Thread: 1st time Star Smog check on my 1990 Miata

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    1990 Miata
    Thanks Given

1st time Star Smog check on my 1990 Miata

Hello! My 1990 miata is due for a Start smog check later this month. Currently I have a Raceland headers in my car. I also believe that my O2 sensor may need to be replaced as well

My question is, Will replacing my header to an OEM (as well as gaskets) and O2 sensor enough for me to pass the Star smog check?

I have a limited budget at the moment but I'm also looking at the Jackson racing headers as well to prevent future headaches.

Is there any tips you guys can give a newb car guy?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by MrPoy; 09-06-2014 at 05:13 PM.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I can't give you any definitive answers without seeing the test numbers.

There ARE somethings that help, but you may still fail anyways. Headers don't cause an issue unless the inspector notices they aren't OE nor CARB cerified. Often, a tech has no idea what the car should look like under the hood, so it's a crap shoot.

Some things that can help with your emissions are a fresh tune up and oil change. This means spark plugs, plug wires, air filter, PCV valve. Driving the car at freeway speed for 30-45 minutes also helps heat up the cat to work better, just don't shut it off when you arrive at the test facility.

IF your O2 sensor is bad, your cat most likely will be too. It's a circle of components and systems that can cause each other to degrade and lead to failing smog. If your coils are weak, you will get a lot of unburned fuel heading through your exhaust. This can weaken the effectiveness of the O2 and add more particulates through your cat, plugging it up.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

lowandrusty (09-11-2014),MrPoy (09-06-2014)

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    1990 Miata
    Thanks Given
    I see. Thanks for the tips KFJ. Will do the regular maintenance for now as well as the O2 sensor when my package comes. Crossing my fingers that the inspector don't look at my headers.