantly having to replace the next most restrictive part of the "system" (shall we call it) when chasing N/A power.

You have to get used to chasing 1-2hp when N/A, unlike boosted setups that's can see +50hp from just a remap or from swapping a pulley.

I have nothing but corners where I live, so a turbo would be useless here