Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: M2-1002 Cluster Fiddle

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! MikeA's Avatar
    Drives
    Sunlight Silver '05 MSM
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu Q View Post
    I wonder why you want to alter your stock Mx-5 harness to fit an M2 plug. Think about altering the M2 harness to fit Mx-5 dash plugs. It would make it easier to transfer to another car later, if desired.
    I wasn't looking to replace the existing plug on the vehicle loom, but rather piggy back the Tyco connector with the two standard connectors. If I could find the corresponding plugs for the standard connectors, I'd make an adaptor cable with them and the Tyco cable. That's first prize for me. Make sense?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeA For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (04-17-2015)

Drives
    Grey NA Clubman
    Thanks Given
    Yes, a connecting harness makes a lot of sense. Good idea.

Drives
    Sunlight Silver '05 MSM
    Thanks Given
    Slow progress and still no response from the local Tyco agents re the connector so I'll go direct to the source.

I also spent a couple of hours cleaning off most the nasty stickiness and separating the harness from the gauges themselves.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeA For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (04-27-2015),Rogue (04-26-2015),Vegard (04-26-2015),vote4pedro (04-26-2015)

Drives
    Sunlight Silver '05 MSM
    Thanks Given
    Next move was to liberate the gauges from the cluster and to get into the speedo to either restore or replace the gauge face that had been modified during it's stay in the UK.

The gauge bezel is crimp fitted to the gauge and there was evidence of the previous efforts to get it off. Two small flat screwdrivers and a few toothpicks eventually got the bezel off but it was quite stubborn. Luckily any marking or damage to the gauge body or bezel is well hidden during normal use fitment.

The conversion to MPH can be seen more clearly in the pics below. I'm not even sure where to start trying to clean this up so I'm not going to rush anything here before I give it some thought. Any input would be most welcome.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeA For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (04-27-2015)

Drives
    Sunlight Silver '05 MSM
    Thanks Given
    You'll see in the photo below that the MPH conversion cut another gauge face and attached it to the M2 face with what I presume is cyanoacrylate. Those bits are not coming off in a hurry. Also interesting for me was that the splined shaft for the needle and not just a pin.

I suspect it's time to start talking to Adam about some replica faces for speedo and tacho. I'd do both to get a good match.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeA For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (04-27-2015)

Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,435 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Thank you for posting so much detail and detailed photos! This will make me consider a 1001 cluster in the future, since they don't seem as daunting as previously thought. Do you think nail polish remover on a q-tip would damage the cluster? Maybe you can test an inconspicuous spot. I'm thinking the only areas it would harm is the white portions where the speeds are placed over the 80 and 100 marks, but it should help to pull those glued on pieces off.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power MLambert19's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 LS3 R.I.P. 1990 Donor Chassis in Progress!
    Thanks Given
    I'm wondering, with it popped open and easy access... are you planning on re-setting the mileage to match your actual mileage, or re-setting it to "0"?

This is really neat, I look forward to seeing progress, and hope it all works out!

-Matt

Drives
    Sunlight Silver '05 MSM
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by fwdtamiya View Post
    Thank you for posting so much detail and detailed photos! This will make me consider a 1001 cluster in the future, since they don't seem as daunting as previously thought. Do you think nail polish remover on a q-tip would damage the cluster? Maybe you can test an inconspicuous spot. I'm thinking the only areas it would harm is the white portions where the speeds are placed over the 80 and 100 marks, but it should help to pull those glued on pieces off.
    My pleasure fwdtamiya. Hopefully someone can benefit from this thread in the future. I'm not sure what nail polish remover would do but I am still considering having a go at cleaning it up, as in my opinion, the face is not worth anything as it is. I'd still like to get Adam to fabricate a set of replacement speedo and tacho faces anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MLambert19 View Post
    I'm wondering, with it popped open and easy access... are you planning on re-setting the mileage to match your actual mileage, or re-setting it to "0"?

This is really neat, I look forward to seeing progress, and hope it all works out!

-Matt
    Thanks Matt, I'm sure it will. Yep, I'll match the mileage to the original cluster.

We have a vehicle "Warrant of Fitness" system in NZ which is a regular check that your vehicle meets required safety standards, at the time of inspection. By default your mileage is recorded and tracked at each WoF inspection, and the info is available to Joe Public. It's quite handy when looking to buy a pre-loved vehicle.

Drives
    1994 and 1996
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 443 Posts
    I can tell you from personal experience that you cannot do a thing with the speedo. Gauge faces are painted such a flat color that they show everything from skin oil to that gloss black paint (obviously). Adam is your best bet to make another set of gauge faces - to make sure they all match. I think he can do speedo calibration too?

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    wow why did someone do all that mess? Such a shame, pretty sure you cannot clean that up, I recommend sending them to Adam at Revlimiter.net and ask for a reproduction of them. If anyone can make it whole again its him.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given
    The original font is no great cop, so probably improved if you just change it and get away from the Times New Roman font Mazda used. It was a pain in the royal having to drive in a MPH country with a KPH speedo.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to roadsternut For This Useful Post:

etikoner (05-01-2015)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power MLambert19's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 LS3 R.I.P. 1990 Donor Chassis in Progress!
    Thanks Given
    If Adam gets his hands on them and converts to MPH... he'll have a template for if anyone else ever finds a set to convert... WIN-WIN!

Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,435 Times in 1,506 Posts
    To convert he'd have to do some real work. The scale on my AWD gauges is not the same as my OEM gauges. 100kph ≠ 62mph. Although looking at the original hack job it might be accurate?
    Last edited by fwdtamiya; 04-29-2015 at 08:30 PM.

Drives
    Grey NA Clubman
    Thanks Given
    Surely Mike won't want to convert to m/h though, New Zealand is km/h.
    Roadsternut, if you want some m/h faces, I'm sure Mike would trade

Drives
    Sunlight Silver '05 MSM
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by vote4pedro View Post
    I can tell you from personal experience that you cannot do a thing with the speedo. Gauge faces are painted such a flat color that they show everything from skin oil to that gloss black paint (obviously). Adam is your best bet to make another set of gauge faces - to make sure they all match. I think he can do speedo calibration too?
    The more I look at it, the more I agree. I did want to save/restore as much as I could, but I don't think there is a chance with the converted face.

Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    wow why did someone do all that mess? Such a shame, pretty sure you cannot clean that up, I recommend sending them to Adam at Revlimiter.net and ask for a reproduction of them. If anyone can make it whole again its him.
    Agree, and have been in contact.

Quote Originally Posted by roadsternut View Post
    The original font is no great cop, so probably improved if you just change it and get away from the Times New Roman font Mazda used. It was a pain in the royal having to drive in a MPH country with a KPH speedo.
    Is that in a 1002 and is it yours roadsternut? I can only sympathise about the pain it must cause and recommend you strip the cluster immediately and send me that face. I'll replace it with a magnificent set of Revlimiter faces.

Quote Originally Posted by MLambert19 View Post
    If Adam gets his hands on them and converts to MPH... he'll have a template for if anyone else ever finds a set to convert... WIN-WIN!
    True, and that's great.

Quote Originally Posted by fwdtamiya View Post
    To convert he'd have to do some real work. The scale on my AWD gauges is not the same as my OEM gauges. 100kph ≠ 62mph. Although looking at the original hack job it might be accurate?
    Happy to scan teh face and post it if you think that would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu Q View Post
    Surely Mike won't want to convert to m/h though, New Zealand is km/h.
    Roadsternut, if you want some m/h faces, I'm sure Mike would trade
    I would most certainly be happy to help out by taking the KPH face over .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast