Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What is the name of your Miata?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone TNRooster3's Avatar
    Drives
    chaste White, 1996 R2-Limited Eunos Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Why Lola, is there a story behind the name?

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! CMP's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Crystal White
    Thanks Given
    Not any more than being named after the lead character in the movie I linked. She runs. It's that simple.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CMP For This Useful Post:

TNRooster3 (06-25-2015)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by CMP View Post
    Not any more than being named after the lead character in the movie I linked. She runs. It's that simple.
    Didn't see the link- that's cool. THX

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Slipstreem's Avatar
    Drives
    Touka (1993)
    Thanks Given
    Surprised this doesn't have a lot more replies. Thought i would chime in.

My naming of cars began about 9 years ago (ugh time flies) when I had my Z31 300zx. I named him Demon because he was aggressive. Loud but quite. Seen but unseen. There was just an air within his chassis that was quite... demonic. I strongly believed Demon had a mind of his own. But, why "he"? I never thought of genders for cars. In fact kinda I thought it was a little weird to refer a car to he/she. Until one day my at the time girlfriend and I went to Sears to look at rims for Demon. As I was talking to the associate he asked if he could check out Demon. While he was walking around he kept saying things like she this and she that. When I started Demon to leave Sears that 3.0 NA V6 roared like some sort of Mopar 440 screaming "I'm a GUUUUUY!" It was at that moment my girlfriend looked at me and said "I think Demon is a dude." Yeah...he's a dude. Sadly I had to sell Demon so we could have a place to live but he went to a very good home.

Years later I bought my very first Miata. I could tell from the drive home it was a he. Much like Demon he was pretty aggressive. I struggled for weeks thinking of name but, one night I'm driving home from work and decided to take the long way home. As I'm driving down somewhat twisty roads it hits me. Even though there were other cars on the street and even people walking on the sidewalks there was no sound except the reving of the 1.6. I remember thinking that it was kinda creepy. Like I was in some sort of Void... Void... That's it! So from that day his name was Void. Then about 4 months ago this year Void was stolen from me. I got a call from Metro saying "We found your car... Or at least what's left of it." When I went to look at him he was just a shell. No life left. No spirit. Just a Void of a car. Ironic really.

A few months later I bought another Miata. Hakumei is her name. (Oh a she this time?) I figured she was a girl because she doesn't share any of the same traits as Void. She's not aggressive at all. More elegant and balanced instead of hey look at me. Now on to the name. I knew I wanted to give her a Japanese name since well it is an import after all. I remember looking at a set of Cosmos gauges from Adam and the word twilight popped in mind. So I looked up twilight in Japanese and simply picked the one that sounded best and rolled off the tongue nicely. Since there's about ten words that mean twilight. I feel it's a very suiting name. Especially with the purple paint job.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slipstreem For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (07-23-2016),JamieH (02-28-2018),TNRooster3 (09-23-2015)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! charchri4's Avatar
    Drives
    96 LS1 swapped Miata
    Thanks Given
    Jenna is my pretty girl. She is a total flirt and those poor Corvettes just can't help themselves. They buzz around her like moths to a flame and usually get burned.

With too many cylinders and too many bolt ons she is as rambunctious as any bad girl and very dangerous to dance with.

Jenna is no lady and a bit of a slut when it comes to tracks, she'll strut her stuff anywhere so even an autocross will do...

And even though they are the same size her sister is little one.

She only has 2 pedals and enjoys Sunday drives and date weekends with just enough room for my wife and I.

Lil' one is a quiet and refined little lady which is the polar opposite of her tramp big sister.

To tell you the truth I would be hard pressed to pick one over the other as my fav but I wouldn't part with either of them!
    Last edited by charchri4; 09-23-2015 at 09:47 AM.
    Jim Stainer
    96 Miata powered by an 02 Camaro SS
    95 Miata automatic, all options all stock but if an LFX auto came along cheap...
    http://jimsmiata.blogspot.com/

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charchri4 For This Useful Post:

HarryB (09-23-2015),Slipstreem (09-23-2015),TNRooster3 (09-23-2015)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Hey guys glad someone jumped back in and talked about naming their cars. Thx

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TNRooster3 For This Useful Post:

Slipstreem (09-23-2015)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Warbird is the name i chose for my NA before even finding it and is inspired by Adam aka Revlimiter's Warbird gauges which i fell in love with when i first saw them. Said gauges:

Of course the KG Works gauge panel was the 'nail in the coffin' that these gauges would be the start of an aviation theme.

Of course stock the 97M hardly lived up to it:

The only pic of the exterior when it was completely stock.

Stock minus the Nardi steering wheel, NRG hub and quick release

It has come closer to my 'vision' in the 2 years of ownership but still has a ways to go:

Still a ways to go to live up to the name though.

Also Todd aka MC70 has been a important part in getting ideas since he has worked in the aviation field and has a aviation theme going on his 96 Chaste(a car i almost bought before he did) and took all those great pics above of the progress so far...love the pictures!!
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 09-24-2015 at 01:42 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Slipstreem (09-23-2015),TNRooster3 (11-04-2015)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 851 Posts
    Those gauge face plates are stunning. custom made?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Demon I Am For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (09-23-2015)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Hum...you are talking in code but i think i can decipher. If you are referring to the gauges, yes they are custom Warbird gauges.

If you are referring to the gauge panel it is a aluminum KG Works that the lettering was coming off and had a few deep scratches so i took it apart and sanded and finished it with a red scotch brite pad.

The gauges are better than ever with Revlimiter's anti glare glass, repainted needle tips with the tails cut off the speedometer and tachometer needles and 5 led red bulbs, see post #155:
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....9734%3B/page11

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

TNRooster3 (11-04-2015)

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch debbid's Avatar
    Drives
    White 1996
    Thanks Given
    I guess I'll call mine the TIE MX5 from now on haha. I recently got my custom vanity plate to properly convey my love for Star Wars. I went with the TIE designation because its small and nimble like a Miata!

1996 Mazda Miata - The TIE MX5

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to debbid For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (07-23-2016),Slipstreem (09-23-2015),TNRooster3 (11-04-2015)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 851 Posts
    I was refering to the cover plates on your 3 gauges in your center console. Did they come with those black outer shrouds, or was that something custom? Are they functional? I'm not sure what the middle one is for, water temp? Maf temp?.

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Oh sorry lost in translation. They are made that way. They are Westach gauges that are actually used for planes but came across them thru Track Dog Racing and the Westach emblem is part of why i chose the winged emblem.

The left one is a oil pressure gauge, center is a dual air temperature gauge and the right is a fluid temp gauge im using for water temp. I still have a Falcon voltage gauge(looks like the Westach gauges), Westach boost gauge, Westach fluid temp for oil temp and a AEM UEGO gauge with a custom Revlimiter gauge face to match the others...lots of gauges...like a plane.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Demon I Am (09-24-2015),HarryB (09-24-2015),TNRooster3 (11-04-2015)

Idling - Listen to it purr... MEOrdonez73's Avatar
    Drives
    a 2014 Black Miata MX-5 GT
    Thanks Given
    I've owned a lot of cars in my life time (74), some had names and some didn't, some were males, and some were females. 2014 I want to feel what is was like owning a roadster again, like the 1963 AH Sprite; so I when looking for a 2014 Miata Club. It had to have a manual transmission, be Black and the up graded suspension and PosiDif. I am retired and live in Florida which turns out most of the dealers have Miatas with Auto trannys I looked high and low through out the state and could not find a Miata Club with a manual transmission. I tried to order one but every dealer I spoke to wanted to add a finders fee to the price of the car and also charge me transportation fees. I was about to purchase a white Sport Miata 5 Speed Manual when I spotted a Black Mica Grand Touring with a 6 Speed Manual. I did want or need leather seats and all the extras that added 5K more to the price tag. Thanks to my wife who pointed out that 5K more was less than the amount it would have cost me if the Club had to be shipped from California where there were more manual cars than any where else, plus the out of state dealers price and the finders fee at the local dealers. I offered to buy the GT at a 1K discount and the dealer agreed.

Now once I got the car home a neighbor friend came over to see the car and said Oh you bought one of those Mazda cars with a SmileyFace and I realized the Miata was female and SmileyFace she is.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MEOrdonez73 For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (07-23-2016),TNRooster3 (11-04-2015)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    I know I've been gone for a while. Anyone else want to join in and reply about their car's name and why it got that name?

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I have several for mine, depending on it's condition. I don't think it would be appropriate to list them here. ;)

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (07-23-2016),RustRat (07-24-2016),tsingson (07-23-2016)

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast