Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about cam shafts

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch djsqiigles's Avatar
    Drives
    a Red NB
    Thanks Given

Tell me about cam shafts

Well more specifically, what are our options?

Looking to hear about others experiences with aftermarket cam shafts, I have a 1999 NB so that's more what i'd like to hear about.

What companies, prices, other parts required for install, power gained, that kinda crap, tell me bros/broetts!

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone DK Wolf's Avatar
    Drives
    MR.net Ball Breaker
    Thanks Given
    I used to be interested in cams.. interest dropped as soon as I realize the cost vs benefit of them in a miata. It's garbage.

A lot of guys get them to sound cooler, however you will spend a good chunk of money making everything reliable, tuning, and you'll get almost nothing in power to show for it. Some of the serious guys might throw in a mild cam to move the power band a little on some FI engines.. however that can usually be achieved with tuning in itself.

You have TODA cams which are the best choice for most Miatas out here in Japistan (I've seen a few)
    http://www.todaracingusa.com/catalog...?idCategory=91
    This is roughly what it sounds like.. brappy

then you have the classic HKS cams which seem to be more popular stateside
    http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/h...3-p-30045.html

Next you have the holy grail of miata racing cams in the Maruha cams (they came out with monster sizes)
    http://miataroadster.com/maruha_moto...s/g-66153.aspx

Theres a few other brands I might be forgetting, but these are the big three. I wouldn't really bother with other lesser known brands.

M.net guys also get custom made cams.
    1994 Mazda Miata, 1992 Mazda Miata Sold, 1995 Mazda Rx7 (500hp) Sold, 1999 Subaru GC8 (310hp) Sold

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Pfunk's Avatar
    Drives
    '98 NB
    Thanks Given
    Maruha are actually Tomei cams, and Tomei come in a variety of flavors. http://www.tomei-p.co.jp/_2003web-ca...ct_nb8_en.html

That said, for the model I listed DK is correct in that you don't get much bang for the buck (or yen). Tomei's run ~1500$ with the SUB conversion they require and you would see 10hp or so for that without any other mods. They are not very lumpy, though, are non-interference still, and give OEM-like smooth idling, with power on top. As part of a complete, well-thought-out build, though, they are worth it, IMO.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Web Cam
    http://www.webcamshafts.com/index_bl...le_search.html

The issues associated with aftermarket cams you may run into are based on your budget and intention. Lift and duration OK with OEM setup vrs uprated springs, retainers and shims. Streetability vs all-out performance is another consideration. You will also find a LOT of guys with cams will not disclose their specs. They have spent a lot of money to develop the power from them, so they aren't likely to give up that information readily. Cams, of course are all about airflow, so to get the most from them, there is associated headwork to have done (port, polish, matching, de-shrouding, bench flowing, etc). The cheapest way to make gains from cams is to look at what is available through interchangeability. Also, there is the VVT heads from the '01+ which have adjustability on the intake side. A VVT controller from Megasquirt is a nice, cheap standalone solution to retrofit that head onto earlier engines and chassis. I have seen and driven a VVT BP motor maximized for torque with this system and it is really pretty cool.

The best compliment to go with cams, is through the head work. You can also shave the head to increase the compression. I never changed the cams in my B6, but the headwork and compression bump made it extremely healthy.

Is this response too vague, Paul(djsquigz)?

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    I believe that there is evidence that using a late NB intake cam on the exhaust side makes power, isn't this right?
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone wannafbody's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Lots of people use the exhaust cam from a 1.8 as an intake cam and make a few HP.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    I believe that there is evidence that using a late NB intake cam on the exhaust side makes power, isn't this right?
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Lots of people use the exhaust cam from a 1.8 as an intake cam and make a few HP.
    Oh, so I had it back wards. Thanks for correcting me.
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

Drives
    a Red NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanks for the answers DK and everybody.

Do most aftermarket cams require a more built head? Differnt springs and machine work? Solid lifters?

Drives
    MR.net Ball Breaker
    Thanks Given
    Most cams will require hundreds in head work. They need a lot of supporting mods to function effectively. Larger cams wont be compatible with the hydraulic lifter system so you'll need to swap to solid lifters
    1994 Mazda Miata, 1992 Mazda Miata Sold, 1995 Mazda Rx7 (500hp) Sold, 1999 Subaru GC8 (310hp) Sold

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Paul, your NB already has solid lifters. Switching them and the springs out depends on the lift and duration you plan to run. Most "street" cams don't. Headwork, an ECU, adjustable cams, and dyno tuning would be needed to get the most out of them. Cams can be, but aren't really, a bolt-in-and-hang-on affair. By comparison, a VVT head and controller can yield some impressive gains, especially in the area of usable torque. Should also mention, extreme cams can make it hard to pass smog.

With the NB1 engine, keeping CA regs in mind, you can get some nice bump by shaving the head, adding the MS cam, EUDM square top mani, '01 header, or JDM/EUDM OE header, and larger midpipe and exhaust.

My '99 is a CA emissions car. Simply adding an '01 header, 2.25" mid and RB exhaust uncorked it considerably.

friend of mine in ATL did an NB1 engine swap in an NA. Using a Mega squirt + square top + header/exhaust, he dynoed 140-145hp.

Drives
    a Red NB
    Thanks Given
    yeah I was thinking pretty much of doing all of that same crap. Thanks Kungfu you rule.

Drives
    MR.net Ball Breaker
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    Paul, your NB already has solid lifters. Switching them and the springs out depends on the lift and duration you plan to run. Most "street" cams don't. Headwork, an ECU, adjustable cams, and dyno tuning would be needed to get the most out of them. Cams can be, but aren't really, a bolt-in-and-hang-on affair. By comparison, a VVT head and controller can yield some impressive gains, especially in the area of usable torque. Should also mention, extreme cams can make it hard to pass smog.

With the NB1 engine, keeping CA regs in mind, you can get some nice bump by shaving the head, adding the MS cam, EUDM square top mani, '01 header, or JDM/EUDM OE header, and larger midpipe and exhaust.

My '99 is a CA emissions car. Simply adding an '01 header, 2.25" mid and RB exhaust uncorked it considerably.

friend of mine in ATL did an NB1 engine swap in an NA. Using a Mega squirt + square top + header/exhaust, he dynoed 140-145hp.
    Holy crap, that's quite a bit of power.

You'd make a fat chunk more with a decent blower or hell, just keep it the way it is for some serious autox fun...... damn my goal is 150hp or so for my miatachallenge car... hopefully the boost of a maxim header will get me closer for cheaper than most people.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    NASA Miata PTE/PTC guys in CA are seeing 140-160 on the VVt motors with mods mentioned above and a standalone + good tuning. They choose to run as a dyno class to open their options (cars are dyno'd before the race, winners after again).

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by djsqiigles View Post
    yeah I was thinking pretty much of doing all of that same crap. Thanks Kungfu you rule.
    Hugs and French kisses back at you, sugahbuns.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    FWIW, I attached an EUDM and USDM OEM exhaust manifold from an '01+.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast