Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB: NA Miata Hardtop

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Imontalto's Avatar
    Drives
    93 Brilliant Black Miata
    Thanks Given

WTB: NA Miata Hardtop

I figure this is a bit of a long shot, but I'm looking to buy a hardtop for my 93 Miata. Preferably black, but it can be any color.

Drives
    93 Brilliant Black Miata
    Thanks Given
    I was on the fence about the first one, but I don't want to drop $500 on what could turn out to be a money pit :/ I'm trying to find one under $1000. I found one, but it's in Alabama. Debating on making the drive.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    The biggest aids to help finding a hardtop is to have the cash you need available, a feasible range you are willing to travel, and a group of friends or network in the outer limits of your range to buy and secure the top if you can't. They sell fast, especially good ones, and those under $1000. So if you waiver, it is gone quickly.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Imontalto (01-06-2015)

Drives
    1994 and 1996
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 443 Posts

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    The biggest aids to help finding a hardtop is to have the cash you need available, a feasible range you are willing to travel, and a group of friends or network in the outer limits of your range to buy and secure the top if you can't. They sell fast, especially good ones, and those under $1000. So if you waiver, it is gone quickly.
    Yeap! I bought mine, in Denver (while still living in Tulsa), simply out of shear luck. I drove my 4WD truck, for what was supposed to have been a romantic skiing getaway, with an ex gf. She bailed out on the trip (and me), I still went skiing, and Skip Cannon told me about a friend of his, who had an exact match of a hardtop (96 Montego), for my car. I could not even afford it, so the guy gave me 4 months to pay it off! Had I flown to CO, as opposed to drive, I would not have been able to buy it!
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

Drives
    93 Brilliant Black Miata
    Thanks Given
    I'm going to take a look at the hardtop without a window after work today. If I can get him down to at least $450, I'll take it home and start working on it. It all depends on the condition it's in. The problem is that I would have to pay with a credit card if it costed any more than $500, and you're a bit hard pressed to find someone on craigslist that can take credit. I made the mistake of missing out on the one in Alabama. It was in great shape and was only $750

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    Black 1992
    Thanks Given
    Have one that was on a 1992 Miata, brilliant black Mazda factory, glass window with rear heating defog elements, with movable hardtop carrier with wheels and nylon cover. Have NOT decided to sell for sure (long story) and haven't checked to find what they go for used (all anyone needs is install brackets for their year car- Planet Miata and others sell). Lot would depend on where someone is located. Closest 'big' city is Ocala, Florida ....... davzway

Drives
    93 Brilliant Black Miata
    Thanks Given
    So, I drove over to Waxhaw to look at that top and ended up leaving with it for the price of $430 and a six pack of Stella. It's going to require a fair amount of work, but at least I'm on my way to having the hardtop that I've been wanting for the past since-I-got-the-car.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Imontalto For This Useful Post:

Dandy (01-07-2015)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Not bad. Replacement glass is still available as are the seals. There are also a few aftermarket rear windows that are plastic, including one of our sponsors, Project G.

I think because you want it to be black, the best course of action is to paint it before installing the glass, or install the glass and wrap it in vinyl. Good luck! Start a thread about how you plan to refurb it!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

atank (01-09-2015),Imontalto (01-07-2015)

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Hardtop Build thread for Sure!!!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atank For This Useful Post:

Imontalto (01-07-2015),kung fu jesus (01-07-2015)

Drives
    93 Brilliant Black Miata
    Thanks Given
    I will definitely throw all of that on my build thread! I almost can't wait to get home from work and start to work on it. I'm definitely going to go the paint it before getting the window route. And I'm almost considering doing the painting myself, or at least prepping so that I don't have to pay $400 to have it done. I've heard that safelite can order and replace the glass for $300. But I kinda want to go the Project G vented rear window route. I'm still unsure of where it will end up though. You guys know the feeling of getting a new project and wanting to do 30 different things, I'm sure haha.

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    I like the PG vented rear window route!!!!!!!

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power JLBMX5's Avatar
    Drives
    Red '93 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Damn i saw this alittle late. Yesterday i saw a hardtop in raleigh that needed some work but it atleast has a rear window for 400.00

Drives
    93 Brilliant Black Miata
    Thanks Given
    It's all good. I kinda figure that I got lucky wi the lack of a window. That means that it should be a little less to get it painted, and I don't have to swap out the window for the project g window. The only question now, is where can I go to get a good paint job that isn't more than I paid for the top

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast