Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jaredef's White Roadster

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Thanks Given

jaredef's White Roadster

So I thought it was about time I started a build thread somewhere on the interwebs.

Back in February 2011, I was perusing craigslist for a daily driver. I was in too much of a hurry to buy car, a mistake I wont make again soon. I would have settled for some crapped out vw jetta; I'm glad I came across an add for a miata instead. I paid 2400 for an 89 NA with 178k on the ticker. I knew nothing about these cars.

When I got it, it looked like this.

Overall not in bad shape. No rust and a mostly straight body. The factory red had been repainted (not very well) in a pearl white, which I have a love hate relationship with. Washing and waxing it the first time, I discovered where the paint had runs and blemishes. I decided quite early on that I would repaint it someday.

First to go had to be those terrible chromed daisies. Inspired by adam's sharka, I pulled the trigger on some 14x7 +28 RPF1's.

Not too soon after I decided I needed some racingbeat sways. Looking back now, I should have bought decent coilovers first, but live and learn I suppose.

I had transformed it into a race car and decided it was about time I showed everybody at the autocross up. Turns out m+s tires on blown shocks arent the best combo for autocross. lol.

I guess its not a good drifting combo either. The boy racer in me couldnt handle the massive amount power under my right foot and I oversteered into a curb, in the wet, at the local highschool parking lot.

Bought another. Drained of cash, the next mod was some plastidip'd wheels. I wish I hadn't.

Photoshopped some low on. ^

Summer was fun in this car.

Next came some white surrounds. I wish I hadn't.

A month later, I decided I needed to indiscriminately waste some money, and decided to buy another RPF1.

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousOne
    Our Father, who art in autos. Hollowed be thy frame. Thy horsepower Come, Thy torque be fun, in imports as in domestics. Give us this day our daily fuel and forgive us our hooning as we forgive those that hoon against us. And lead us not into Rice, but deliver us from Chrome accents. For thine is the Cam, The Piston, and The Rod, Forever and ever (or until they break). Amen.

Thanks Given
    Almost a year after buying the car, I had had enough of blown shocks; I started collecting.

In a month or so I had attained Koni Sport shocks, Eibach pro kit lowering springs, and Fat Cat Motorsport shock mounts, and prothane poly bushings.

It was time for the install.

Projects strewn about

rears first.

i lost one of the shock mount stud nuts down inside there, that sucked. Also found a hand lotion packet stuffed down there.

Spindle bushing out! I love and hate this tool.

The rears are done, off to do the fronts.

I used the long bolt method to get the shock out. I know why they call it the long bolt.

Despite giving all the bolts a liberal dose of penetrating oil, I still had to use the beatle head.

Why we call it the beatle head.

I didnt want to mess with ball joints. Has anyone else done it like this?

Front bushings in!

All buttoned up.

While I was in there I also did like stormin norman and put some washers in between the swaybar bracket and frame. Worked like a charm.

I was able to do both fronts and rears in 20 hours total, ya seems like a long time, I had hell with some of the bushings.

The next day I went and got it aligned. They were able to get the rear end to -2 degrees camber, no toe. Front is -1.2 degrees and 1/32 toe each side, caster 5.1 degrees. I'm happy with the handling. There is a bit more road noise with the bushings but nothing terrible. These springs seem to work well, a lot of people hate them, I dont know why. They are not nearly as soft as people make them out to be, its definitely a stiff ride, but the konis and FCM mounts sop up the sharp impacts really well.

Photo shoot to come.
    Our Father, who art in autos. Hollowed be thy frame. Thy horsepower Come, Thy torque be fun, in imports as in domestics. Give us this day our daily fuel and forgive us our hooning as we forgive those that hoon against us. And lead us not into Rice, but deliver us from Chrome accents. For thine is the Cam, The Piston, and The Rod, Forever and ever (or until they break). Amen.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! iamdallas's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Ahhh, I need 14 RPF1s.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! jesseshoots's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    The 14's look way better than the 15's. Especially in white

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch SISKO's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    i got the same wheels but in 19 offset going on my car soon as soon as i decide on rubber lol! and those are 185 60 correct?

rpfs look good in white by the way!!!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Maikeru's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Nice car. You should paint those surrounds back to black though. lol

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Conundrum's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    I agree with Maikeru. Nice progress so far.

I need to install my damn bushings...im slaking.
    We're here for a good time, not for a long time.
    91 NA6 - Tein Flex - Single Diagonal Roll Bar by Moti - Roadstersport 3 Exhaust - XXR 513 - Yokohama S Drive - more stuff

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! stormin'norman's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Just fyi the front lower control arms are easily removed without touching ball joints. ;) Good stuff except I don't agree with painting the wheels or headlight bezels white. Keep it up!

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by stormin'norman View Post
    Just fyi the front lower control arms are easily removed without touching ball joints. ;) Good stuff except I don't agree with painting the wheels or headlight bezels white. Keep it up!
    Ya, I just didnt feel like pulling them off. The headlight surrounds and wheels are going back to normal before too long.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! sss1987's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    How you finding the handling on the koni/eibachs? What perch setting you using bud?

Thanks Given
    Thanks for all the compliments!

Quote Originally Posted by sss1987 View Post
    How you finding the handling on the koni/eibachs? What perch setting you using bud?
    The perch is on the middle snap ring groove. I havent spent any time screwing with the shock adjustments but I am happy with the performance so far. I've heard a lot about these springs being too soft for the amount of lowering they give, but I dont think i've been on the bumps once yet, its not a bad setup for a daily but the car comes alive in the twisties now. I take an uphill road with some tricky off camber corners and mid turn bumps, it use to be kinda scary with the old blown setup, not confidence inspiring. I find myself comfortable taking the corners 10mph faster now. I am quite impressed.

Anywho, some photos from last night.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Benbrg's Avatar
    Drives
    BRG 91
    Thanks Given
    Looks clean. A front lip would set it off
    100% BRG 0% Primer

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Benbrg View Post
    Looks clean. A front lip would set it off
    Thanks! Thats the plan.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone etikoner's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    So jelly of your RPF1's.
    I agree with everyone about the headlight surrounds, and adding a lip would be excellent

Cool car, stop drifting into curbs please

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Thanks Given
    There are only few white Miatas i like. Yours is one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast