Thread: Paul B's 90 NA "Build"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Paul B's Avatar
    Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 575 Posts
    Well looks like I've gotten the Miata bug again. It is a bummer that motivation for the Miata has returned so late in the season here. Figured I'd write about it a little bit here.

Family, other hobbies and a lot of overtime work got in the way this summer and I neglected the car. Barely got to drive it. Barely worked on it.

Also, a failed NY state inspection in July gave me the blues. It was my own stupid fault. Didn't have the reverse light hooked up in the GV Panel. Horn hasn't worked in a Miata of mine in 15 years. And was running only run 1 windshield wiper for a while. Becauseracecar.

Usually the local shop asks me how many miles are on the car and gives me a sticker. I don't purposely try to skip steps of the inspection but 26 yr old cars dont garner much attention from the inspectors here in NY. Mileage, sticker, pay cash, out the door. This particular day the shop seemed busier than normal and a lot of customer's eyes were on my car as I pulled in. Inspector actually had to pretend to do his job. Asked to see the reverse lights... nothing.... Asked for horn....nothing. Saw the wiper missing...3 strikes. Couldn't let me go. I totally understood. Not trying to risk anyone's job/career/business/livelihood. He let me go and told me to come back later with at least two wipers. I haven't gone back.

All very simple fixes but it just bummed me out. Then it motivated me to actually fix my horn. And figure out the reverse light. And install the wiper.

Horn was hardest part as I'm not very good with wires. I messed up the horn connector on my clock spring like an idiot when I first installed the Nardi wheel. Basically, had to cut the horn wire running up the column, extend it and wire up a momentary button. Bypassed the horn button on the wheel completely. Installed button to the left of the wheel in a blank OEM switch. (see above door bar photo for my horn button)

Used Adam's write up (thank you) to tap into the OEM wiring and got the reverse light working. Stripped a 1/4" long section of OEM wire, and wrapped GV reverse light wire into it. Wrapped it with some electrical tape. Bing bang boom. Light works. Did it this way so it can be undone easily. will connect it permanently when the panel is painted and installed permanently.

Also installed a 1" ebay hub spacer to get the wheel a bit closer to me.

Ordered up the DIY roadster door bars as seen above. Still gotta install passenger side.

Also ordered another must have Miata part that I've been putting off forever......the Miata Roadster short shift kit. Got a stock height , non-tapered bootless model with polished finish. Almost wish I got one an inch or two taller but Im sure I will love it once it comes in. either way its better than what Im using now. Hopefully it comes in time so I get to use it this year before car goes away for winter.

Today I re-installed the OEM taillight panel. GV panel will sit until I can get it properly painted and properly installed. It never seems to fit on the edges the way it should. May even wait until I can get it grafted into the car permanently. Maybe I'll sell it. Idk.

Glad to say that I am back in love with the Miata. Not that I didn't love it...Idk how to explain it.

Glad to say that I have been able to acquire pieces that I have wanted for years.

Cant wait to see what parts I acquire over winter.

Really thinking about Blackbird Fabworx bar....hmmmmm. The way Adam's works with the Lotus seats is my deciding factor. Currently my roll bar puts the belt behind the shoulder of the seat and limits how far the seat goes back.

Anyone interested in a HDHCHTDD with Harness Bar?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul B For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (10-24-2016),NCGreasemonkey (10-22-2016),Phatmiata (11-02-2016)