Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fortune 510 series coilovers for my car!

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch Silver92B's Avatar
    Drives
    1992 Silverstone
    Thanks Given
    Well, I've spent a frustrating day trying to isolate a loud bump that comes from the right rear area of the car. Got it up on the lift 3 times and checked practically every fastener in the rear suspension and the rear end. Even moved the rear brace down with some spacers to get it farther away from the tail pipe. Found that the battery was not fastened securely enough and could move a bit so went to great lengths to secure it as well as possible... All for naught, I still have the noise/bump when I go over rough patches of road or irregularities. It's really hard to evaluate the coilovers for their ride when that clunk/bang/bump happens.
    So far everyone who's driven the car was very impressed with the coilovers even though the noise happened during the rough bumps on the road. I would appreciate any ideas about what the noise could be and how to eliminate it. It sounds as though some part of the car bumps hard against the body/frame in the right rear part of the trunk (right where the battery is). We spent quite some time rechecking every mounting point of the coilovers as well as the obvious mounting points of the rear end. I also emptied the trunk completely and secured everything in there that I could see as well as possible... Oh yeah, as the suspension settled a bit, I raised the car about 1/2" in all corners.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Titus's Avatar
    Drives
    1992 Sunburst, 1993 LE
    Thanks Given
    Driftdevil had a very similar clunk in the rear on his car. It turned out the top nut that secures the shock body to the top hat was a little loose. when the suspension unloads on full droop the spring would clunk against the top hat. We pulled it off and he hit it lightly with an impact. Clunk gone.
    '92 Sunburst- www.v6miata.com
    '93 LE- officially the wife's car, but usually my daily driver

Drives
    90 NA6
    Thanks Given
    Those coilovers look awesome! The fact that they're all dyno'd is a huge plus too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver92B View Post
    I don't know if you've driven from Tacoma to Seattle, but that road is truly miserable. I doubt anything would feel comfortable on that road
    I do that drive on a monthly basis and my frame rails are half an inch off the ground. It's awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by stormin'norman View Post
    The other three vehicles were E36 M3's and an Evo. Moton Singles & Ohlins DFV's respectively.
    I knew one of those cars was going to be an M3. I rode in an E92 M3 on Moton's and it was one of the most comfortable sports cars I've ever been in. You'd never know it was on pretty stiff coilovers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver92B View Post
    Well, I've spent a frustrating day trying to isolate a loud bump that comes from the right rear area of the car. Got it up on the lift 3 times and checked practically every fastener in the rear suspension and the rear end. Even moved the rear brace down with some spacers to get it farther away from the tail pipe. Found that the battery was not fastened securely enough and could move a bit so went to great lengths to secure it as well as possible... All for naught, I still have the noise/bump when I go over rough patches of road or irregularities. It's really hard to evaluate the coilovers for their ride when that clunk/bang/bump happens.
    So far everyone who's driven the car was very impressed with the coilovers even though the noise happened during the rough bumps on the road. I would appreciate any ideas about what the noise could be and how to eliminate it. It sounds as though some part of the car bumps hard against the body/frame in the right rear part of the trunk (right where the battery is). We spent quite some time rechecking every mounting point of the coilovers as well as the obvious mounting points of the rear end. I also emptied the trunk completely and secured everything in there that I could see as well as possible... Oh yeah, as the suspension settled a bit, I raised the car about 1/2" in all corners.
    What's your ride height? At a certain point, the frame just sits on the rear upper control arms, that's how mine is. Here's a shot of it unloaded.

IMG_5220 by bedheadben, on Flickr
    Boss Performance Shift Knobs!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

adamvanxxx: I just realized the S in your logo is a header.
    hippari: my mind is so blown right now.

Drives
    1992 Silverstone
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by bedheadben View Post
    Those coilovers look awesome! The fact that they're all dyno'd is a huge plus too.

I do that drive on a monthly basis and my frame rails are half an inch off the ground. It's awful.

What's your ride height? At a certain point, the frame just sits on the rear upper control arms,
    Thanks! I just checked and my car is settled overnight at 12" front and 13" rear (from center of wheel to edge of fender)
    I think I will drive it up on the ramps ans check it out.

Drives
    90 NA6
    Thanks Given
    I don't think you're having the problem I described. Tighten down the nuts on the top of the shocks on both sides. At the same time I don't think that's the problem because as I see the coilovers came pre-assembled with their own tophats.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Drives
    1992 Silverstone
    Thanks Given
    I finally found the problem. After switching sides with the coilovers, the clunk went from right to left along with the shock absorber . This morning I determined that the shock absorber is not traveling fully and seems to hit something inside of the cartridge. Joe spoke with Terry and FA is sending a new cartridge to replace the faulty one. As soon as it gets here I'll have it installed!

Drives
    90 NA6
    Thanks Given
    Nice! That's a problem I've never heard of before with new coilovers.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Drives
    1992 Silverstone
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by bedheadben View Post
    Nice! That's a problem I've never heard of before with new coilovers.
    Yeah, it's a bummer. I guess anything can happen, looks like maybe something got loose inside the cartridge and is preventing it to even move very much.

Drives
    1992 Silverstone
    Thanks Given
    I have an update:
    The problem is solved. After replacing the defective shock absorber, the ride improved immensely. I am riding on the coilovers with a setting of 5 clicks from the softest (there are about 40 clicks of total adjustment). The ride is wonderful, very smooth and comfortable. The handling is excellent as well. So far I am very happy with these Fortune 510 coilovers. I'll post another review after enough time has passed to make a valid evaluation.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power atlnb's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    great to hear that it got resolved. nice meeting you too
    Xida CS | Hard Dog | Corn*s | Bride | Joyfast | Carbing | Beatrush | 6UL | KG Works | Square-Top Manifold | BP5A Cam | Daily/CSP build

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Blueiii's Avatar
    Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    I'm curious how these will compare to the FM VMAXX? The stage 2.5 track setup vs. these seem to be comparable, only with higher spring rates on the FM setup and an adjustable shock. Oh, decisions decisions....

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone etikoner's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    This is a monotube Coilover.

FM VMaxx is european dump your car cheap suspension.

I want these. I'd prolly go for them with the swift springs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12