Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What aftermarket gauges should I run?

Drives
    Grey NA Clubman
    Thanks Given

What aftermarket gauges should I run?

Been considering obtaining one of these Zoom tombstones. It's nice that they come in all trim colours, so they blend in nicely with a Nakamae vintage console, as seen in the red and black interior above.

They come with the option of either two or three gauge holes near the top. So what gauges should I put in there? I really have no idea. I had a car years ago with three accessory gauges. It had temp, oil and vacuum. I know I probably dont need a vacuum gauge, and I already have oil and temp. What else is there? Letting my imagination go a bit, I was thinking about having three clocks with Paris, London and Tokyo time. That's about how much knowledge I have on this.
    So, what type of function gauges should I use?

And what brand would look nice in an Mx-5?
    Chrome outer rings would match nicely with the KGW gauge panel.
    Can RevLimiter match some (any) brands of aftermarket gauges to his custom Miata gauge faces?
    Thanks for any help.

Drives
    Grey NA Clubman
    Thanks Given
    I have just been lurking on RevLimiter's site and have partially answered my own question.
    He is able to do classy custom faces for AEM brand gauges as shown in this pic I've just nicked from his site.

Image credit: RevLimiter

Looking at them I guess I could use the Volts and maybe oil temp, although I'm not sure what use oil temp would be. Is AFR something you would want on an almost stock motor?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Malibu Q For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (03-08-2015)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Pfunk's Avatar
    Drives
    '98 NB
    Thanks Given
    Does your '91 have proper oil pressure and water temp gauges, without damping that severely limit the indicated range? If so, volts and oil temp would be common additions. Oil temp is useful to compare with oil pressure, and gives you an indication of when it is warm enough to rev the motor. In summer it's good to keep an eye on the temps since you don't want to cook the oil, something that the OPG would not indicate. If you intend to run an aftermarket ECU at some point an AFR gauge wouldn't be a bad idea. If not, another gauge to consider is water pressure, although a warning light might be just as functional. If you want a third face for balance/aesthetic reasons, a clock would be OK. In any case, would you be having Rev make you matching faces to replace the OEM ones, so you have a complete "set"?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pfunk For This Useful Post:

Malibu Q (03-08-2015)

Drives
    '98 NB
    Thanks Given
    Of course, you're hearing from a guy whose NB gauge panels resemble a WWII fighter plane cockpit. I like keeping tabs on the motor.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pfunk For This Useful Post:

Malibu Q (03-08-2015)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    I didn't even know Revlimiter had those? Wow

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power mx54life's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    I am finishing up my set-up at the moment. Just recieved my custom Version 1001 cluster gauge from Revlimiter which was made to blend with my Autometer Sport-Comp series gauges i.e. Wideband, Boost and Volt. I also ordered the Zoom console and their holes accepts the 52 mm or the equivalent 2 1/16" guages. I will post pics when I get my KG meter panel. I would imagine you can make these holes bigger especially if you select the 2 holes center panel.

I have ask Adam regarding custom faces for aftermarket gauges so far he can only do the AEM as this is the only one that can be opened without being ruined.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mx54life For This Useful Post:

Malibu Q (03-08-2015)

Drives
    Classic Red '91
    Thanks Given
    There are a few who has done some cool things in the upper spot Malibu, some small screens and switches etc, you will need to search here, cr and minkara or someone else might have the photos at hand!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Vegard For This Useful Post:

Malibu Q (03-08-2015)

Drives
    Grey NA Clubman
    Thanks Given
    Its for my 93 Pitcrew build Pfunk. It has the proper oil gauge, not the switch.

I think I prefer three traditional gauges Vegard. No screens or switches for me.

Not so fond of the AEM gauges now I've had a closer look. The surrounds look very thick and are only flat black or silver. No chrome.
    I quite like the look of these Smiths gauges. These are the sort of style I'm thinking of.

Smiths don't have an AFR meter.
    Which is better. Amps or volts?

Edit, they don't look very matching though. The fonts etc. are slightly different across these gauges. Didn't notice until I posted them together.
    Last edited by Malibu Q; 03-08-2015 at 08:16 AM.

Drives
    Classic Red '91
    Thanks Given
    I think this one is running something similar. It looks good:

His profile on minkara: http://minkara.carview.co.jp/en/user...4/profile.aspx

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vegard For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (03-08-2015),HarryB (10-30-2017),Malibu Q (03-08-2015),Phatmiata (03-08-2015)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power mx54life's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    If font matching is important to you as it does to me, search the aftermarket gauge that you like make sure they are 52 mm or 2 1/16" size and they have all the gauges you need in same series so the font and design matches then ask Adam to match the fonts of your aftermarket gauges against the design you like.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mx54life For This Useful Post:

Malibu Q (03-08-2015)

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    ^ Yup. Much easier to match the OEM-size gauge faces to a set of aftermarket 52mm dials than it is to hack open a 52mm dial and make it seal correctly again. I can make a set of dials to match just about anything, but most 52mm gauges get ruined when you try to open them up.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to revlimiter For This Useful Post:

Malibu Q (03-08-2015)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Dave737's Avatar
    Drives
    '91 Miata
    Thanks Given

Cool

image.jpg

I just installed the Smiths flight series gauges a couple of days ago. I really like the way they look and they match Rev's Warbird cauges. The clock has a wired remote button to set the time. I installed that next to the starter/cigarette lighter. When the volts and oil temperature are powered as the ignition is turned on the needles swing the full range simultaneously.
    The only problem I had was wiring up the dimmer function. They look great at night however when I turn the dimmer full bright the Smith gauges go dim and when I turn the dimmer full dim them the Smiths go full bright. So I have the dimmer set in the middle and everything is even. I'm no electrician so you may have better luck with that than I did.

image.jpg

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave737 For This Useful Post:

Malibu Q (03-09-2015)

Drives
    '98 NB
    Thanks Given
    http://www.speedhut.com/gauges/

Have you considered these? They're what I bought after a fair bit of research. You have a selection of bezels, faces, and they even do custom work. The gauges open easily, so swapping out faces is no big deal.

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pfunk For This Useful Post:

91BRG (03-10-2015),Agent☣Orange (03-09-2015),HarryB (10-30-2017),Malibu Q (03-09-2015),Phatmiata (03-08-2015),Slampen (03-09-2015)

Drives
    '98 NB
    Thanks Given
    When I bought them, I replaced all the gauges and added others. The speedo is neat--you can calibrate it when you buy new tires so speedometer error is removed. I have a set of silver bezels and white faces for them all, too.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Pfunk For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (03-08-2015)

Drives
    '98 NB
    Thanks Given
    Oh, and they have built in programmable warning lights.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pfunk For This Useful Post:

Malibu Q (03-09-2015),Phatmiata (03-08-2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast