Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help on 45-80 MPH shaky problem.....

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Hmmmm...I am curious if the car was in an accident, enough to bend some steering geometry or suspension components.

Are the shocks blown?

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mx54life View Post
    This was an existing issue (before the add-ons) ...............
    I am wondering if maybe the chassis was tweaked from the prior owner being in an accident that may have damaged the frame?

With all those mods not getting rid of that shake there must be something else going on.

Did you ever run a carfax on it to see any accidents? Sometimes you can find info on there, sometimes you can't, if the car was taken to dealer for repair or insurance claim it will show, however if taken to a private shop those guys are not required to report damages.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power iRoadster's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    The mention of checking the rear wheel bearings made me think of something that I've recently noticed on my car.

Maybe it's something similar, but I whacked my right rear wheel on a curb a few years ago. An alignment revealed that after a certain point of trying to reduce the camber made it toe really badly. It can still be evened out with the other side just fine, but I can only get down to -1.3 degrees of camber on the back because of it. Alignment guy suggested that maybe the knuckle is messed up. The rear bearings are overdue to be replaced, the right side one especially.

Just south of Olympia, I5 jumps up to a delightful 70. I drove down to Chehalis about a week ago and noticed a strong vibration around 70-80.

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    Honestly, any shake in that great of range is a serious condition. First ensure the tires are balanced. I paid over $100 for a Hunter balance and it was a 4-hour ordeal rotating tires on the wheels 180 and even swapping a couple tires and wheels (225s on 9" wheels to be fair). That finally cured my 68-70 shimmy. A Miata can shake in the 30s and 70s but to shake the entire 40-80 range means something else is wrong IMO.

No todo que es oro brilla.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

BoBo (01-14-2015)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BoBo's Avatar
    Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    OP, are you talking about the steering wheel vibrating, or the front end shaking? I never had any shimmy issue with my miata, but it's common for the pillars to shake without a hardtop. If the front-end of your car is shaking, you might want to check your rubber bushings if it's worn...But wait, you did mention you have polyurethane bushings, that's probably the culprit. Those things vibrate a lot, at-least in my experienced on my third MR2 Turbo. I had the polyurethane from suspension to engine mounts, everything vibrated even the dashboard LoL.
    08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Tuned/Track Prepared
    04 Z4 2.5 M Sport Package
    01 SLK 230 Kompressor AMG Sport Package

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BoBo's Avatar
    Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    Honestly, any shake in that great of range is a serious condition. First ensure the tires are balanced. I paid over $100 for a Hunter balance and it was a 4-hour ordeal rotating tires on the wheels 180 and even swapping a couple tires and wheels (225s on 9" wheels to be fair). That finally cured my 68-70 shimmy. A Miata can shake in the 30s and 70s but to shake the entire 40-80 range means something else is wrong IMO.
    +1 on the Hunter wheel balancing. I think it was the Hunter 9700 that cured my old Bimmer from shimmies. I was gonna mention that but I have a feeling something else is wrong with OP's car.
    08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Tuned/Track Prepared
    04 Z4 2.5 M Sport Package
    01 SLK 230 Kompressor AMG Sport Package

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power mx54life's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by BoBo View Post
    OP, are you talking about the steering wheel vibrating, or the front end shaking? I never had any shimmy issue with my miata, but it's common for the pillars to shake without a hardtop. If the front-end of your car is shaking, you might want to check your rubber bushings if it's worn...But wait, you did mention you have polyurethane bushings, that's probably the culprit. Those things vibrate a lot, at-least in my experienced on my third MR2 Turbo. I had the polyurethane from suspension to engine mounts, everything vibrated even the dashboard LoL.
    Yeah just the steering wheel vibrating. I will rotate the tires and have them balanced with the "Hunter 9700". Thanks again guys.

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    Well, fill us in later. It seems like your problem is more than a tire balance issue but if a precision balance cures it then good news.

No todo que es oro brilla.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12