Thread: NB aftermarket amp location?

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts

NB aftermarket amp location?

I am installing an amp in my NB. I am thinking of mounting it behind the passenger seat, on the rear bulkhead.

I am think of a couple of ways to do this:

1 - use a substrate (wood or plastic) and mount the amp to that, so the carpet on the rear bulkhead is sandwiched between the amp and the substrate. I think I can counted sink machine screws from the back side of the substrate, then use nuts to attach the amp. I will glue the substrate to the metal of the bulkhead. Alternatively, I could use velcro (heavy duty) to attach the substrate to the bulkhead.

2 - drill pilot holes into the rear bulkhead and use self-tapping sheet metal screws to attach the amp to the bulkhead. Maybe I can hit the areas where the screws come though with undercoating?

I don't want to mount the amp in the tunnels, I plan to install a rollbar and don't think the amp will fit in there anyways. Under the seat is another option, but I worry about moisture and heat.

I don't think I want to mount it in the trunk for moisture reasons and the space it may eat up.

Anyone else mount an amp in the location I am thinking of? How did you mount yours?

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone SM16RMSM's Avatar
    Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    I always considered mounting an amp either in the trunk or behind the passenger seat. I leaning toward behind the seat but I have to see what kind of room there is in that general area. I don't want to drill a hole and put a hole in the gas tank.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the BS story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.” ― Jordan Belfort

The Daily Driven Warrior - A MSM Build Thread

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    An amp behind the passenger seat is a good choice. It's close to the battery for cable run and accessible for fine tuning. Just be careful not to mount too thick of a board as it may push the amp into the seat and you really want a little gap for cooling.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    My thoughts exactly. The power and speaker outs will point towards the bottom, run through a small slit in the carpet near the amp. Likewise for the top where the RCA plugs will come in. I think if I mount it about 2-3 inches from the floor, the seat might not even touch it. I have to double check. I mounted the amp in my NA there, but it wasn't executed as clean as I hoped. I sort of rushed it.

Mounting the amp there makes wiring it simpler because of the proximity to the battery and the center console for running wires forward. I used small small slits in the carpet under the console of my NA to organize and ziptie the wires to it. I am thinking of mounting a small USB hub in the NB storage of the center console from the back of the HU so different phone chargers and such can be plugged in there.

Thanks Given

Thanks Given
    Found an old amp install picture not that it's needed here but thought I'd post it anyway.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    God, I hope we meet for beers one day. We should be on the same bowling team.

How did you mount those? with a substrate or directly to the hull? I have that same Alpine amp for the Mule (DD RSX), but it won't fit under the seat. I'll probably put it in the e30 and get an Xplod slimline for it.

The amp I bought for the NC is this one Looks smaller than both of those.

Thanks Given
    Haha, that would be great! I mounted right to the hull and there's two layers of Fatmat you don't see. The passenger side is a fantastic Alpine PDX F6 (150W RMS X4) about three inches off the floor for easy cable running and keep it dry if I ever had a rain rail problem that flooded the floor. I didn't have to cut any slits in the carpet for this particular install.

I chose my amp because I had four speakers but if I were to do just two, I'd go with the amp you chose. Your Polk is super, super nice! Tiny, powerful and elegant.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

Tristan75 (10-08-2016)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Did you just cover the amps with the carpet then? If so, any concerns about heat build up for the amps?

Thanks Given
    No carpet, just left them as is and put the seats back in. The passenger seat has a built in stop for some reason and I just adjusted the seatbacks so they didn't touch the amps. They stayed pretty cool, especially the F6 which is all digital.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanks!

I took the stop out of the passenger side. It's just a little metal tab. I can't remember if I did the same on the driver's side. If I didn't, I will.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch curvingedge's Avatar
    Drives
    Mazdaspeed3
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowYata View Post
    Found an old amp install picture not that it's needed here but thought I'd post it anyway.

Where in the world did you get the rear parcel shelf? I need this. Looks like it fits 8 inch speakers/subs!?

Thanks Given
    That is a Clearwater parcel shelf, originally designed to house 6" woofers.