Thread: "Mr. Miata" 1997 Miata NA Build Thread

Idling - Listen to it purr... zachhouseknecht's Avatar
    Drives
    1997 Montego Blue Miata NA
    Thanks Given

"Mr. Miata" 1997 Miata NA Build Thread

EDIT - If a Mod sees this, can it be moved to the Build section, didn't even see it until after I posted. Sorry!

Alright, so I picked up my 1997 Miata about two months ago. 232k on the clock when I picked it up. I intend to get the car back to Stage 0, by going over everything and replacing it as needed. As well as the regular belts, and fluids will be getting all changed here shortly. It doesn't run "bad" at all, it's not perfect though, as I didn't expect for a car with that much mileage under it's belt. But it's a great first Miata. I've already learned a lot about the car from forums such as this one, as well as reading up on diagnostic processes for starting (currently have an issue with starting when hot).

So here he is, I've nicknamed the car Mr. Miata, which is a play on Mr. Miyagi, hopefully you know where he's from.

And one of the interior, not bad for it's age. I've added the rubber mats, since the old [carpet] ones were in bad shape. Also did pull straps from RevLimiter since the oem door handles dug into my leg. Can't say how much tall/fat man deletes and mods have helped.

What I've Added so far (can't recommend these enough, not paid to say that either )
    ADDED - Door Strap Pulls - http://revlimiter.net/store/doorstraps.php
    ADDED - Moss Miata Rubber Mats - http://www.mossmiata.com/Shop/ViewPr...K-AaAvCr8P8HAQ
    ADDED - Moss Miata Non Slip Pedal Pads - http://www.mossmiata.com/Shop/ViewPr...eIndexID=88464
    ADDED - OEM Hardtop, picked up used, a necessity here in PA, considering I have no garage.
    ADDED - Clutch Safety Override from FlyinMiata - https://www.flyinmiata.com/clutch-sw...1990-2005.html

What I've Fixed so far (or replaced)
    FIXED - Stock Intake Filter Replaced & MAF Sensor Cleaned
    FIXED - Oil Filter/Oil Changed to Synthetic
    FIXED - Clutch Slave Cylinder Replaced (gave out on the way to work, thought my clutch was done, luckily not!)
    FIXED - Battery Replaced (weak cranking, didn't resolve all starting issues, but most)
    FIXED - Wheel Studs on Pass. Front (unfortunately previous owner crossthreaded a lugnut on and the only way to get it off was breaking it)
    FIXED - Windshield (scratched to hell, factored in when I picked up the car)

Plans to replace, fix, what have you, more of a checklist for myself and to see progress.
    ( ) Ignition System
    ( ) Fuel Filter
    ( ) Transmission Fluid, Diff, Coolant
    ( ) Belt/Hose Replacement
    ( ) Waterpump....starting to leak
    ( ) Whenever it breaks, replace it, logical right?
    ( ) Wrap it with vinyl, well I'm actually starting on this during the weekend. I actually work with vinyl for my second job, so I get a good discount, and it's a lot cheaper than paint. Expect an update on visuals this weekend sometime. Also, I realize visual should probably be after all the mechanical, but I also want to protect it's paint considering PA winter is quickly approaching.

Thanks for stopping by and checking out my build thread. Hopefully it will become more exciting as time goes by, I'm excited to do a lot with my first Miata! I'm already hooked just driving it!
    Last edited by zachhouseknecht; 01-08-2016 at 08:27 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zachhouseknecht For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (01-08-2016),NCGreasemonkey (01-11-2016)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Glad to see you made a build thread!

Since you have the Flyin Miata clutch override, might a suggest a S2000 push button start...Revlimiter has a very thorough right up and that modification is still one of my favorites especially since i have the Flyin Miata clutch override as well do you just press the button.

Also doing it Adam's, aka Revlimiter, way you can still start the car normally if the button, relay or whatever else associated with the push button start fails. It's a decently inexpensive mod with the S2000 button being the most costly part.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone RustRat's Avatar
    Drives
    Red NA8C 1.6L
    Thanks Given
    I hadn't realised US miatas had this clutch switch, which is dumb even in newer cars. I guess your cars had better OEM equipment generally.

Car is looking good, nice and clean. I'll wait to see the finished product before I comment about vinyl wrap. I like what I see so far!

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Euro NB/NB2s have it as well . Looks like you have a solid plan. Looking forward to see the next changes!

Drives
    Thanks Given
    @RustRat - Yea. Clutch safeties never made sense to me, but it seems like they are common in a lot of cars now. Also the vinyl is more of a short term solution. The paint actually isn't in the worst condition, but I want to protect the car this winter since it isn't garaged. I plan on getting a nice paint job back to the OEM Montego Blue potentially later this year. I'll post photos of the vinyl process in this thread shortly.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Here's a picture of the car so far, didn't get to work on it as much as I hoped. Also still trying to figure out my warm start issue. Initially thought it was voltage related, but it's more than likely a sensor or temp sensor.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zachhouseknecht For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (01-11-2016),Paul B (01-10-2016),RustRat (01-11-2016)