Thread: Been selected for a track day, need advice.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    Drives
    Classic Red 1989
    Thanks Given
    They're not going to just throw you, someone they don't know and probably assume has little or no experience (a fact that you should make sure they are aware of just in case), out onto a fast and dangerous racetrack and tell you to "go fast".

Odds are, they'll probably be walking you through some training throughout the day, starting with car control in an autocross environment, and working up to the full race track. And then when they finally do put you on the race track, you'll start out with an instructor present in the car at least until they're sure you're not going to crash their car and/or kill yourself.

Best advice, as others have said: be humble. Take any instruction offered. ASK for instruction. (Again, I expect that's going to be a big part of their plan, anyway) Never drive beyond your abilities. If you "win", great. If not, you'll still have FUN, and that's the point.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch Oldekamp's Avatar
    Drives
    a '91 Silverstone Miata
    Thanks Given
    FUN is exactly how I would describe my experience today. The car we drove was a 1.4l VW Golf 7..

I was the youngest of the 6 contestants, 1 of which was a female racing driver, another guy was working at BMW/Mini, the other contestants I do not know the background of. That being said, I got nervous. Very nervous. Which 20-year-old little shit could possible take up a licensed racing driver?

At first, we did an AutoX course on dry tarmac. We got 2 test laps, and the 3rd would be our final lap and setting our times. Then, we did a slippery course over a snow-like substance. 1 test lap, 2nd lap for setting the time. Then, we did a braking-in-the-wet test, making sure to stop exactly inside of the box without hitting the cones on the front of the box. Lastly, we did an evasive manoeuvre test (also 'moose test') on wet slippery tarmac.

I thought I did okay, but I was pretty sure I wasn't the fastest. I saw a lot of room for improvement on my autox lap, and I just hoped I just wasn't in the last place.

Needless to say, I put down the fastest lap times on both timed courses, and the evasive manoeuvre test was 'performed excellently'.
    Eyes on the prize:

I took home a goodie bag, and a fuel station debit card with 1250 euros on it!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oldekamp For This Useful Post:

etikoner (12-10-2014),KAL (09-23-2014),The Driver (12-10-2014)