Thread: Engine shaking at idle.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch NobleRogue's Avatar
    Drives
    "97" Miata NA
    Thanks Given
    Ha! yah you are supposed to remove all of the plugs. Also, don't forget to block open the throttle (No air in means no air to compress). Do each cylinder dry. Then do them each with about three small squirts of oil (2oz) from an oil can. http://www.hirespares.com/images/CAN2-1.jpg. The wet test should provide the same results as the dry + maybe 5psi. any more than that means you have a bad piston ring. If the wet test does not show any difference then your faulty compression is coming from a bad valve. Unless you have two cylinders next to each other showing a similar drop in compression. This means you have a bad head gasket. http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/co...cting-oil.html ... www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_tbksFYhl4 . I'm not sure about the 1.6 but on the 1.8 you compression should be around 190psi. On the 1.6 there is an air valve that sits on the intake manifold above the fuel rail. This valve will sometimes get stuck closed or shut. Stuck open it can cause your idle to be to high. Stuck closed can cause your idle to be to low. Try cleaning this out with carb cleaner, if it is stuck. Be sure to let it dry before putting it back on. I hope all this is helpful. Also you may want or need to check your CPC (Cam Position Censor) and MAF (Mas Air Flow censor). If your Roadster is a "97" and subject to the OBD2 emissions set up you may also want to look at your CAC (Crank Angle Censor). If you wish or need to look at thees let me know. I will send you links on how to do them. All of thees censors can have an impact on your idle and or timing.
    Last edited by NobleRogue; 08-26-2015 at 01:38 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NobleRogue For This Useful Post:

atank (08-26-2015),Madaboutmx5s (08-26-2015)

Drives
    FM2 Turbo Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,183 Times in 472 Posts
    Likewise thanks for the advice on the idle control valve.

MadaboutMX5s

**** Tuckin 99 N2 'FM2 Turbo' Eunos Roadster ****
    **** Pitcrew Racing 'IRTB'd' Eunos Roadster ****
    **** 1995 'Stock' Satellite Blue Eunos Roadster R Limited ****
    **** 1993 Eunos Roadster 'JDM' S-Special ****
    **** 1991 'Stock' Eunos Roadster J Limited ****
    **** 1995 'Stock' Chaste White Eunos Roadster R Limited ****
    **** 1994 'Stock' Eunos Roadster RS Limited ****
    **** GReddy Turbo 'Demo' Chaste White Eunos Roadster R Limited ****

Instagram
    Facebook