Thread: Analysis of compression test results

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Benbrg's Avatar
    Drives
    BRG 91
    Thanks Given

Analysis of compression test results

Was looking for a second opinion for the results of a compression test for my 96 1.8. Had it sitting on the side of my house under cover since last April with the intention of swapping it into my Miata. The engine was very healthy while running in my now departed 96. Ran a compression test and the results came as follows:

4-145
    3-130
    2-135
    1-160

None of the numbers are that low, but the spread worries me. A friend suggested that I need a new head gasket? So I am looking for a second opinion on whether these numbers are an issue and if so, what might be the cause for the spread. Thanks in advance, and forgive me for my engine troubleshooting incompetence.
    100% BRG 0% Primer

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Compression tests only tell you part of the story. A leakdown will tell you where the engine is losing compression. Redoing the comp test with a little but of oil added to each cylinder before testing them also help you narrow down the issues. A new HG won't help if the rings or valves are letting air through.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Benbrg (02-02-2015)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Satisaii's Avatar
    Drives
    2020 Polymetal GT
    Thanks Given
    We go through a few engines here and I don't think I have seen one with compression numbers that low. At 175 cold, we would consider putting it in and retesting hot. That might be worth the hours of labor it would take to test it. Less than that and it is going to Mike Keegan for a rebuild. And yet, even with low compression, it probably ran fine and felt decent.

But I agree with KFJ. Do a leakdown. Borrow another compression tool and retest. Or test yours on a known good car.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Satisaii For This Useful Post:

Benbrg (02-02-2015),kung fu jesus (02-02-2015)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Benbrg's Avatar
    Drives
    BRG 91
    Thanks Given
    Thanks guys. Definitely gonna do a leakdown.
    100% BRG 0% Primer

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    1990 white, manual, stock
    Thanks Given
    It I read correctly, this engine has not been run since last April? That makes it very difficult to take any compression readings seriously. Compression should be tested at operating temperature. A little rust on cylinder walls or valve seats may make a big difference in compression, but that might all clear out after it has run a few minutes.
    The numbers themselves look crappy, you could consider pulling the head and having valves ground, but that is not a whole lot harder to do after it is installed. If I were you, I would gamble on it since it ran good last year. Install it, run it a bit and take another compression test.
    Doug L
    Shiawassee County Michigan
    White NA 90, stock
    59 Fiat 1100
    78 Jaguar XJ-S

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tacky For This Useful Post:

Johnnie (02-07-2015)