Thread: GripROYAL custom steering wheel reviews

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power ChrisJuliano's Avatar
    Thanks Given

GripROYAL custom steering wheel reviews

Hello, I have been wanting a GripROYAL.com steering wheel for a while and finally jumped the gun and ordered a NRG slim hub and a white with black center wheel (with royal etched in it). I have been talking to GripROYAL for a while and the customer service was so awesome that I decided I would buy a wheel off of them. Shipping was very fast everything was packed well and they even remembered to put in extra stickers in my favorite color that I asked for!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002620626612
    www.GripROYAL.com

Initial impressions:
    Quality was great, very sturdy, paint appeared to be great and I wanted to get it in as fast as possible! Installation was pretty basic, just like installing any other wheel and the NRG hub was awesome, very slim so with a quick release it would be absolutely perfect with this deep dish wheel.

Finished thoughts:

Love this wheel, absolutely awesome looking, sturdy, and the customer service is AWESOME.
    Pictures:

Heres a review on the new leather wheel.

First off, I noticed this wheel seems to be a little more flimsy than the older wheel the other you couldnt really find any flex in the wheel but in this leather wrapped wheel it has a LITTLE bit of flex, now before you say I wouldnt buy this wheel, in all honesty its not bad at all its not noticeable when driving, and I gaurentee I wont notice it when my track my car. But its worth noting.

Now the quality of the wheel is awesome, the feel is great. stitching seems solid but dosnt look to be the best, I took some close up pics of it for you to make your own decision. Its what I would expect in a ~$150 wheel. I LOVE this wheel and it feels great! I am very happy with it and glad to say its a much better experience than my first wheel from them which was a defected wheel.

I would like to say that grip royal handled my defected wheel with such great customer service that it blew me away. Since it is my daily driver wheel they sent out the replacement first and let me send my wheel after I installed the new one! Now onto the pics:]

Overall its a great looking wheel as you can see.

As you can see the stitching is good, but in some areas dosnt look like it would hold up to years of hard use.

The texture of the leather is awesome! Feels great in your hands!

The center is great, the stitches around the 3 "spokes" arnt the best and thats the only area on the wheel where I was not impressed with.

I love this wheel in my car

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch Itsaparty's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    if anyone is wondering... these wheels are wood underneath it all.
    looks good man.

Thanks Given
    Yeah the painted ones are wood, I am not to sure if these ones are wood aswell can u confirm that?

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! blu92's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Didn't even take the bike out for the shot..lol I think i might get the black leather one with the brushed finish.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch Itsaparty's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    can't really confirm that one. but basically they're all the same wheels from the start.
    they're just blasted with different colors or wrapped in leather.

so the odds of your new wheel being wood should be pretty high.

Drives
    90 NA6
    Thanks Given
    I don't understand, are people saying that the wheel being made out of wood is a good thing or a bad thing? Does it have anything underneath the wood, like a metal hoop?

I really like both the red leather one and the white one. With my last Miata, I had two NRG quick releases with my red Momo Mod 78 on one and my black one on the other and I enjoyed being able to choose which wheel to drive with every morning. I would LOVE to be able to do the same with a Royal Woodie and a Royal Veo.

And on the BMX note, I used to do that all the time to get my bike to the park haha.
    Boss Performance Shift Knobs!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

adamvanxxx: I just realized the S in your logo is a header.
    hippari: my mind is so blown right now.

Thanks Given
    Yeah bike stayed in cuz it was close to raining and I had a 15 min drive, we got like super bad winds and branches were flying all over and it was raining so hard I couldnt even see wipers on full blast haha top down

And wood wheels arnt bad at all, I dont think its a negative thing to have a wooden wheel alot of "jdm" wheels are wood I dont think they are prefered for track cars though (could be wrong maybe they are acceptable for a track car) but they are actually very durable. I dont know if there is any metal support in it soeone will have to answer that for you but it would make sense that it has one.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Caoboy's Avatar
    Drives
    a miata
    Thanks Given
    The reviews I keep hearing for these wheels is great. I'm torn with saving a bit of money with the Royal Class, or a Mod 78.

Thanks Given
    I like the class, its very classy and simple!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Caoboy's Avatar
    Drives
    a miata
    Thanks Given
    It's a classy ass wheel. I think leather will be easier to live with every day rather than suede, but damn the Mod 78 is dope.

Thanks Given
    I dont like suede gets filthy to easy:[

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! friday's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    The only thing I dont like is the leather looks kinda lumpy and bunched up in some areas. Looks like it would be too soft.

Thanks Given
    Its not noticable when your driving, and dosnt bother me much at all in all honesty.The leather is actually really nice its not to soft and sqooshy and its not to hard and shitty feeling. I am sure its cheap quality leather but I really like it.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power atlnb's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    They certainly look nice. And with the prices they're asking, I wouldn't complain. I like the different color options they have too.
    Xida CS | Hard Dog | Corn*s | Bride | Joyfast | Carbing | Beatrush | 6UL | KG Works | Square-Top Manifold | BP5A Cam | Daily/CSP build