Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY Soundproofing/ Vibration damping / Heat management for Mazda Miata

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch Radiohead's Avatar
    Drives
    Chaste White 99'
    Thanks Given

DIY Soundproofing/ Vibration damping / Heat management for Mazda Miata

After reading a thread by Minuteman from the Gearheads website, I have been inspired to begin soundproofing my interior. I am starting in the tub behind the seats. First step was to remove the carpeting by popping out all the clips that hold it in place. They all come off pretty easily although you may have to massage one or two to fully cooperate.
    Once all the clips are out, CAREFULLY remove the carpet along with the rubber mat and rock wool insulation. Mazda used a very sticky glue to hold it all together and it's wet to the touch. You do not want this goo going everywhere! Since I will be reusing my carpet, I will be cleaning all that glue off the backside. Once you have this all removed you can begin to clean the tub area. Here are some pics of mine:

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    99' White Miata

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Radiohead For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (09-02-2013)

Drives
    Chaste White 99'
    Thanks Given
    There was one surprise that was unexpected, the mounting plate on the drivers side looks to be RUSTED OUT! There is also a rust spot on the vertical tubing as well. Take a look:

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

So now I have to find out if this salvageable or do I have to purchase a replacement. Either way, I have hit my first setback.
    99' White Miata

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone mini_fd's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Black Miata
    Thanks Given
    I was very interested and now reading the second post i want to say ouch on that set.back. Its a good thing you were rummaging around on this project and found something potentially hazardous. Good find but bad.luck. Hope you can take it to.a shop and fix it.

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    Aww noooo! You're going to have to pull out the bar and fix that rust, maybe even have a couple plates welded. That's an important structural point. Well, at least you caught it at this point instead of much worse.

Drives
    Chaste White 99'
    Thanks Given
    I'm getting with a buddy of mine to see if it's salvageable. Worst case scenario is I have to replace it. Either way the project will continue. Next step will be posted once I get this sorted out.
    99' White Miata

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    You might have a look at your rain rail while you're in there. It's probably leaking and caused this.

Drives
    Chaste White 99'
    Thanks Given
    I had my top replaced a couple of years ago and it came with a new rain rail. They did say that the drains were completely blocked. Perhaps that was a contributing factor as well. The original install of the roll bar was over 10 years ago. It was at one of the first tech sessions that the club had.
    99' White Miata

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    wow that is a lot of rust! how long has that bar been in there? im guessing that is caused by rain getting in there. Maybe take it to the shop Jeff is working with "Sinister Kustoms" and see if they can weld in some good metal?

GearheadsMiataClub.net Events Manager minuteman048's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Emerald Green Mica
    Thanks Given
    Glad you caught that before it got even worse. Time to nip that in the bud, Budd. Im flattered that I inspired that project and the pay off is that you discovered the damage. I had one small rusted galvanized plate up on the deck I replaced. I will be doing a fuel pump swap out soon and see if things are still dry since I did that project. Never had any water in the trunk or interior but moisture did get to that panel which I replaced with a new one.

I currently have a style bar which does double duty as a rear shock tower brace. Plan on putting in a real roll bar next year and will be extra diligent on preventing rust. You guys that have older installs on roll bars should check your rides out also.

Do you park it in a garage or leave it outside?

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any assistance.
    Last edited by minuteman048; 07-23-2013 at 09:18 AM.
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

Dawn Patrol - Tally-Ho!

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 851 Posts
    So, setting the cancer aside, what are your plans for insulation?

Last year, I helped a friend line his wife's mx5 with "Reflectix" on the floor and transmission tunnel. The material is like a thick, metallic bubble wrap. It cut down on the internal cabin temps by quite a bit, but didn't do much for noise. My other concern with it is that if the cabin gets wet the plastic might not be breathable enough to dry properly.

Drives
    Chaste White 99'
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    wow that is a lot of rust! how long has that bar been in there?
    See the post right above yours. lol

I already have a call into Jeff!
    99' White Miata

Drives
    Chaste White 99'
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by minuteman048 View Post
    Glad you caught that before it got even worse. Time to nip that in the bud, Budd. Im flattered that I inspired that project and the pay off is that you discovered the damage. I had one small rusted galvanized plate up on the deck I replaced. I will be doing a fuel pump swap out soon and see if things are still dry since I did that project. Never had any water in the trunk or interior but moisture did get to that panel which I replaced with a new one.

I currently have a style bar which does double duty as a rear shock tower brace. Plan on putting in a real roll bar next year and will be extra diligent on preventing rust. You guys that have older installs on roll bars should check your rides out also.

Do you park it in a garage or leave it outside?

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any assistance.
    She has always been parked under the carport. Thanks! Im glad i decided to do this or i never would have known what going on back there with the roll bar. After reading thru your thread I had a pretty good idea on how to proceed. I will say this though, I hope my completed job looks half as good as yours! You were meticulous and it shows in all your pics!
    99' White Miata

Drives
    Chaste White 99'
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon I Am View Post
    So, setting the cancer aside, what are your plans for insulation?

Last year, I helped a friend line his wife's mx5 with "Reflectix" on the floor and transmission tunnel. The material is like a thick, metallic bubble wrap. It cut down on the internal cabin temps by quite a bit, but didn't do much for noise. My other concern with it is that if the cabin gets wet the plastic might not be breathable enough to dry properly.
    Reflectix is good stuff! YellowYata endorses it! I'll be using it as well in my cabin.
    99' White Miata

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    I'm no metallurgist but just wondering if maybe the two metals contacting each other combined with rain helped speed up the rust process?

Maybe put some thin rubber gasket between the plates when you go to re-install all of these parts?

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 851 Posts
    I sprayed the aluminum panels on both sides with ruberized undercoating/sound deadener from 3m, then used some thin stick-on foam to make a gasket, like Phat was suggesting

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast