Thread: RacingBeat springs for 96 miata thumbs down

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BoBo's Avatar
    Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given

RacingBeat springs for 96 miata thumbs down

I should have read the reviews on this before buying it, I made a mistake. I bought these a while back and this is by far the worst springs I ever experienced. First of all, the RB springs does not have enough spring rate for the drop. My tires would rub on the fender during not so fast cornering. I was afraid to even drive hard on these springs. My tires would even hit the fender liner if there was any kind of pothole on the road. Racing-Beat has good quality parts but not when it comes to the springs. I sold it for a really low price to some guy who wanted it real bad.

08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Tuned/Track Prepared
    04 Z4 2.5 M Sport Package
    01 SLK 230 Kompressor AMG Sport Package

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! cbaylis77's Avatar
    Drives
    Black 1999
    Thanks Given
    Sorry about your bad experience.
    Thanks for the review though.
    Miata family: '93 auto "Blacky", '99 turbo "Frankenstein" and '05 Mazdaspeed.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone SM16RMSM's Avatar
    Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    I'm shocked. I thought they had good products.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the BS story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.” ― Jordan Belfort

The Daily Driven Warrior - A MSM Build Thread

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,354 Posts
    In my opinion those springs are the only bad part in their lineup.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! CMP's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Crystal White
    Thanks Given
    Just curious, what shocks were you running with these?

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by CMP View Post
    It really doesn't matter, they are lower than stock, but with similar rates. It's almost like cutting factory springs. They are too short and too soft, which as some of you know is a bad combination...
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    I had a set of RB springs with KYB shocks on Bucky, my NB2. Drove like that for about 24000 including a trip to Indy and back (26 hours in one long stint.) I fond them to be very comfortable. Not very good on the track, but they didn't rub. The ride was quite soft until you got into the bump stops. No tire rubbing. It really was a great budget suspension. I couldn't have driven over 24 hours at a time with them if they weren't pretty comfy.

I wonder if you had the right springs? I got mine used from an NB1 owner who didn't like them. I inspected the part number and found them to be NB2 springs according to their catalog. No idea what the difference was, but they worked decently in my experience. Very similar to OEM, just lower. And, well, with less shock travel.

I'd never suggest anyone buy lowering springs for a Miata. Matched coilovers are so cheap now days. But really, my RB experience was decent.

Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by cbaylis77 View Post
    Sorry about your bad experience.
    Thanks for the review though.
    No problem, I just want to give the word out, so people don't waste there money on this.

Quote Originally Posted by SM16RMSM View Post
    I'm shocked. I thought they had good products.
    They have great products, but I would exclude the springs. My tires put holes on my fender liners and cracked my fender paint during mountain runs. I will post picks later.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    +1 I had rb headers and intake and other suspension parts before and they are top quality.

Quote Originally Posted by CMP View Post
    I was running Koni strt new, bought the same time as the springs. The back suspension was fine, only the front tires were rubbing.

Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by revlimiter View Post
    I had a set of RB springs with KYB shocks on Bucky, my NB2. Drove like that for about 24000 including a trip to Indy and back (26 hours in one long stint.) I fond them to be very comfortable. Not very good on the track, but they didn't rub. The ride was quite soft until you got into the bump stops. No tire rubbing. It really was a great budget suspension. I couldn't have driven over 24 hours at a time with them if they weren't pretty comfy.

I wonder if you had the right springs? I got mine used from an NB1 owner who didn't like them. I inspected the part number and found them to be NB2 springs according to their catalog. No idea what the difference was, but they worked decently in my experience. Very similar to OEM, just lower. And, well, with less shock travel.

I'd never suggest anyone buy lowering springs for a Miata. Matched coilovers are so cheap now days. But really, my RB experience was decent.
    I ordered mine from GWR for the 96 miata. However, I just check their website and they now only sell the 99-00 & 01-05. I'm assuming they stopped selling springs for the NA. I'm pretty sure I bought the right springs, I match the part # with my receipt. I know FM makes good lowering springs, they have pretty decent spring rates. I was gonna buy coil overs, but I had to pay for school tuition. For now I'm pretty happy with my Bilstein HD and oem springs. I don't get fender rubs unless I corner extra hard. My next suspension will be the V-maxx, if I ever blow my shocks.