View Poll Results: Should Mazda have taken the Retro design route for the ND MX-5?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Retro all the way

6 20.69%
  • Present design, they say you can't go back

21 72.41%
  • Maybe they could have designed something better

2 6.90%

Thread: Poll: Should Mazda have taken the Retro design route for the ND MX-5?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    There was the Ibuki concept in the early/mid '00s that demonstrated Mazda considered retro styling for the NC.

0311_ibuki_m3.jpg

Design has so many subjective and objective constraints that the styling is really sort of the easy/fun part. I think of the NC as a late bloomer. Its not a horrible car, just too much of a departure from the previous two generations that people dismissed it too readily. It also shared the RX8 platform, which was also a departure. The NC Miata is much like the 996 Porsche 911. Purists hated the car and Porsche designed it to share many other parts and components with other cars in their product lineup. It lost some of it's uniqueness, but helped save the company from collapse. As the NC evolved through a few styling updates, and mechanical improvements, I started to appreciate it more. I am especially fond of the NC3s. I "get it" now.

Mazda was torn between distinctly different consumer bases with the Miata after the NC came out. It saw the fans of the older models, mostly younger drivers, and the fans of the newer model (NC) and they were older drivers. How do please both groups when you want to draw the younger drivers to buying the new one without alienating the other? Add in a global financial crisis, slumping sales, segment market competition, and a huge, upcoming generation emerging as dominant consumers, it's a minefield.

Every marque has models that are controversial. The Porsche example, BMW breaking new ground with their "flame surfacing" design language, even Mercedes is altering their language, where all three are typically more evolutionary in their model progression, versus revolutionary. I think if you look at Mazda products as a whole, among the generations, the ND fits the family of products as closely as the NB did for it's time (look at the MX6, 929, RX-7), but the Miata has never set the language for them, it's not their top line car. The NB follows the design of the previous mentioned cars, and the ND is following a similar path, though in short order.

The interior of the ND is really quite good, but it frustrates me that Mazda is so conservative with it in terms of material, colors, and finishes. It BEGS to be bold, but it's quite reserved. It's either for cost, or conservation. They need the ND to be successful for the model to continue. I suspect they may open it up a bit if it is. For now, they are relying on their engine technology and success of other models (CX lineup, Mazda 3 & 6) to carry them through. The Miata is a small segment car that just happens to sell well because of it's formula.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (12-27-2017),DarylSibcy (12-27-2017),MX5Wisher (12-29-2017),RustRat (12-27-2017)