Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Everything RDU 2016

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone RustRat's Avatar
    Drives
    Red NA8C 1.6L
    Thanks Given
    NA8 and NB have the same AC parts and system in general?

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    There are differences. I know some NBs, maybe all, have a parallel flow condenser. The evaporator valve on the r134a cars may be different, the pressure switch is different between the r12 and r134a cars.

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    1990 MX-5
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    All my AC parts I bought from Rock Auto. The '97 parts I bought from a guy building a Spec Miata.

I would also note, it may be worth it to have a shop diagnose what took yours down; leak, bad switch, relay, or mechanical.
    Mine is working, just not well. I'd like to leave it to someone else to investigate, but unfortunately the conveniently located shop was about to start disassembling the whole car to figure it out (before I stopped them)... never again.

Performance problems are, of course, harder than simple worky/no-worky to troubleshoot, but I let them know to call me before taking any action and they didn't. I also mentioned it has non-stock (hydra) engine management and the non-stock FM radiator/fan upgrade should be obvious to any mechanic worth his pesos.

I know most of the pieces but a shortage of tools and time make it a question of how much time do I want to waste, or do I want to just try rebuilding the whole system so I know everything is optimal. I've heard converted R134a systems never quite blow ice cubes, and it makes sense, but not enough to not hedge my bets without real data.

For now, I might consider some reasonable window tinting and adding some insulation to the firewall, as I was considering it anyway and could get this done before my road trip. Then I can take more time to properly approach the A/C later.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I have seen bits of data here and there. Probably the best I found on converting r12 to r134a was on a BMW e30 forum. Someone documented the compressor and hardware changes and even went so far as to document temp changes at the center vents, including moving to a parallel flow condenser. IIRC, it was colder with all that than the factory spec'd for the r12. My 134 conversion isn't as cold as the r12 used to be, but it's still really effective and works fine for me here. Enough that I usually have to turn it down after a while because I get cold. It's such a small cabin, it doesn't need to be crazy efficient. I run a hardtop year round, so that probably helps. I used sun shields on the front and back windows if I park in the sun, too.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

misuzu (04-20-2016),tsingson (04-21-2016)

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    1990 MX-5
    Thanks Given
    Now that you mention it, a sun shield probably helps a lot and I should dig around for mine. If I recall correctly from the last time I measured, sitting in the sun for a few hours can bring my interior to around 120F on a 70 something day

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 851 Posts
    I thoroughly enjoyed having the cockpit cover that I picked up with my hard top stand. You could leave the roof down on a sunny day. Interior stays shaded, cool, and protected from birds/squirrels/heat damage. I need to order a new one.

I have been thinking about a full car cover for the house, though. The driveway is under oak trees, so the car is constantly pooped on.

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Was very interested in getting one but have the roll bar.

Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Worked with all of my rollbars.

In fact, I'd often keep a pool noodle and a tarp in the trunk when the car was topless. the pool noodle was notched to rest on the roll bar and header, like a bikini bar. The tarp would cover the open areas, and the canopy cover would hold it to the car. The pool noodle keep the water from puddling up over the seats.

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    My bad. I was thinking tonneau.

Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Though, if you are interested I have an almost new black soft top boot that I modded to fit the rollbar. Was new in bag when I got it, used for maybe 3 months, periodically.

To mod it, I just popped a few of the stitches. I may just sew it back to normal, then sell it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Demon I Am For This Useful Post:

tsingson (04-21-2016)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    I had one but I don't know if I gave it away. Without a soft top, I don't worry about it being exposed anymore.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,162 Posts
    Cars & Coffee this Saturday in Goldsboro, NC, starts at 8am. Looks like they are trying something different. Some kind of cruise thing, no idea when they will start that or where it goes. I will be at this C&C with Betty

Let me know who is interested. Anthony asked about a possible place to meet up at before going to the C&C. I think the Rosewood Wal-Mart parking lot will work. I'm thinking towards the back of the lot near the Smithfield's Chicken. Address for the Rosewood WM: 2908 Us Highway 70 W, Goldsboro, NC 27530

I can meet those interested at that location and then everyone can follow me to the C&C.

Address for the Cars & Coffee in Goldsboro: S Center St, Goldsboro, NC 27530 It's at the very end of the street past the fire dept. (or at least it was the one time I've been)

Only thing I think should be said is that it's kind of a small C&C, I've only been the one time a few months ago. I've heard reports that it got smaller since then, but then again it has warmed up since. Also, chance of rain my keep some people from showing. I'm going to be there rain or shine.

Just thought I'd let y'all know if anyone is interested or is available and looking for something to do this Saturday.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

tsingson (05-26-2016)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,162 Posts
    Just checking if I need to meet anyone at the Rosewood Wal-Mart. Otherwise, I will be driving straight to the C&C location.

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    I am coming through Jamie. What time do you think I should leave? 645?

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift NCGreasemonkey's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 NA NA8 w/small tweeks
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 859 Posts
    I can almost taste the Wilbur's BBQ! <sniff-sniff>

This is prep-weekend for the early June, vaca. week-off, throw a lot of big part on Noir.

—tsingson— Grab a pound of 'Q and some fixin's and head this way the week following June 5th. Cage, V-8 rails, Frog arms and whatever else I have and can get put on installed before a few days of rest week.
    Last edited by NCGreasemonkey; 05-27-2016 at 08:44 PM.
    ... Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    ...and don't be like an NCGreasemonkey.
    For the thread on Noir click below
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....e-light-Slowly

19. The Following User Says Thank You to NCGreasemonkey For This Useful Post:

tsingson (05-27-2016)

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast