Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hardest Danged Oil Change EVER!

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch NobleRogue's Avatar
    Drives
    "97" Miata NA
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Circuit Dreaming View Post
    1: remove the intake manifold brace.
    2: when installing a filter, just screw it on as tight as you can with your bare hand (I have NEVER had a drop leak from this).
    3: Buy the longer MX6 GT filter.
    4: put on some rubber gloves to fairly easily remove the filter by hand.
    Hey bro, did you miss the part where I said that I used to do oil changes at Good Year? I have even been doing my own oil changes on my mom's, friends and my own cars since "96". Other than removing the intake brace, everything you said is pretty much elementary. But who knows, I could be having a blond moment so keep the simple stuff coming. Thank you for the help.

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    2001 Mazda MX5 Miata
    Thanks Given
    You post a thread asking how to make an oil filter change easier, so I provide all the necessary steps required to make the removal/install of our oil filters a 30 second job. Not everyone else knows you do not need to tighten filters super tight, nor does everyone know that rubber gloves would make removing the filter way easier as well. If you are a new Miata owner, you certainly would not know that you can buy a longer filter, and that you can remove a brace right in front of the oil filter with no found ill effects. Forum posts aren't meant to just help you, as others will search "how to change a Mata oil filter" and find this in the future. Posts like this have the possibility to help many others. Not everyone is a master oil change mechanic or something.
    Last edited by Circuit Dreaming; 06-28-2015 at 12:32 PM.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Circuit Dreaming For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (06-28-2015),Dave737 (07-02-2015),HarryB (06-28-2015),NobleRogue (06-29-2015),wannafbody (07-02-2015)

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch jstammer's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Red Mazda Miata
    Thanks Given
    I too loose a bit of blood and scrape my forearms changing my oil, but I do not trust anyone else to do the job.

If you don't have rubber gloves to help with grippingthe filter, try a piece of course sandpaper. Digs in andgives a solid grip.

I use the Purolator synthetic filters with the textured outside. Easy to grip and unscrew
    President, Treasure Coast Miata Club
    www.TreasureCoastMiataClub.webs.com

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jstammer For This Useful Post:

NobleRogue (07-02-2015)

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch NobleRogue's Avatar
    Drives
    "97" Miata NA
    Thanks Given
    I got the Fram with a gritty back side. And this one isn't over tightened. Maybe the next change wont be so bad. Rubber gloves do me no good what so ever. Check out my URL. www.facebook.com/terry.chastain.94 . It will become clear why if you look at my photo's. I have no fingers on the right hand and only two on the left.
    Last edited by NobleRogue; 07-02-2015 at 02:04 AM.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone wannafbody's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    I can't figure out why more manufacturers don't use a grippy paint on their filters...unless it's that it costs 2 cents more to manufacture.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wannafbody For This Useful Post:

NobleRogue (07-04-2015)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12